Hey all. I am the not so pround owner of an Ibanez IJS20. I am only a novice player at best, but I do have a few gripes with this guitar. The tuners are awful and it never stays in tune, I would really like to replace these. Also, a guitarist friend of mine informed me that my pickups are awful, but that the guitar playes well and the body is well made. I know this is the ture bottom of the line for Ibanez, but was wondering would it be worth the effort and money to "hot-rod" this guitar? I have seen tuners like Grovers sell on E-bay for very good prices. I must say I am on a tight student budget and if I could make a decent guitar out of this and save myself having to buy another one that would be awesome. So if anyone can suggest good tuners and pickups for my guitar it would be much appreciated. I know very little about the electronics so I really don't have a clue on where to start with the pickups.

Also, I need a lot of help with my right hand technique, mainly where and how to rest my hand. I have been "anchoring" with my pinkie but was instructed that this was a bad habit that needs fixing while I am still learning. I see most guitar players rest their hand on the bridge somehow but I am having a lot of difficulty with this. I either mute the strings I am trying to play, or when I get down to the lower strings ( B and high e) my pick is almost vertical and doesn't make a sound.

I do have alternate picking down and am working on economy picking though, so that is good.

I apologise for the long post and stupid questions, but I really want to get this right. Thanks in advance for your help.
I would replace the tuners, it's a (relatively) cheap mod that can really improve the guitar. I wouldn't worry too much about the pickups, though, unless you really just hate them to death.

As for the technique, I'm not sure.

Also, the questions are really stupid, so no worries.
just dont anchor at all... my right hand only touches the guitar when im either going to do some tapping or palm mutting...

and i wouldnt worry that much for the pickups... justt save up for a new guitar (if you feel that you've outgrown this one)... if not jjust install some new tuners
umm upgrading the guitar works like this: happy with the one you have? upgrade it. not happy with it? buy a new one. basswood isnt the BEST body type... but it isnt a bad one ethier. so like i said if you're happy... then what i'd do:

buy some seymour duncans. one of the sets... the sets give you 2 of the nicer humbucks to pair and at $10 less than buying them both. ($130) if you like metal... go with that distortion mayhem set, if you like blues then the blues set, and if you want something good for everything the hodrodded humbucker set (a JB and a Jazz)

as for tuners... it depends. i'd HIGHLY recommend some stienberger direct drives.... but they run you about $100. so prolly not your thing. but if you are interested i think Stewart Macdonald still has all the colors in stock. (silver, gold, and black)

past that... you should be set.

if you dont like yours tho... then i highly recommend ethier a Epiphone Worn Firebird or a Schecter C-1 the schecter is kindof heavy but has nice pickups, the firebird has really bluesy pickups that dont do rock very well but has those stienberger tuners i love so much.

as for where your hand should sit.... TECHNICALLY you shouldnt touch anything... your hand should free float and then you can pick high up toward the neck, in the middle, or near the bridge easily.... HOWEVER... its really really hard to do... and if you play with distortion... it doesnt really matter. what my teacher used to do is rest his hand literally ON the bridge piece where he wasnt touching the strings and play like that (granted he's practiced a good bit to do the floating deal now... so its just a kindof shortcut)
Last edited by mp3stalin at Nov 9, 2007,
*moved*
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
wait...your friend told your pickups were bad? honestly, if you yourself cant notice it then you're not ready to upgrade your pups. personally i'd get a different guitar
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by forsaknazrael
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

Do this method instead. It should greatly improve your tuning stability. Doesn't cost you as much as new tuners.

lol....u wern't kidding when u said you were gonna post that link more often
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Concerning the guitar: I completely agree with mp3stalin, couldn't have said it better.

As for right hand technique, my jazz instructor has me hover my hand above the strings, not anchoring on anything, keep the fingers curled in (except for when palm muting), and pick the strings with a "screwdriver" motion. Be sure not to rest your hand on the strings.

This all seems very difficult at first, but once you get it down, it works wonderfully.
Thanks everyone. So it seems the general idea is that there is no true right way, but that to "hover" is technically correct. Will work on that as best as I can. Will start taking lessons this summer when I am out of school and have more time.

Also, thanks for the links about the strings. Sadly, that page is where I learned how to change my strings, so I already do it like that
before you go buying tuners, try the stringing technique linked above. Also, does your guitar have a crappy tremolo/whammy bar on it? I have a low end ibanez too ('90 EX140) and the tuning stability was significantly better once I blocked off the crappy tremolo.

I've seen a few comments about widening the groove in the nut and possibly lubricating it with some graphite. I need to research it more, but a lot of times when I tune, I need to sort of balance the string tension for the section of the string between the tuner and the nut, and between the nut and the tremolo (i.e., the part where your frets are). I do this by pressing gently on the upper section, then doing a normal string bend around the 12th fret (or anywhere). If I don't do this, sometimes I'll hear the string sort of 'pop' as it readjusts itself in the nut to balance the string tension.
Nah, mine doesn't have a tremolo or anything like that. Also, it comes out of tune just sitting in the stand. I would understand the strings settling in the nut/bride and stretching when I replace them, but they keep doing this constantly.