I (well myself and my lead guitarist/co-writer) am possibly looking to invest in a bass guitar for recording with. I know next to nothing about basses so all I can tell you is that we're looking for maximum bang-for-buck and want to keep it reasonably cheap, say £200 to £300, but that will still be good enough to record with (probably DI'd and then amp-simmed using something like Amplitube. We're a black metal band so ideally something that will suit that soundwise.

Any suggestions?
"It's not a beard, it's an animal I've trained to sit very still" - Bill Bailey
yea def that ibanez mentioned above...ibanez basses are great
SHOWBREAD

Quote by cheese_weasel
Winner of the intellectual comment of the day award.
Sounds good, how much more would we need to fork out for a 5-string to increase the range?
A fair bit more.

As well as increased amount of materials, they also are produced in smaller numbers, hence a greater cost.

As well as Ibanez, have a look at Squire. If you find a dent one, you will have a great starter bass.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The five string is about $75 more expensive than the four string. No idea how much more that would be in Euro's.
Last edited by Captain Insano at Nov 9, 2007,
Seems it's only about £25 more expensive at GAK to go for the GSR205 than the GSR200

I'll have to talk to bandmate but that looks like a good choice. How does agathis affect the tone of a bass as I know it's not ideal in a guitar.
The agathis isn't ideal, but the bass still has great tone. And most of the basses you'll be in this price range are going to use agathis or basswood, anyways.
Quote by Jodimu
Seems it's only about £25 more expensive at GAK to go for the GSR205 than the GSR200

I'll have to talk to bandmate but that looks like a good choice. How does agathis affect the tone of a bass as I know it's not ideal in a guitar.

Beggars can't be chosers.

At this price range, the best thing to do is just try them out yourself. A single inconspicous thing in a cheap bass can ruin tone. Compared to advertisements for 'tonewood' bodies and necks, agathis is a solid wood for a budget. At this level, half decent construction and pickups matter as much as a solid body wood.

And this comes from a wood freak (i.e. will only stop being fussy when going for classic sounds such as vintage P basses or it can defy normal tones for the wood, such as the incredible basswood musicman bongo).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Buy the Yamaha RBX374.

Around £200 off soundslive.co.uk and without a doubt the best bass in that price bracket.

If I hadn't lucked out on my Fender on ebay, I'd be rockin' an RBX374 to this day.

Fantastic bass, great range of tones from the two beasty 'buckers, and the sleeeeeeeeeekest neck you will ever touch.

The RBX374 has my eternal blessing.