I shred alot, and I have a tiny, agile plectrum/pick. It's really good compared to those clumsy big ones. But when I looked at it I realised it's name was "Dunlop Jazz III". JAZZ? WTF? It's perfect for metal, and it's called Jazz III....

So I wonder what kind of picks other shredders use, so can you tell me what picks you use?
Most shredders use the Jazz III.

If you like it, why do you care what its name is?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 9, 2007,
i dont really shred...
but i like those dunlop tear drop ones.
the .88mm ones preferably

but i cant find them anywhere :@
Top lel.
hehe i thought this was a thread about picks actually made of metal.

which i used to use. they were called stilettos i believe.

i can't seem to find the exact brand but.. here's pics of metal picks anyway

Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
hehe, i use to use them back in highschool but i wasn't smart enough to use them properly back then. i'd just end up shredding my strings up. i wouldn't mind giving them another go just to see if i could use them.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Most shredders use the Jazz III.

If you like it, why do you care what its name is?

It's just kind of stupid to call it Jazz, since Jazz is completely different from metal. Whatever the name is, I will always use Jazz III I guess, until I find a better one.
Quote by VikingMetalhead
I shred alot, and I have a tiny, agile plectrum/pick. It's really good compared to those clumsy big ones. But when I looked at it I realised it's name was "Dunlop Jazz III". JAZZ? WTF? It's perfect for metal, and it's called Jazz III....

So I wonder what kind of picks other shredders use, so can you tell me what picks you use?

Many shredders and metalheads use Jazz III's. They are called that because they were originally made for jazz players who used tiny, but accurate picks. Metal players eventually picked up on it because, incidentally, fast and accurate were what they were going for. Frankly I can't even fathom playing with any other picks now.

PS. I am a jazz player who plays metal too.
Quote by Kivarenn82
hehe i thought this was a thread about picks actually made of metal.

which i used to use. they were called stilettos i believe.

i can't seem to find the exact brand but.. here's pics of metal picks anyway

I thought the excact same thing lol , anyway yeah use the Dulop III, proper shredders pic, but if you want a metal pic dont do it, coz it sounds well, not too pretty when it drops onto your guitar
Quote by VikingMetalhead
It's just kind of stupid to call it Jazz, since Jazz is completely different from metal. Whatever the name is, I will always use Jazz III I guess, until I find a better one.

Your manhood will not be challenged because of the name of your pick.

Uh oh, my guitar is called a Blackjack, but I like Poker better. I better sell it.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 9, 2007,
the pick may have been named the Jazz III to appeal to more people that are interested in trying out new picks. some may have been put off if it was called the "Metal III" or the "Shred III"

who knows..
I am using Dunlop Tortex Wedge at the moment,but I am seriously thinking of changing them,they are preety big.So I would need something easy to handle and accurate for both shredding and palm musting.Any suggestions?
Quote by Kivarenn82
the pick may have been named the Jazz III to appeal to more people that are interested in trying out new picks. some may have been put off if it was called the "Metal III" or the "Shred III"

who knows..

If that was the case, they could have named it "Makes You Play Like Satriani III" if they wanted a marketing ploy
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Quote by Persata
If that was the case, they could have named it "Makes You Play Like Satriani III" if they wanted a marketing ploy

lol, magical plastic XD

i think it'll be a hard time for professional musicians when signature picks start coming into popularity.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Many shredders and metalheads use Jazz III's. They are called that because they were originally made for jazz players who used tiny, but accurate picks. Metal players eventually picked up on it because, incidentally, fast and accurate were what they were going for. Frankly I can't even fathom playing with any other picks now.

PS. I am a jazz player who plays metal too.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to know!

Quote by FacingUsAll
Your manhood will not be challenged because of the name of your pick.

Uh oh, my guitar is called a Blackjack, but I like Poker better. I better sell it.

Haha, I just wanted the reason why it's called Jazz III...

Quote by Megallica Dude
I am using Dunlop Tortex Wedge at the moment,but I am seriously thinking of changing them,they are preety big.So I would need something easy to handle and accurate for both shredding and palm musting.Any suggestions?

Jazz III is excellent for metal-riffs with palm muting, actually they are better than normal clumsy picks in my opinion. Disposable Heroes by Metallica involves alot of Palm Muting, like 97 % of the song is Palm Muting, and it's easier with Jazz III than those big Dunlop picks. So it looks like that Jazz III is the ultimate pick for both Palm Muting and shredding.
Does anyone know what kind of picks Yngwie Malmsteen uses? What size? Are they as small as the Jazz III or are they "the normal clumsy ones"?