Page 1 of 2
I played the pinao for 3 years, I got pretty good at it, then came along metal and suddenly piano was lame, I could play a few licks on my keyboard, (but not many, due to lack of "tabs" for piano), and anyway guitar sounds cooler...

so, in january, I decided to learn the guitar. I got a teacher at my school. He taught me to play an assortment of riffs, ranging from blues to hard rock. I could play pretty much anything he showed me and I picked up guitar quite fast.

Having a teacher was pretty cool, but admitidly he wasn't all that good, I learned things like alternate picking and harmonics from YouTube videos and good old UG.

Now, I watch videos of people on YouTube playing these incredible things, like neeewaaahawaddlewaddlewahhhhdlleeeewahhhhhhehehehehehe <-- (guitar noise) And I just think, are they showing off to make me feel bad? why can't I do that? WHY GOD WHY?

Obviously it's because I haven't been playing even a year. I understand from playing the piano that skill comes with time, but for the last 10 months, I've felt so motivated to shred my guitar to pieces.

Bands and their players that I aspire to play like:

Megadeth
Dragonforce (maybe a lot later in my guitar-ing career)
Blind guardian
Nightwish
blah blah blah

Every cool sounding riff, lick, shred, WHATEVER the hell you want to call it, out there is waaaay to difficult for me to play, everytime I try to learn something, it comes out sounding annoying, wrong, out of time. I can remember the frets with my fretting hand, but my picking hand won't keep up, or I hit the wrong strings. Everything just sounds like a mess, if a mess had a sound that is.

Recently I took a glance at the symphony of destruction solo, a song by megadeth. I practiced for maybe an hour a day for nearly a month now, and it still sounds no better than it did a week ago, or two weeks ago. I feel so discouraged.

Then I watched some kid play it on YouTube, every note perfect. ARRRRRRGGHHHHHH why???? Don't start with the "hahaha, stupid guitar noob in way over his head" i understand that EVERYONE on YouTube has had 1058620317560276 times more experiance than me, but how did they start? Did they start like me? or were they always this good? DUHHH I already know the answer to this question.

Why is everything so hard to play? Is there some steps I can take to break a riff down, make it easier? can anyone suggest good exercises for me to take? Is there a daily "Guitarists ritual" that will make me play better, or to understand the music?

SOME, PLEEEEEAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEE help me out here. Maybe if one of you PROs could point out a cool solo that's easy to play, or some of these fabled "exercises" that I've heard so much about. I know nothing about your pentatonic hoodah haddah, tell me if you have time...
step 1: caaalm dooooown
Quote by Mr. La Fritz

Squirrels are fluffy bits of gay.

Quote by LordPino
My penis is so big it has its own hands.
Do you think those kids on youtube were able to play amazing with no effort? No, they put in hours of practice over a few years. I know it's frustrating, but the only thing we can say is practice more. In time, if you practice everything correctly, you will improve.

Make sure you start out in your ability level, maybe learning a few "reach" songs, but nothing too far out of grasp. Practice everything deliberatly and slowly, and work up speed.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
learn the pentatonic scales and the modes for starters
heres a website that has probably every scale in guitar
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/

that should help
Quote by masterk1818
Ya well when i wrestle/play with my dog he sometimes jumps on my back and starts humping me. But should he be doing this if he is neutered?

Quote by InvaderTSN
Wrestle with him naked. He'll ruv you rong time.

flickr
Quote by SeveralSpecies

....no homo?
Most of the people that post videos on you tube tend to have been playing for the good part of 5+ years and by that point they can shred a bit. For example I feel bad when people younger than me can play ALOT better than me but I only started when I was 16 whereas most people start playing when they are about 13. Best bet if you want to play purely shred is scale and picking practise with a metronome
Take all the videos you've seen as inspiration and look at them like a goal. You won't become amazing overnight but if you have an aim...you'll be fine. Like the others guys have said chill and take your time with it. Rome wasn't built in a fortnight
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Thanks, I know what to do, it's just I can't seem to do it =( and I already told you guys I knew how the pros got better.

I just don't know what to play. could you suggest any reach songs? I understand that you don't really know my playing level, but if anything easy comes to mind, please I'm begging you people, anything you say, any little hints could help me to unbelievable levels
I usually feel motivated watching talented folks on YouTube. The 14 year old girl that plays with Steve Vai for example. Turn your frustration into motivation and reach for whatever goal you have set for yourself.

Chris
well, if it makes you feel any better. i feel the same. im about to be 18, have been playing a year and try my best to play as well as i can in as many genres as possible, and then i see a 14 year old girl shredding her way to glory with steve vai. imagine what that makes me feel like
well, I don't have a metrome or anything special, I have a relatively mediocre AMP and a jackson DK2, one lead that I got with my guitar
Everybody says practice lol. I know that doesn't really help that much so here's what I did.

Get powertab (if you don't already have it).

