I'm not exactly sure how to word this, but im learning this song on guitar, and im playing two completely different things with each hand. The song is Africa by Andy Mckee, one hand plays a percusion part, the other plays bass and melody. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on learning this technique. I can play both parts really well, because they are simple, but when i try putting them together its disasterous! I thought maybe a pianist could explain it best, because they are use to playing a melody with one hand, and a bassline with the other.
You're playing it on the guitar? I really have no idea what you mean. Sorry.
Quote by Kensai
IF YOU TYPE WITH BIG LETTERS YOUR POINT WILL COME ACROSS EASIER!

Seriously wtf was that?
i mean that im playing like usual with my left hand, but im making a beat with my right.
Quote by Steve The Plank
Hi, I play piano. Like all instruments, you have to start off slow, and repeat bars over and over again, building in speed each time.

I can't my hands go all haywire
Quote by RedSox_o4

Go even slower. Maybe even just keep repeating a note or two, rather than a whole bar.

Unless you have some sort of ****ed up hand condition that literally makes it spasm everytime you try and combine the hands. If that's the case, I can't help you, sorry, but maybe a doctor can.
Quote by RedSox_o4

That is why you practice.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Quote by RedSox_o4
I'm not exactly sure how to word this, but im learning this song on guitar, and im playing two completely different things with each hand. The song is Africa by Andy Mckee, one hand plays a percusion part, the other plays bass and melody. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on learning this technique. I can play both parts really well, because they are simple, but when i try putting them together its disasterous! I thought maybe a pianist could explain it best, because they are use to playing a melody with one hand, and a bassline with the other.

Play them together VERY slowly. Take it one part at a time, when you can do that part move on to the next.

Thats how i've been learning Drifting by Mr McKee. It's slow but it works. It's like learning to play the guitar all over again, but thats what it takes to learn such a drasticallly different technique.
Playing with both hands is easy. I used to think it was almost impossible, too, but it's not.

You just have to slow it down and work out which notes you're playing with one hand and which notes you;re playing with the other. At the end of the day, either both hands will be playing a note together, or one will wait while they other plays a note. Using that mindset, you can learn any complex, two-handed piece.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
when playing both at the same time do the bass line first and play slower get the bass line pinned is thehard part. when you can play the bass slowly aswell as the melody go faster eventually youll get it. thats what i do with piano..
Quote by Malcom Middleton
“Dying is a bit like writing a letter to Santa. Unless you've been a good boy or girl, you're fucked.”

Quote by RageAgainst...

what the fuck is "getting toasted"?

Quote by leftyguy
tranqd killer, are you Hatton's trainer or something?

THE KILLERS FAN GROUP