Hello UG. Time for another rant from me.

I get reasonably good grades in all subjects (at least I used to). Only since the beginning of my IB course, I've been phailing at Higher Maths. And I blame the teacher. He doesn't actually explain how to do something. He writes an equation on the board which we haven't ever done before, and expects us to just know how it's done.

And today, he told the entire class that hard work won't get you anywhere in the IB.

So basically, you either get it or you don't. And if you don't they you might as well quit life now, cos you'll never ammount to anything.

I feel encouraged....NOT

Anyone else had teachers like this?
A few years back, when I took Geometry, I had a teacher that didn't really expect us to work at all; but to somehow absorb the information he rarely spoke of in full. We'd always receive the "You fail at life if you can't figure this out, and may as well work at fast food for the rest of your life" speech.

Teachers like this need to be shot.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Not really, but I do have a science teacher that can't explain anything - 90% of the time whatever you ask him he can't answer.
█████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████ █████

You're just another brick in the wall
I have a physics teacher like that right now, damn what a wanker, he cant explain anything to save his life. I end up learning physics from the two people who do understand what he's saying.
Quote by bearded_monkey
I used to have a crap maths teacher.

Then I changed class and got a better one and am now doing really well and I love maths.

Moral of the story, sucks to be you

I wish I could do that. We only have one Principles of Math teacher in our school (small rural high school FTL)

My Math teacher rambles on one problem for 3/4 of the class, and doesn't get around to the other harder examples, and then expects us to do all the questions including the ones she never explained.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
I have a ****ty math teacher, I took a 80 point test today, and it was on something he never tought us.
Quote by Dimebag Dave
A few years back, when I took Geometry, I had a teacher that didn't really expect us to work at all; but to somehow absorb the information he rarely spoke of in full. We'd always receive the "You fail at life if you can't figure this out, and may as well work at fast food for the rest of your life" speech.

Teachers like this need to be shot

Amen.

Well my english teacher is a bitch, she chewed me out today because she tried accusing me of not doing my homework but i don't care because she doesn't care what the students have to say.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
When I was doing my GCSEs I had the most awful teacher. He knew maths, I'll give him that, but he didn't have the ability to show a class how to do something, or control his pupils. I had been good at maths in the years before, but my grades went right down (to be fair to him though that was probably also because I stopped caring). In the end he got fired, and the class had a new teacher in. Most of us passed, but the dude before was simply abysmal.

I have the reversed situation now, repeating my literature AS. I was very good at it in year eleven, didn't get on with the teacher great but she knew how to teach. But now I have to redo it with new texts and a new teacher in a new school, and she can't teach us. She reads out some material, and then pulls these terms from the air and then expects us to be able to write essays on it. We're not bloody super teens.

But yeah, just tell your teacher he's not being very encouraging, or speak to another person in the maths department about it.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
well, my math teacher is one of the coolest guys on the planet, likes the leafs, explains math well, and likes music.

so ya. Sucks to Be You.
maths is awesome

it's either you or the teacher...

>>

<<
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
Quote by denizenz

It had to be done.

Should that comma really be there?

-Matthew Arnold

I have a really good math teacher now, but last year I had a teacher who would just tell us to read some **** and then give us a quiz on it the next day. I still don't really see how that qualifies her as a teacher... Kinda seems like we could have done that by ourselves.
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
my physics teacher once told me
"there are two teachers that get really good grades from their students, really good ones, and really bad ones. The really bad ones only get the good grades if theyre that bad, and that annoying."
basically what hes saying is bad teachers get people wanting to prove them wrong so they do the work by themselves, it works. try and get some of your friends together and use the internet, text books, etc to try and work out how this stuff works.
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
My english teacher, grinds my nuts hard. I hate her, she doesnt teach and when asked for help she replies with "I'm not your mother I shouldn't help you" I'm not joking i've came out of that class shaking with rage and actually have talked about killing her in a jokey way. . but really meant it. I hate her so much. Also she only got the job for ****ing the head of english.
Quote by Chikitty_China
I have a really good math teacher now, but last year I had a teacher who would just tell us to read some **** and then give us a quiz on it the next day. I still don't really see how that qualifies her as a teacher... Kinda seems like we could have done that by ourselves.

My history teacher hands out booklets, tells us to read one page, fill out a table with the information we just read, and will have us write an essay about it at the end of the week. You could say he's not really teaching, but it works. I'm at an A in my history because that method works well. He's still on hand if you have any questions, so while he isn't strictly actively educating a lot of the time, he's doing a good job.

Quote by denizenz
Who the hell really cares? 98% of my posts are fucking class, and you're going to get hung up on one comma?

Sorry. I'm a bit comma-ly anal today.

There has to be an adjective meaning 'comma-like'.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by denizenz

It had to be done.

what if you have a phd in teaching people how to teach?
2 ducks and a rabbi walk into a bar.
The rabbi enjoys a nice drink and the ducks are shooed out so that health services aren't called in.
The day proceeds as normal.
Quote by Dinkydaisy

Sorry. I'm a bit comma-ly anal today.

There has to be an adjective meaning 'comma-like'.

It's cool, I just felt like giving you a hard time. It shouldn't be there anyway. It just felt like there should be a pause there. I typically overuse the ellipsis so I substituted it for a comma this time.
Quote by denizenz
It's cool, I just felt like giving you a hard time. It shouldn't be there anyway. It just felt like there should be a pause there. I typically overuse the ellipsis so I substituted it for a comma this time.

I personally feel like it rolls off the tongue quite nicely in a smooth string of words.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Magic Jim
what if you have a phd in teaching people how to teach?

Hence the word "necessarily". I'm so smart.

Quote by Dinkydaisy
I personally feel like it rolls off the tongue quite nicely in a smooth string of words.

I like to break things up for dramatic affect. I feel that things are more comedic that way. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*
Quote by denizenz
Hence the word "necessarily". I'm so smart.

I like to break things up for dramatic affect. I feel that things are more comedic that way. Maybe it's just me. *shrugs*

I see. You've fallen for the effervescent charm of comedy. I am afraid I'm much more a lover of a sombre drama, with words so smooth they could caress your skin.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
I see. You've fallen for the effervescent charm of comedy. I am afraid I'm much more a lover of a sombre drama, with words so smooth they could caress your skin.

Yeah, I'm a man.

In all actuality, I can be romantic and poetic. However, that obviously wasn't the scope of the post in question. You should read the poetry I have linked in my sig.
Quote by denizenz
Yeah, I'm a man.

In all actuality, I can be romantic and poetic. However, that obviously wasn't the scope of the post in question. You should read the poetry I have linked in my sig.

Perhaps we could try to create new movement with these pictures in which it would be acceptable to commingle humour and an artistic fair. Oh, what fun that would be!

I'll check it out when I get the chance. But right now I'm boiling in my room and need to pee, but can't because there are chavs in the house

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
Perhaps we could try to create new movement with these pictures in which it would be acceptable to commingle humour and an artistic fair. Oh, what fun that would be!

I'll check it out when I get the chance. But right now I'm boiling in my room and need to pee, but can't because there are chavs in the house

I don't get the whole chav thing. Why are they in your house?
Quote by Dinkydaisy

I prefer a good transcendental philosophic discussion to be honest.

If I were to be completely honest I would say Transcendentalism is probably the most kickass and truly "punk" philosophy ever created, and I love quotes based around that idea.

I will not live in your world for your world has melted from the heat of my soul and all that is left is my world and I will live in my world as if your world has never existed for I am the only one who can decide the truth and I will not live by your truths for they are all lies to me and I will never let you decide the path I shall follow for my path is unpaved and I will forge ahead by my own choice and I will choose my own path. You do not own me and you will never control my soul for your chains of deceit have broken from the truth I have found.

Yeah, I don't enjoy commas that much, but I do enjoy vague sentences built around abstract concepts.

Also, Thoreau was a Punk and none of you can deny it.

