what are the diffrences between hard rock and calssic rock (not sure if this is right thread)
Classic Rock can be associated with people like AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd...

In essential... it is classic rock.

Hard Rock could be classed as Classic Rock but harder. People say GNR, Metallica, Audioslave are good examples. Although Metallica being more Metal in my view.
Add me or I will eat your kitty!

^Click the heart baby, you know you wanna.^

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
yes but is the only differnce in effects usage distortion? (sorry didnt mention effects)
Definately wrong thread...but I'd say the only requirement to be classic rock is that it was from like the 50s, 60s, or 70s really, therefore, Hard Rock can be Classic Rock.
It's GANDHI not GHANDI

Quote by lewymcgee
oh yea, stanleybach, what are u like the forum ass hole, stop tryin to ruin all the fun u dick head

Quote by webbtje
Stanleybach fucked a tree. My perversion is nothing.
Not at all. AC/DC used lots of distortion and they are classed in both. According to Wikipedia... "The term "hard rock" is often used as an umbrella term for genres such as grunge or metal and in order to distinguish them from pop rock genre."

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
not rly with effects, cause pink floyd's guitarist is like the effect master. i dont even like floyd but man that guy can play.
but i digress. yea i would go with the amount and type of distortion, there is a distinct feel in both genres. also, a lot of difference is in the lyrics styling, personally, hard rock (hard rock is basically what is considered more modern rock i think) typically focuses on anger and loss, classic rock focuses on everything.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Quote by elekguit
Not at all. AC/DC used lots of distortion and they are classed in both. I think people just use Hard Rock to separate the long list of Classic Rock artists. Distortion has a bit to do with it I guess, but in general it seems to just be a harder driven music style.

yea, ac/dc uses tons of distortion...but it uses a different soudn than you here in hard rock
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
^On a side note. His name is David Gilmour. Yes, I'm a big Pink Floyd fan.

Quote by Sammythedruggie

touche sir.
not nearly. i wouldnt classify the genre of music by what effects they use. plenty of classic rock uses distortion. its more the style of music they play, and sometimes the lyrics of the songs even. but always keep this in mind: genre is arbitrary. ask any of the bands listed above what genre they play and you'd be surprised by their answers. almost any band can be put into many different genres of music, so to pick out specific differentiating factors is hard to do.
Jackson RR Professional, early 90's japanese model, with EMG's

Digitech GNX3000

Crate GX 212
Quote by elekguit
Not at all. AC/DC used lots of distortion

Wrong, Angus plays clsoe to clean. Many people who's tried his rig has no idea he played so clean actually.

Well hard rock can be classic rock, such as AC/DC, Led Zeppelin (sometime counted as hard rock) and Deep Purple.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
It depends what is being compared.

If you compared Led Zeppelin to somoen like Yes then Zeppelin would be classified as Hard Rock and Yes as Prog.

However if you compared Zeppelin to someone more modern like QOTSA then Zeppelin would be called Classic Rock.

Genres are pretty much relative, so this can be the case for any genre.
AC/DC is my favorite band and I've seen them classified as both.
The difference is mostly in the scales and chords used (I think)
Hard rock has a darker or lower sound than classic rock.
Personally, I would classify AC/DC as hard rock.
They are the same in some aspects. It's just that classic rock rocks harder. Modern hard rock sounds good sometimes but you can't beat the classics. Also, more musicality.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
Quote by stanleybach
Definately wrong thread...but I'd say the only requirement to be classic rock is that it was from like the 50s, 60s, or 70s really, therefore, Hard Rock can be Classic Rock.

+1
Danelectro '59 DC

Amplitube 3

Aaand my superlux headphones
as already posted classic rock has more to do with era than sound imo
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
classic rock isnt necessarily the time it's from, but it's characteristic of that era, so you could have bands today sounding 60s, i'd consider that classic rock.

Hard rock is sometimes considered a branch of metal, kind of the border line between rock and metal. They use similar lyrical content and a similar style but are definitely heavier
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
classic rock isnt necessarily the time it's from, but it's characteristic of that era, so you could have bands today sounding 60s, i'd consider that classic rock.

Hard rock is sometimes considered a branch of metal, kind of the border line between rock and metal. They use similar lyrical content and a similar style but are definitely heavier

true as well, hard rock seems to thrive more on a metal influence with the exuberant use of powerchords thru a song whereas a lot of classic rock used open chords. also most classic rock guitarists had heavy blues inspired playing (ac/dc ftw)
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless