Just got a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and I noticed it has an effects loop. I basically understand what that it is - an input for pedals avoiding the amp equalizing, but what I'd like to know is how I can switch it off and on.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is you plug your guitar into the amp input as normal then line up the effects in the pre-amp. But is there any way to cut the effects out when I don't want them, going back to just the pure guitar and amp tone?

At first I thought it's just a question of tapping the pedals off as usual and the amp would detect that. But then I realized things like my wah pedal can't be turned off, the effect goes but the tone is still manipulated slightly (on this Vox anyway - it just turns everything all flat and lifeless).

So how can it be done?
If at all...
I have the same amp as you and I just got a Boss ME-50 multieffect. Im not really an expert on pedals and whatnot, but I just plug it in the 1st input slot. Im a little confused by your question and the tone is fine when the effects are off.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
SoccerRM1, the manual says if you plug into input 1 you're also getting the amps equalization. That can sound fine, like it obviously is for you, the manual also says put it into input 2, and you'll get the pure pedal tone, but usually, people plug multi-effects such as your pedal into the effects loop. Because you get the pedal's equalization and nothing else. The amp won't mess up any EQ tweaks you've made on the pedal.

What I want to do; be able to switch between the pure tone of the amp and guitar (plugged into input 1) and the effects loop tone (labeled pre-amp and power amp in). Basically taking the entire effects loop out of the equation completely (not just all pedals turned off, out the circuit).
^ Some amps have a switchable FX loop like you're describing, the HRD isn't one of them.

The FX loop is best for modulation effect like chorus/delay/phase/etc. You should keep your wah out between your guitar and the amp's input. That's where wah's and OD/distortion pedals work best.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Not sure man, but now that i know this, i'll probably plug my multieffect into the second input so i dont have to mess around with any knobs except for on the multieffect. I would like to keep the reverb from the amp tho, because it's better than the one on my multieffect. I dont know how you will accomplish what you want, but someone might be able to figure out a way.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
Not sure man, but now that i know this, i'll probably plug my multieffect into the second input so i dont have to mess around with any knobs except for on the multieffect.

Your guitar still runs thru the preamp, keeping all the tone controls and whatnot still having an influence on your tone. You put something like a Multi-FX into the FX loop so that it's not influenced by the preamp. Instead, it's applying it's effects to the already preamped signal.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.