so, i've been looking at explorers for a while and i haven't decided which one i want to get. i just wanted some feedback from people that have played explorers in the past. By explorer i also mean the Dean Z series. any helpful reviews? stuff like action, pick ups, weight, playability, you know, the stuff that really matters.
I've always thought that the Hamer Standards were the best explorers.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
explorers have incredibly low action (well my old one did), and they still got no fret buzz at all, it was really hard selling it, but it cost me like 1049 bucks, and i guess i didn't need it since i felt no real difference between my Washburn WI64, and that, but still, explorers are great for shredding, and pinch harmonix.
i really like the regular gibson one alot... the esp one isnt bad also
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
i think explorers get a bad rap because of their shape, a lot of people will tell you that its hard to play the higher frets. while these people have obviously never played one, cause that just is not true, everyone seems to buy into it. i have very big hands, and ive never had an issue playing the higher frets of an explorer.

im not familiar with the Dean Z series, but if they're like the gibson explorers, then go for it. they kick ass. they may be a bit on the heavy side, but its not too bad. great playability and they look awesome.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
i used to have en epi goth, i loved it... i put EMG 81s in it, the thing was awesome as hell... the only reason i sold mine is because i stopped listening to all the thrash i used to listen to, and fell into alot more grunge and alternative
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
Quote by FacingUsAll

Although I prefer the Gibson X-plorer, out of the box, the older MIA Hamers are indeed very nice (an opinion) and a very nice Bang for the $$$, if you can get them.

To be fair, the Epiphone ones are an even bigger Bang for the $$$ since you can still get those from $200 - 300.

I still have the Matte Black version (Goth) and the only upgrades so far are the 496R and 500T ceramic humbuckers which come stock with the Gibson X-plorer.

One thing though, if you're of slight build and less than 5'7" or so, it'll make you look like a hobbit, not that hobbits are bad.

I've only ever played an ESP and Gibson Explorers.

In my opinion, the ESP sounded nicer. As for playability, I liked them both about the same.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
I own the ESP FX-400, greatest one ever. I like the Gibson but it wasn't for me for some reason. A tad too big I guess...plus I like the sharp look of my FX.
Quote by Ippon

One thing though, if you're of slight build and less than 5'7" or so, it'll make you look like a hobbit, not that hobbits are bad.

i agree... im a pretty big dude... the explorer looked better on me than anybody i know that has one... just because theyre huge guitars
2008 M.I.A. HSS Strat
Marshall JCM 900 50w Dual Reverb
esp explorer owns and so does the jackson kelly
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Bahahahaha, I always wanted an explorer until I just read it would make me look like a hobbit.

I just never considered it...I would look ridiculous.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by FacingUsAll

The American Standard Hamer is easily the best Explorer I have seen.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The Jackson Kelly is a pretty good guitar too. A bonus is that you can shout out its name when you play it. "Oh, Kelly, you are SOOOOOO good!!!!!!" or at least that's what I do.
Quote by Ippon

I'm 5'10 and they look pretty stupid on me

I had to borrow my friends for a show one time and felt a complete for moron for that hour
They're very big guitars, be 6'3 at least
And the regular Gibsons ones are probably the nicest
get a gibson
mine is great
low action and a surprisingly fast neck
go for it
Quote by :-D
I once saw somebody carry a Guitar Hero controller in a case to protect it. He probably should have packed his testicles in there too, seeing as he won't need to use those for quite a while.

Explorer Club member #4
PM JEST87 to join
If I had the money, I'd place a custom order for the ESP MX-250, yes ESP still makes old shape explorers, just custom orders.

But till then, I'll just keep on dreaming
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
the esp's are a tad to metal looking for my tastes, so im looking into the hamer and the epiphone, which is better, since they are both around 500