Basically how reliant is the GPS system on society to maintain it? If the earth was, for instance, the victim of a zombie outbreak and 98% of all human life was (un)dead, would the GPS satellites still function and provide me with GPS-ness? Or do they need some form of ground based infrastructure to work?
wasn't GPS more or less a military thing that was only later opened up to the public?

edit:
Control segment

The flight paths of the satellites are tracked by US Air Force monitoring stations in Hawaii, Kwajalein, Ascension Island, Diego Garcia, and Colorado Springs, Colorado, along with monitor stations operated by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA).[10] The tracking information is sent to the Air Force Space Command's master control station at Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado Springs, which is operated by the 2d Space Operations Squadron (2 SOPS) of the United States Air Force (USAF). 2 SOPS contacts each GPS satellite regularly with a navigational update (using the ground antennas at Ascension Island, Diego Garcia, Kwajalein, and Colorado Springs). These updates synchronize the atomic clocks on board the satellites to within one microsecond and adjust the ephemeris of each satellite's internal orbital model. The updates are created by a Kalman filter which uses inputs from the ground monitoring stations, space weather information, and various other inputs.[11]

so, to what I understand, it'd keep working, but it'd start falling out of sync
Last edited by seljer at Nov 9, 2007,
it would **** up. The sattelites need running
Quote by Noyon999

They will be on their knees begging for mercy... But The Pit shall have no such mercy and finish them with a "HADOKEN!"

Founder of the Help UG Achieve World Domination group and Vice President of UGtopia
If 98% of the world got zombified, GPS would be the least of your worries.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by 12Jim34
...What's a GPS?

Though you're probably joking, it's a Global Positioning System.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Zombies don't and will not exist. I'm sorry to ruin that for you.
Quote by Kensai
IF YOU TYPE WITH BIG LETTERS YOUR POINT WILL COME ACROSS EASIER!

Seriously wtf was that?
Quote by Colchester91

it doesn't hurt to be prepared
Quote by Chikitty_China
it would **** up. The sattelites need running

Quote by denizenz
It wouldn't work.

a) I'm certain there are ass loads of wired data communication infrastructure to keep it working

b) Someone has to pay the electricity bill/run the power plants to power everything

Thats the thing. do the satellites actually need input from the ground to give me GPS? And if they don't, how long until they break down/fall out of orbit?

Quote by Colchester91

And thats where you're wrong.
Quote by NorseGodofRock
Thats the thing. do the satellites actually need input from the ground to give me GPS? And if they don't, how long until they break down/fall out of orbit?

You are not communicating to a satellite from your hand held GPS. I guarantee that the signal is relayed through your provider's network. The breakdown would likely be as soon as that facility were shut down.

Also, I'm sure the satellite receives coordinates from people. I don't think it's preprogrammed into proper trajectory/orbital pattern, but I could be wrong about that.