I have just wired my first pickguard and i have to say its not 100% professional..Its somewhat messy compared to stock wiring. Does this contribute to extra noise while playing?

Pls post pics of pickguard wiring so i can determine if mine is Messy or Normal..
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
as long as the solder joints arent cold then you should have no problems.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
I get humming once in a while when the mid+neck are activated..Why is this so?
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
Quote by zizou510
I have just wired my first pickguard and i have to say its not 100% professional..Its somewhat messy compared to stock wiring. Does this contribute to extra noise while playing?

Pls post pics of pickguard wiring so i can determine if mine is Messy or Normal..

For the sake of your '57 RI MIJ, I hope you it neatly. Some random pics:

check all solder joints, that might be the prob for the humm...make sure its grounded complete, and correctly. that may help your prob.
Ok.. Once i put the strings on, the hum decreased.. Let me play a while more to see if the hum actually bothers me..
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
You know the black wires that run from pot-to-pot and to the switch casing? Remove them. If you have a piece of foil shielding or the control plate is metal, these wires are useless and only contribute to noise.
One way I keep my soldering neat is to 1) first solder as many things together as possible on a cardboard template of my pickguard (No worries about dripping solder on your pickguard then ) also, please trim your wires... there is no need for a lot of excess wire (A lot of people make this mistake)... 3 practice practice practice your soldering so tht it is nice and clean. Make sure your joint is nice and shiny, this ensures good connectivity. 4) Zip ties and heat shrink are your friend (Theres no better way to clump messy wiring together than with those). I prefer zip ties b.c they can easily be trimmed away. 5) Get some aluminum foil and some spray adhesive and shield your pickguard for hum free operation (Much cheaper than buying regular shielding).
^^^ Yes, sorry I forgot to mention... you def. want to use "premium" quality aluminum foil *rolls eyes*
aluminum foil works. it's just the matter if they conduct electricity or not.

i used copper tape tho.

and also:

Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I wouldn't say being neat with your wiring is essential, but it does look better. However, sloppy wiring will only run you the risk of messing up, melting your pickguard, burning the wood, and melting through your wires. Not to mention burning yourself.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
I wouldn't say being neat with your wiring is essential, but it does look better. However, sloppy wiring will only run you the risk of messing up, melting your pickguard, burning the wood, and melting through your wires. Not to mention burning yourself.

been there done that
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Woo thanks for all ur replies! I wired something wrongly.. OOPS.
Im saying this because at Bridge+mid, there is no humcancelling..

But im not really bothered with that..Seldom use tat position.
Gear
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live