I have a budget of about $500 or so. When I go to the guitar store what are some things I should look out for as I try out different guitars? Also, what are some good models in that price range?

Thanks a lot for the help!
What music do you play?

What amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Try out some tokai LP's !

I got mine (tokai "love rock(et)" 48) for ~ 500-600 USD.

And it feels much better than the epi's i have played in that price range...(same price as an epi. std.)
Amp:
Marshall DSL401 Spk:V30
Guitars:
Fender MIM Strat Black
Tokai Love Rock(et) 48 Vintage sunburst
Effects:
Maxon OD808
Slash Wah
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-B-Stock-Les-Paul-Custom-Flametop-Electric-Guitar-518321-i1149980.gc
This is the Epi I bought a few years ago. Feels good with great tone. Don't rule it out because it's out of your price range. There's a lot of good epiphones out there and I've seen this one going for $450 on clearance at guitar center. Usually, with the customs, you can get them down about $100 if it isn't on sale. But most importantly, just go to your store and try as many LPs as possible.
as of $500 for a les paul if its a Gibson its a Cheapo with that you can get a good epiphone (i know they arent as good but theyre still good) My personal favorite would be the Standard Ebony
$500 is the range where you buy a Michael Kelly Patriot if you want a single cut.

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Epi Les Paul Standard. Fer sure.
Heads will roll. Throats will be slit. Blood will flow like springs of water.
Washburn wi65/66 pro. Singlecut, and frankly the best you're gonna get for around that price.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by FacingUsAll
$500 is the range where you buy a Michael Kelly Patriot if you want a single cut.

you seem to advertise them a lot. how much are they paying you
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
you seem to advertise them a lot. how much are they paying you

Nothing, although they should start paying me .

In my opinion, they are by far the best guitars in that price range.
Quote by utsapp89
If you can hand pick the very best Epi you find out of a bunch of about 8 or 9 (preferably 12 or 13), then it'll beat anythign else you find in the same price band - yes, including Agile, Tokai, Vintage, Edwards and MKPs.

However, unless you can really sit down with a large selection of Epis and try them all out thouroughly, then it's not worth the risk. For every single 'super' Epi there is, there are ten average ones and five awful ones, and there's no way of really telling the quality of an Epi until it's in your hands and you're playing it.

As such, if you can get access to a lot of Epis to try out, I would say, go for them; if you find a great one, you won't be able to beat it.
If though you don't have the chance to try out enough guitars, or this seems like too much hassle, then don't even think about risking an Epi. My preference at that point would then be Tokai, then Vintage, Edwards and Agile are about the same, and frankly I've never been impressed by MKPs at all (played three; none of which impressed me tonally or from a quality stand point, and I think they look ugly as sin and ruined the LP shape, but everyone here seems to have a hard-on for them so maybe I'm alone in this opinion), but hey, give them ago, maybe they're like Epis where you need to try out a bunch before you find a star one.
No matter how good the Epi, at that price range it's still going to have lackluster pickups and electronics.

They aren't bad guitars by any means; their are just better guitars at equivalent prices, in my opinion.

I'd take a MIJ Tokai or Edwards over a Gibson every day of the week.

Quote by utsapp89
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by FacingUsAll
What music do you play?

What amp do you have?

Diff genre's of rock

Need a new amp (current Line X Spider 3)
Add $300 and you can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Mahogany(spelling) color. thats as close as you can get if you only spending that much on a Gibson Les Paul. DO NOT BUY EPIPHONE!!
Quote by nasstyman
i busted a g-string while fingering a minor...
Quote by 18zzz18
REPLY DUDE! YOU COULD BE THE SAVIOUR OF THE EARTH AND ALL OF MANKIND! (:
0h @nd U M@Y H@V3 2 T@LK L1K3 TH1S..... 1TZ TH3 L@NGU@G3 0F TH3 FUTUR3
Quote by RMC06
My old band teacher once called me a penis wrinkle.
Quote by MetallicGod07
DO NOT BUY EPIPHONE!!

Says the guy with a line6 spider and fender starcaster...
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by staticoverdub
Says the guy with a line6 spider and fender starcaster...
lol. You got me there. Put I'm getting a new amp and a Gibson les Paul studio. in Ebony. Anyway, I saw on YouTube how they Compared and Epiphone with a Gibson. They said the Epiphone's frets would come off the neck. I would check it out. But thats jsut me.
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Quote by MetallicGod07
Add $300 and you can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio in Mahogany(spelling) color. thats as close as you can get if you only spending that much on a Gibson Les Paul. DO NOT BUY EPIPHONE!!
Eww, god no.

You do realise that all Studios - the Gibson ones included - are made from off-cuts of B and C-grade wood, with softer hardware? They are absolutely horrible guitars.
Funnily enough, the only good LP Studio is in fact an Epi one - the limited edition Alpine white with floyd rose bridge (say what you will about their production models, but Epi take damn good care over their limited run instruments. Why they can't do it with all of their regular guitars, I don't know).

An Epiphone Standard LP is in fact closer to a real Gibson LP than a Gibson Studio LP is, in terms of actual spec and build.

If you want a cheap Gibson LP, a Classic/Classic Antique is your best bet - essentually a Standard, just with less choice in neck/finish combinations and different pickups (debatable whether they're actually better or worse). Anything less than that and you're wasting your money.
Eww, god no.

You do realise that all Studios - the Gibson ones included - are made from off-cuts of B and C-grade wood, with softer hardware? They are absolutely horrible guitars.
!!!!!
Quote by nasstyman
Quote by 18zzz18
Quote by RMC06
Why don't you try out a Hagstrom Super Swede? Pretty sweet deal for the money. I've seen reviews people said it owned EPI LP standard in every aspects. They're pretty smoking beautiful, too!
Try and find an Orville LP on ebay. It's the Japanese-market-only version of Gibson and although they don't have that famous name on the headstock, in every other way they're a Gibson Les Paul. So you're getting Gibbo quality for Epiphone prices: and considering how overpriced Gibsons are these days, it makes sense!
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
Quote by peterocker

Note on this one:
These guitars are no longer made. Although you can still get some online, they are all from before Epiphone made the body material switch, so they all are made with a mahogany/alder mix (newer Epis are made entirely with mahogany, like true Gibsons, from the mid range upwards).
Also, you should never, ever buy an Epi online anyway. Their quality control is so random, you have to try out the instrument before you buy it, if you buy online then you can easily be wasting all your money on a guitar that will fall apart when you play it (literally, in some cases).

As such, the Classic range from Epiphone really aren't a viable option for anyone anymore unless you want a slightly lighter tone than usual (and for whatever reason, don't want as much sustain either), and if you're willing to take the risk that the chances are the guitar you receive will be low quality. You never know, you could luck out, but I don't really think it's worth the risk myself.

All that said, the Epi Custom Plus are the stand-in now for the older Classics, and in fact if anything are an improvement over the Classics (mahogany opposed to mahogany/alder, AA flame maple top instead of regular quilt maple top). Or if you really are burning for a lighter quilt maple-topped Epi LP, there's the Ultra, you just have to make do with the fact it will sound more like a hollowbody than a solidbody.
Quote by musiciansfriend
Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top Features:

Mahogany body and neck
Chrome hardware
24-3/4" scale length
Carved quilted maple top
Ships with pickguard unattached for pristine finish option
Rosewood fretboard
Trapezoid inlays
Body and neck binding
2 open-coil humbuckers
2 volume and 2 tone controls
1.68" nut

^ They advertised the ones with Alder in. No Alder in that advertisement.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.