Go download some of the powertab guitar tabs on this site of solos that you think are too hard. (don't do anything crazy yet I just mean more difficult stuff) Then just slow down the tempo on power tab. I did this when I was just started out with Trivium - Like Light to Flies and it helped a ton. Once you can play whatever solo slowed down you can start speeding it up. Don't speed it up very much though! Just small increments. Your fingers will start to remember exactly what you're playing and that's what you want. Once your fingers know what they're doing your mind doesn't have to do the playing. I think it's called muscle memory? Well anyway you just slowly get faster and faster.

Hope that helps!
Rig:
Schecter Hellraiser FR
Peavey 6505 Head
Vader 4x12
BBE 482

DOD EQ
Boss NS-2
I really can't decide what solos or songs I can play or not. Do you think I should finish learning the song that I've started, it's pretty easy, as in I can do it, but is it worth perfecting a song? Does it help confidence etc
You wont get pro if you just want to get pro...
You have to really dig and love what you are playing to be a good guitarist..
Finish learning the song for the sake of learning a song and having fun.
Play guitar to have fun, don't just think it's a competition.
Give yourself a break, you've only been playing for 10 months. Just learn the songs at a slower pace, and if you practice enough you'll be able to play them at regular speed soon.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
There is no magic secret to playing like a virtuoso. Steve Vai, one of my big influences, is as good as he is because he practiced 8 hours a day for 20 years. Believe me, I wish I could snap my fingers and be able to play like Malmsteen, but I know that the only way that I'm goiong to get there is by playing for a very long time.

Practice, and don't get discouraged.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by UrzasJ00rMom
Everybody says practice lol. I know that doesn't really help that much so here's what I did.

Get powertab (if you don't already have it).

Go download some of the powertab guitar tabs on this site of solos that you think are too hard. (don't do anything crazy yet I just mean more difficult stuff) Then just slow down the tempo on power tab. I did this when I was just started out with Trivium - Like Light to Flies and it helped a ton. Once you can play whatever solo slowed down you can start speeding it up. Don't speed it up very much though! Just small increments. Your fingers will start to remember exactly what you're playing and that's what you want. Once your fingers know what they're doing your mind doesn't have to do the playing. I think it's called muscle memory? Well anyway you just slowly get faster and faster.

Hope that helps!

That is what practicing is. You are playing the licks slowly, so you develop finger memory, AKA practicing.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by fadetowhite
well, if it makes you feel any better. i feel the same. im about to be 18, have been playing a year and try my best to play as well as i can in as many genres as possible, and then i see a 14 year old girl shredding her way to glory with steve vai. imagine what that makes me feel like

made me wanna kill myself :P

I'm in the same boat, but hey, if there was no practice necessary, there would be no "Eye of the Tiger", right?
Besides the practice, practice, practice, etc thing, check this video: Rock Discipline of John Petrucci. Why? There's a lot of tips that i'm sure is helpful for any guitarist no matter how skilled they are.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Most people don't really sound like that till at LEAST there 3rd year, second if they practise a lot.
Feed your mind.
I've been playing for about 3 years, and I'm a music major, and I'm only barely getting to that level. I can do it out of necessity - for example, if a recital of mine requires me to play a 16th note run at 160 bpm I just have to train myself to do it.

So I sit there, with a metronome, and practice the run. I always start at 60 bpm, and when I can play it cleanly at that speed I turn it up to 70, until I reach the speed I need to be at for it.
I think that anything worth anything in life takes dedication, PATIENTS, and practice. You will find that you will proportionally get out of something what you put into it. I think this goes with anything in this life.

Chris
Slow the riffs right down.
Get a metronome and just go from there...

Also a good practice to get better hand synchronization is playing 1-2-3-4 on each string, then moving up a fret to make it 2-3-4-5... Boring as hell, but try get like 20 minutes a day doing this and you will notice improvement quite quickly... But play it as fast as you can while still not muting notes...
Hope I helped =]
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
Quote by Mr.Satan
Dude look at Dream Theater and than say keyboards are lame.

fixed.
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by dark_gilbert
step 1: caaalm dooooown

step 2: get a teacher that will teach you some theory, and will help you with your technique.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
lol don't look at CoB for keyboards they look rediculous... Dream theater is possibly the most tastefull keyboard use -stream of consciousness ftw-
My advice is to improvise. Improvise all the time. Do technical excercises, then improvise some more. I can play pretty easily at "high" speeds because I spend so much time

A ) Practising my scales via improv.

