I am currently renting a Les Paul studio and really like it alot. I have about 2 grand ready to buy one when the time comes but i cant decide weather to stick with a studio or splurge for a standard. Is the extra couple a hundred bucks worth what you get? Or is there another les paul in the same price range that i should try. THanks for your help.
see if there are any japanese made tokais floating about ebay. superior to gibson in 99% of cases, and a lot cheaper
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
I'd do a standard over a classic. I like the pickups and the sound better. Better overall feel and sound, and the no pickguard look is killer.
Last edited by dutch5367 at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
see if there are any japanese made tokais floating about ebay. superior to gibson in 99% of cases, and a lot cheaper

no offense, but i hate that logic. there's a reason why a majority of people have played Gibson for the last 40-50 years and it's not just because of the namebrand. i'll admit the quality of the gibson name has gone down a bit, but 99% of the time is a major over-exaggeration
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I love my LP Classic, but the Std is nice too. I'm gonna swap the PUs anyway, so for me there's no difference.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
i really dont what to tell you this because i hate to see people play the same guitar i have but ESP EC-1000.
Gibson used to be good now its crap and overpriced crap.
Quote by shredhead22
no offense, but i hate that logic. there's a reason why a majority of people have played Gibson for the last 40-50 years and it's not just because of the namebrand. i'll admit the quality of the gibson name has gone down a bit, but 99% of the time is a major over-exaggeration

Unfortunately, although people may have played Gibson for the last 40-50 years because they made quality products, that doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of Gibson products today, and the TS is, I assume, looking to buy a new Gibson Les Paul.

And while it may not be true that the Tokai's are better 99% of the time, nothing you offered in that last post demonstrates a higher order of logic than the other poster you disparaged.

Just my two cents.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Also if you want a Gibby, try to find a late 90's one, that's was when they got good again...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by FourSticks17
Unfortunately, although people may have played Gibson for the last 40-50 years because they made quality products, that doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of Gibson products today, and the TS is, I assume, looking to buy a new Gibson Les Paul.

And while it may not be true that the Tokai's are better 99% of the time, nothing you offered in that last post demonstrates a higher order of logic than the other poster you disparaged.

Just my two cents.

i never meant to disparge anyone at all. i was simply stating an opinion, just my two cents if you will, that his analysis was an exaggeration. and since i already stated in my post that the gibson name isn't the same quality as the guitars of old, i'd say your analysis of my post is just as flawed as mine. the only difference is im trying to validate a point about the quality of tokais vs. gibson, whereas you just seem bent on trying to make myself look foolish...just my two cents

BACK ON TOPIC
let me emphasize then that if the TS is willing to buy a used guitar, instead of buying a japanese copy on ebay, i would reccomend a studio les paul from the late 90'e era due to the well known craftsmanship. if TS want's a new gibson i'd go for a standard
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Here's the deal:
1)U get a gibson which is awsome and ownage which cost alot and doesnt break down so easily
2)U get a epiphone/tokai/Agile one but if u pick one with crappy workmanship, ur f**ked,otherwise, u still have a great guitar, so u gotta make sure urs is a well made model

My vote 4 a les paul goes 2 a epi LP custom plus,really great 4 me!
Quote by FenderStRaT RS
Here's the deal:
1)U get a gibson which is awsome and ownage which cost alot and doesnt break down so easily
2)U get a epiphone/tokai/Agile one but if u pick one with crappy workmanship, ur f**ked,otherwise, u still have a great guitar, so u gotta make sure urs is a well made model

My vote 4 a les paul goes 2 a epi LP custom plus,really great 4 me!

1) Your posts make my eyes hurt.
2) If I had to take a guitar at random, I'd take a MIJ Tokai over a Gibson Les Paul every single time.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.