hey guys, ive been playing guitar for 7 yrs and decided to learn bass. i bought and ibanez sr405qm (5string) on musicians friend 2 months ago.

anyways the problem is when im playing on the low B it rattles too much against the frets. im thinking the action is probably too low, even though the other strings are the same and dont rattle. before i take it to the shop to get it inspected and truss rod adjusted i was wondering if any of you know any tips to fix this problem myself. maybe it could just be improper right hand technique? or maybe the string gauges are too thick? i dunno, any help appreciated
Quote by Sly Taco
maybe rasie the saddle on the bridge a bit?

Yeah, and if that's not the case, you should probably put some different strings on, and if THAT doesn't fix it, then you should mess with the truss rod and the action...
Epi LP Custom SILVERBURST

Quote by thefitz

Hold it like you hold a Crunchwrap Supreme.

Official Chiodos Fan of the Bass Militia
PM DinkyDaisy to Join
you could raise the saddles a bit, but another reason could be that if your bass is a 34 inch scale then your B will probably rattle a bit. If you a .35 then it would tighten the B string a bit and probably stop the rattling nearly completely. My solution? either get a heavier gauge B string or maybe get a longer neck
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
maybe get a longer neck

Do not, for the love of god, do this, or even try. One, I suspect finding a replacement neck that will have a longer scale length is a fruitless task. Otherwise, the intonation on the bass will be gone.

I won't go into details, just get a heavier guage B string and/or raise your action.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Do not, for the love of god, do this, or even try. One, I suspect finding a replacement neck that will have a longer scale length is a fruitless task. Otherwise, the intonation on the bass will be gone.

I won't go into details, just get a heavier guage B string and/or raise your action.

I don't think it's that bad of an idea. I mean, if the shorter scale length is the problem, why not fix it?
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Hergiswi
I don't think it's that bad of an idea. I mean, if the shorter scale length is the problem, why not fix it?

Well, the bass was made for a certain scale length. Most importantly, the position of the bridge. Think about how much the different proportion of the distance from the last fret to bridge will with a longer neck. Intonation goes bye bye, unless the new neck fits an increadibly precise set of values.

Plus it's unnecessary. I've played 34" 5 strings with as firm a B string as any.

Just get a bigger, fatter string which needs to be pulled tighter.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The neck is also a common cause of fret rattle, if it is too straight or has a backward bend.
If for instance you replace your strings with a lighter guage they will not pull the neck forwards enought; the result is usualy fret rattle, the neck should have a very slight inwards bow.
If the problem is with the neck relief raising the strings is not the correct way of curing the problem.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
it think all B strings are xtra "rubbery", thats y I tune my stuff to EADGC. But yea I agree het a thinker gauge string and mess with the saddle.
Quote by bxcarracer
it think all B strings are xtra "rubbery", thats y I tune my stuff to EADGC. But yea I agree het a thinker gauge string and mess with the saddle.

Don't listen to this guy whatever you do.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by drunken ninja
ive been playing guitar for 7 yrs

Does that have any relevence here, I'm loving all the recent topics which include Guitarists telling us how long they have played for...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Adjust your action and your neck relief. When I got my Warwick renecked (aaah Wenge...), they did a setup. The action was high and there was some relief (I liked my necks straight) and I was thinking what the hell? I paid for this ****?

It was the best playing bass I've ever laid my hands on. I just finished adjusting my Jazz to similar neck relief and action. Now there's no buzz anywhere, even if I dig into the strings HARD. Even on the 15-22nd fret of the B string. I hope my Jazz 'stays put' and the neck doesnt do more adjusting overnight... but I think graphite rods put an end to that.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by John Swift

Don't listen to this guy whatever you do.

Yea me either, I wouldnt listen to him at all. He must be some noob or something.