I can't ever seem to get a nice thick fat sound out of the bass on our recording. What effects/tricks do you guys tend to use to thicken up the bass? I just run a compressor on it and EQ it.
Throw some light reverb on it. I like plate reverb on my bass sound, but you may not. Remember to boost the lows on your EQ, but don't get rid of the highs either.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by moody07747
It would be helpful to know how you have your recording rig setup.
What gear and software are you using and how is it all wired?

I'd like to know too. However, most people who have problems with getting the bass to kick ass has it competing with too many other instruments for sonic space. Anything that isn't a bass instrument should have a low cut applied to it. The most common frequency-stealer are guitars. Cut those at 250-400Hz depending on the sound/genre. If you have basslines that tend to follow the drums then ducking the bass using a compressor and the kick as the trigger/sidechain will allow the bass to cut through better. Adding a hint of overdrive to the bass will usually help matters too.
Gear is a Behringer Ultra bass head running the direct out into a Presonus Inpire GT with firewire. Software is Cubase LE. I might have to try the reverb idea. Thx
yea double record your guitar and bass parts and then pan each to one side. Don't just copy the first track because is the slight delay in the second record that gives you that full sound when you double up.

Pan the drum toms from L - R (from High to Low) and keep vocals in the center.

I've heard bass should be centered but I guess it can be doubled like guitar.
Quote by bsantos_5
Gear is a Behringer Ultra bass head running the direct out into a Presonus Inpire GT with firewire. Software is Cubase LE. I might have to try the reverb idea. Thx

If the head allows it and doesn't cut off the speaker out (I was unable to find a detailed feature description online) then run the direct out as you have been doing and also mic the cabinet, running both through the Inspire. That way you'll have two tracks recorded which you can tweak and then you can emphasize different things with each (for example, boosting the lows on one while adding a bit of overdrive to the other in order to cut through in the lower mids).

Personally I'm not a fan of reverb on bass, I think it muddies the attack. For panning I like to pan bass just a shade right to kind of make more room for the vocals to be dead center. It also balances out the snare being slightly to the left (I always pan drums as viewed from the drummer's viewpoint).
I hate what has become the conventional bass sound.

When I mix, I tend to Compress with a ratio of 4:1, tweak the attack, release and threshold until I get a warm sound.

Then with EQ, I heavily boost under 100Hz to get the bowel movement inducing low end, cut between 150 and 250 to get rid of the boomy tone (this space is filled by the low end of vocals and rhythm guitar) and boost again between 600 and 700, which really brings out the growl.

I agree with ebon00 about the reverb.

I always keep bass dead center in the mix. Vocals are usually recorded onto two mono tracks and panned to 20%, with vocal ambience further out.

I pan drums to the opposite of the drummer's perspective - spent too long behind the studio glass!