I have only been playing a bit more than a month now and I wanted to re-string my guitar. Is it possible to do myself if I am a bit of a No0b or should I get it professionally re-string?
You can definitely restring it yourself, just make sure you have a tuner to set the strings back to the correct pitches. Also, place the strings in WITHOUT clipping them short, turn them up appropriately, THEN clip the excess off. They are longer than needed so that you end up with several windings around each tuner, to keep the strings nice and tight.
yea man, u might wanna go to some1 whos familiar with it first, seeing as u probly have no idea of how its done, its actualy alot trickier than it looks.
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Gays aren't discriminated against, they just can't get married, big ****ing deal.
You have to.

Google it and follow the instructions carefully- it's really not that hard.

Restringing a guitar isn't hard or difficult in any way- very few people get their guitars "professionally restrung."

I try to change my strings every few months, and if someone paid each time to get it professionally restrung, that could rack up quite a few bucks.

So just learn how to do it yourself.
I don't have any nifty things to stick here, so here's a bunny with a pancake on it's head.

Pancake Bunny
the first time you change them yourself you're going to be asking yourself 'Am I doing it right?' This normal but once its done you'll see that it's not that hard to do. Just two peices of advice:
1) change each string individually as this will help stop the neck from bowing.
2) take your time, if you rush it you could (1) ruin your guitar (2) end up having to re-change the strings after a very short time
Last edited by Captain Scarlet at Nov 9, 2007,
Thanks for the advice, I am not worried about the cost of strings, but the fact that if I mess up I'll be guitarless for a while until I can get my buddy to help me or take it to a guitar store. I am relatively confident I can do it myself. That being said I won't know if I did it right the first time. I'll see if I am in the mood to "attempt" this.
Quote by Slipstream_mike
That being said I won't know if I did it right the first time.

You will because it will either sound good or terrible
One way to tell if you did a bad job is if your guitar can't keep tune. A well-strung guitar provides tuning stability(assuming there aren't other issues that also affect tuning).
yeah you can do it yourself, and once you;ve done it its like riding a bike, you'll never ever forget
I did it myself, i had watched my cousin restring one guitar, and then i went and tried it.
I wouldnt ever pay someone to do it, watch some videos about it, read some tutorials, have a crack at it....you'll be fine.
You wont break your guitar through restringing (unless your putting steel strings on a classical guitar or something like that)
UPDATE

Ok I gave it a shot, I think I did an ok job but the low G just doesn't sound right for some reason. My quiktune says its ok but when I play there doesn't seem to be as much range of sound as the old strings had. Obviously they are not worked in so I was wondering if it will soound "fuller" after a few hours?
Are you sure you put the same type and gauge of strings on it than was previously was put on it?

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

Quote by Slipstream_mike
UPDATE

Ok I gave it a shot, I think I did an ok job but the low G just doesn't sound right for some reason. My quiktune says its ok but when I play there doesn't seem to be as much range of sound as the old strings had. Obviously they are not worked in so I was wondering if it will soound "fuller" after a few hours?
Different strings sound different. Yesterday I restrung my guitar with 11's, whereas before it had 12's. the 11's sound brighter and not quite as bass-y. I did this just to experiment, really. I think I'll go back to 12's next month. By the way, you know that there is only one G string, right? It should be the fourth thickest string. Assuming your D string is in tune, you can check the G string's tuning by playing the fifth fret on the D string. It should sound the same as the G string(open, without fretting).
LOL I'm sorry I meant low E, I can't believe I said G hehe. I'm still new so try to understand. They do sound "brighter" but less bassy if that makes sense. I don't know what the strings were that were on there but it's a real chap guitar and I wanted to try to do a minor upgrade and see what happens. I played a bit more and I can hear the sound beginning to come out better already. I am using my quiktune to tune it but sometimes that device seems inaccurate. One pluck and its low, the next and it's high. Anyway thanks for all your help I think I did an ok job but i'll see how it goes.

Oh ya I used D'Addario .012 light Phosphor Bronze strings fyi.
play with it a few days, it'll sound different at first. I dont like the sound right when i restring my guitar, and im using the same strings as you.
dont pay someone to restring your guitar you can do it yourself easily. as long as you have a tuner to get it back into tune you should be fine. there is a thread on stringing a guitar somewhere on these forums use the search bar and you should be able to find it. and make sure to change one string at a time and not to take off all of em at once
Quote by shredmeiser101
I tried BAGDAD tuning once, it actually was quite alright.

Quote by Meths
Do you have to actively try to spell words that wrong or does it come naturally to you?

Quote by MedicreDemon
You are very clever.

I invented this literary device I call sarcasm, that was an example of it.
Quote by GU1T4R-H3R0
dont pay someone to restring your guitar you can do it yourself easily. as long as you have a tuner to get it back into tune you should be fine. there is a thread on stringing a guitar somewhere on these forums use the search bar and you should be able to find it. and make sure to change one string at a time and not to take off all of em at once

read the entire thread. he made it clear that he has already restrung his guitar himself.

and taking all the strings off your guitar at once while you change the strings won't hurt it. that's a myth.