EDIT: Oh right we're talking about teachers. Yeah, most of mine really suck, except for my english teacher just because she lets me write superlong circular pieces that eventually crumble under their own ideas.
In an interstellar burst! I am back to save the universe...
Quote by denizenz
I don't get the whole chav thing. Why are they in your house?

'Cause my brother's a cider-drinking, drug-taking, violent lout who associates with these kinds of people.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by denizenz
That sucks. He'll grow out of it...

Doubt it. I'm currently thinking he's going to die of a heroin overdose at 21. He's already had to go to hospital for drinking until he almost fell into a coma in the freezing cold. Didn't teach him any lessons though.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
Doubt it. I'm currently thinking he's going to die of a heroin overdose at 21. He's already had to go to hospital for drinking until he almost fell into a coma in the freezing cold. Didn't teach him any lessons though.

There are some things I will just never understand, and the human fascination with drugs and alcohol is one of them. I get that it's an addiction, but why even get involved in the first place?

Have you talked to him about it, and let him know how it makes you feel?
Quote by denizenz
There are some things I will just never understand, and the human fascination with drugs and alcohol is one of them. I get that it's an addiction, but why even get involved in the first place?

Have you talked to him about it, and let him know how it makes you feel?

I've told him a few times in the past it's retarded (sibling way of expressing concern and all that) but he never listens. He's got a court thing coming up soon which may land him in a juvie centre for a year. I'm hoping he'll go and learn something. But apparently kids who go there come out worse from the other kind of people they meet. I dunno. He'll just end up killing himself.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
I've told him a few times in the past it's retarded (sibling way of expressing concern and all that) but he never listens. He's got a court thing coming up soon which may land him in a juvie centre for a year. I'm hoping he'll go and learn something. But apparently kids who go there come out worse from the other kind of people they meet. I dunno. He'll just end up killing himself.

Where are your parents at? If he were my child he'd be in a boarding school someplace...or the military if he is of age.
Quote by sashki
Hello UG. Time for another rant from me.

I get reasonably good grades in all subjects (at least I used to). Only since the beginning of my IB course, I've been phailing at Higher Maths. And I blame the teacher. He doesn't actually explain how to do something. He writes an equation on the board which we haven't ever done before, and expects us to just know how it's done.

And today, he told the entire class that hard work won't get you anywhere in the IB.

So basically, you either get it or you don't. And if you don't they you might as well quit life now, cos you'll never ammount to anything.

I feel encouraged....NOT

Anyone else had teachers like this?

Well mate, I'm in my final IB year and since starting I've dropped from maths higher to maths studies

I found higher maths to be far too difficult to comprehend. It wasn't just an issue with the teacher, as I had a couple of different ones and I'm also struggling in standard physics. He is, however, talking a crock of sh*t if he really believes that hard work isn't important for the IB; it is, if anything, more important than raw academic intelligence, so long as you have the natural ability to meet the demands of the course.
I would suggest getting a maths tutor or some other third party to help with your course for a little while, this will help you determine if higher maths is just too hard for you (it can be a difficult thing to admit, trust me) or if you are capable of it and instead need to talk to your head of maths/year to make sure that you are taught the course properly.

Good luck
Love is not a victory march.
Quote by denizenz
Where are your parents at? If he were my child he'd be in a boarding school someplace...or the military if he is of age.

He's fifteen, so no military. And we're not too big on boarding schools over here. If they punish him he just punches holes in the walls, and sneaks out at night. Not much they can do, really.

-Matthew Arnold

Quote by Dinkydaisy
He's fifteen, so no military. And we're not too big on boarding schools over here. If they punish him he just punches holes in the walls, and sneaks out at night. Not much they can do, really.

What a dick face. Good luck with that I suppose.

Now that we've severely hijacked this thread, no one will see my genius demotivator.
Quote by denizenz
What a dick face. Good luck with that I suppose.

Now that we've severely hijacked this thread, no one will see my genius demotivator.

Oh hot damn.

Let's just both leave. I'll get the door.

-Matthew Arnold