B ) Composing phrases that sound nice

The advantage of improv are twofold - it increased both technique and composition, two things that are a must for anyone.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
yea im in the same boat, but i dont ever expect to be amazing, lol...hell im 25, and ive only been playin 11 months myself, always wanted to play when i was younger but i had so much stuff goin on that i never had a chance.... problem for me is i get lost in the never-ending amount of stuff it seems there is to learn, so ive primarily tried to learn a lot of chords, and mainly pentatonic scale.....its challenging, and a lot of fun when you do somethin semi cool now and then, keeps me goin....lotta people my age try it and quit in like a month or cry bout their fingers hurting and quit like my boss, haha.
there is no secret to succsess, i have been playing for about 4 years and just recently ive been able to start playing leads in songs by children of bodom. just practice, thats all you can do, dont worry you'll get better.
10 months and you want to do a Friedman solo? Me too! LOL I've been playing about that long and still can't solo. Just practice.

I know, I hear and see people who've been playing since 4, 13, and whatnot. And they are way better than I am. I know, but just turn that jealousy and frustration into motivation and determination.

"I've felt so motivated to shred my guitar to pieces. "

Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run. Once you are able to run, doesn't mean you can go right into a marathon. You get what I'm saying.
thanks everyone, I guess I really needed someone else to tell me what I already knew, and NO sarcasm there. I knew what I had to do to get better, but two pages of people tell me the same thing is reasssuring me that I'M thinking the right thing.

Also I never said keyboards were lame, I said piano was lame, and only because I couldn't find things to play on it. Although I DID learn the intro to through the fire and flames, and a few guitar sweeps from the song (on the keyboard)

Everyone keeps saying use a metronome, are they expensive? I don't have one.
Quote by psyks
thanks everyone, I guess I really needed someone else to tell me what I already knew, and NO sarcasm there. I knew what I had to do to get better, but two pages of people tell me the same thing is reasssuring me that I'M thinking the right thing.

Also I never said keyboards were lame, I said piano was lame, and only because I couldn't find things to play on it. Although I DID learn the intro to through the fire and flames, and a few guitar sweeps from the song (on the keyboard)

Everyone keeps saying use a metronome, are they expensive? I don't have one.

They are very cheap. I don't use my metronome, I use a drum machine instead, my keyboard has one built into it. I personally like drum machines better, as they give you more of a feel for the way playing with a drummer feels, and they are more fun to listen to.

As far as what you said about needing to be told what you already know by an outside force, there is no shame in that. We all sucked the first time we picked up an instrument, and probably sucked for a while afterwards as well. You get better with time. It's like a muscle; the more you work it, the stronger it gets.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Today I shall print out "a tout le monde", take it to my room and not leave my room.

Well that's my plan, does anyone know how to play it? Does it contain good techniques for one so new? If I don't learn this, I'll probably just continue with "embody the invisible"
Quote by RCShadow
I usually feel motivated watching talented folks on YouTube. The 14 year old girl that plays with Steve Vai for example. Turn your frustration into motivation and reach for whatever goal you have set for yourself.

Chris

I agree wiv this guy! Go thru some cds and things for ideas of songs to play...what bands are you into?
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
Piano isn't lame. I love metal music but i also have a thing for piano/classical stuff.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by psyks
Today I shall print out "a tout le monde", take it to my room and not leave my room.

Well that's my plan, does anyone know how to play it? Does it contain good techniques for one so new? If I don't learn this, I'll probably just continue with "embody the invisible"
À Tout Le Monde has a very easy rhythm part, which I suggest you try first. Rather than use a tab, try to work it out for yourself; it's just power chords, it's very simple, and working out these sorts of things yourself helps you in the long run far, far more than using any tab will. Play along with the CD of course, bear in mind the original À Tout Le Monde is played with Eb tuning (down a half-step). The newer, slightly faster remake is in Standard, and actually I think is probably a better building block for initial learning (mostly just due to the fact it's that touch faster).

Once you've managed to work out the rhythm for yourself, only then should you try the lead. For that you probably would be better off just using a tab, though with your piano experience you probably should at least give it a quick go at working it out for yourself.

À Tout Le Monde is actually a very good song to start out on since it is so basic, but will introduce you to highly controlled palm muting which is handy in most metal songs. That said, I would hope by the ten month mark you should be able to nail it almost right away, so I don't think it's especially great for you to bother with - learn it by all means, it's a great track, but I don't really view it as anything more than a 'warm up' song.

Along the same lines - I see you listed Nightwish in your inital post, try out For The Heart I Once had from their newest album. About the same difficulty as À Tout Le Monde, though tuned down a full step (can also be played in Drop-D), and it makes for a nice warmup, I've found. It's not going to teach you to shred like a possessed freak, but I'm finding it's a nice track to play through before hitting the heavier stuff. Incidently, some of Emppu's earlier solos really helped me learn many of the more typical techniques used in lead metal guitar, it would be worth your while trying out some earlier Nightwish. Again from the new album actually, the solo in Eva will introduce you to tapping and 'proper' use of harmonics (i.e. not just throwing in random pinch harmonics like so many metal players), which you might find useful if you've not already tried these things much. The later part of Slaying The Dreamer (from 2:34 onwards) is also a great way to pick up the basics of metal playing that will come in very useful in countless other tracks by most metal bands.
Page 1 of 2