Originally I thought I wanted a passive bass, but now I'm back at actives. I'm going to put some money towards a new bass by the end of the month, and so far I've narrowed it down to an Ibanez SRX650/655, Ibanez SRX700/705, or a Godlyke 4-string Disciple. I am VERY familiar with the lower end models of the Ibanez SRX series, and love the commanding, authoritative tone they get, even if they're not that versatile.

Anyway, I read that Troy Sanders played a Godlyke, so I checked into them. Thing that wonders me though, is he barely ever plays it live.

I did a quick search on here, Talkbass, and Harmony Central, and the VERY little input I've found on them seems to be positive... so, has anyone played them? I'm looking for a bass that can really cut through (or rather have the EQ to do it) and one that will growl. It seems like the 18v preamp could help with that.

So anyone have any experience with the Godlyke at all, or care to tell me what you think of it? No store/dealer around here seems to carry them, so I'm looking for any feedback I can find.

Here's the specs:
http://www.godlykebass.com/SpecDisciple4.php

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
2006 Warwick
MASTODON
Last edited by gywo copta at Nov 9, 2007,
Well for the amount of money that you would be putting into the Godlyke and with your aformentioned need of a "growl" I would have to suggest a Warwick Thumb (BO rather than NT as the neck-thru can be a little too mellow at time). They are very solid basses and have one of the most powerful and recognizable growls around. Anyway, if you have nothing against them you should find time to check one out.
As for the Godlyke, although I have never played one personally, the specs look very solid and it appears to be a quality instrument. I would definitely take the Godlyke over the Ibanez in terms of quality but, as mentioned before, I would take the Warwick over the Godlyke. However, it should all really come down to how the basses feel to you, spend as much time playing them as you can (this may not be possible for the Godlyke as I don't know of many music shops that stock them) and then make a educated decision based on tone, and versatility, and all around comfort. Regardless of the the specs of a bass in the end it all comes down to feel, if a bass does not feel right to you then it doesn't matter how good it's quality is.

EDIT: sorry for the rambling post, but you get the idea.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
Higher end Spectors basses should also be in the running - very quality instruments with plenty of sound versatility, and AFAIK they can be fairly growly
The only thing I don't like about that Godlyke bass is the frequency the bass EQ affects. The "bass" knob, IMO, should be around 40 Hz. Otherwise, looks like a solid bass. I'd try it if you get the opportunity.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
The only thing I don't like about that Godlyke bass is the frequency the bass EQ affects. The "bass" knob, IMO, should be around 40 Hz. Otherwise, looks like a solid bass. I'd try it if you get the opportunity.

Is it a 2-band EQ? Because usually 2-band EQ's have higher lows and lower highs than 3-band EQ's to compensate for the missing band - i.e. Warwick with 100Hz and 2000Hz.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Is it a 2-band EQ? Because usually 2-band EQ's have higher lows and lower highs than 3-band EQ's to compensate for the missing band - i.e. Warwick with 100Hz and 2000Hz.

Nope, it's a 3-band. The frequencies the EQ affects are ridiculous, if you ask me. The bass is 90Hz, the mid is 350Hz, and treble is 8kHz. That could potentially be good if you like to get a growly sound, because you could boost the pseudo-mid knob and in reality be boosting the low mids, which adds some boominess and grit to it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Your41Plague12
Nope, it's a 3-band. The frequencies the EQ affects are ridiculous, if you ask me. The bass is 90Hz, the mid is 350Hz, and treble is 8kHz. That could potentially be good if you like to get a growly sound, because you could boost the pseudo-mid knob and in reality be boosting the low mids, which adds some boominess and grit to it.

Ugghh, that's WAY too low - even 8kHz might be a bit low.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Hmmm... what do you guys think about the Ocean TB70? I'm going to Guitar center this afternoon to play one... it has all the features I'd want, but it seems like TOO much bass for too little money, if you know what I mean. Sort of too good to be true.

I heard it's the same as Cort's Artisan A4... which I think is a $1000+ bass? How does that work?
2006 Warwick
MASTODON