OK. SO I have a fairly decent Squier Strat (14 yrs old, before they were complete crap. It has an FR II but the stock pups were decent (SSH) and I can't afford anything else.

However, there is a "kink" in the neck that causes it to fret out on the upper frets (this is what a fairly good guitar tech told me, so I'm going with it)

So what I want to do is make it a new neck and then attach that to it. This would be a fairly easy fix to my problem as far as I can tell.

1. Can you see any problems with this idea?
2. What wood would I use? I know rosewood for the fretboard but I've no idea for the actual neck.
3. How much do you think this would cost?
4. How exactly would I go about this?

Thanks in advance.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
for what your going to pay for materials and everything you could get a decent neck for a fair price... I have a maple neck that I bought for like 40 bucks... it looks amazing, I don't plan on selling it but i can tell you which ebay store to get it from... you should check it out.
Yes, I want to do it myself, since those necks cost from 157 to 383 dollars. I need a cheap fix. If I had a ton of money, I'd buy a new guitar.
I'm looking for a tab of The Marshall Plan, by Blue Oyster Cult, and of Mario Minor, by Powerglove. If you have one please PM me.
I wouldnt wanna build a neck. lots of work. U have to shape the neck with a file or sureform, at least most ppl do. Then u have to route and install a truss rod, which isnt too easy. Radiusing the fretboard also isnt too easy. Id rather buy one from Warmoth or WDMusic.com, as they have licensed Fender necks. And i think Fender necks fit on Squire bodies. Just check the dimensions of ur neck cavity with those on Warmoth.
Welll.... If it's that complicated, I'll prolly just wait and buy a new axe. Thanks anyway.
Buy a warmoth neck, if you go basic (just the neck, no nut or tuners) you'll be spending under $200 I think it could come to about $140 if not cheaper for basic maple and rosewood or maple and maple.
Wow. Nobody answered his questions.

1. Can you see any problems with this idea?
Making necks requires an almost ridiculous amount of precision and exactness (far less if you make a neck but order the fretboard).
2. What wood would I use? I know rosewood for the fretboard but I've no idea for the actual neck.
Necks are usually made of hardrock maple, but rosewood and mahogany work great too (prolly better, but it's more expensive).
3. How much do you think this would cost?
Not really sure. Grizzly Industrial's rosewood neck blanks are around $50. Don't trust me on that, though, just check it out yourself.
4. How exactly would I go about this?
Mostly just rasp and plane the hell out of it until it's the shape and thickness you want.
ive got the same problem w/ my roadstar. i took it to a luthier and he pretty much said that i was screwed. the only way to make the neck some-what playable (not perfect though) is to (a) sand the frets down almost to the fret boars, or (b) to just refret the 8th fret on up. refretting isnt always cheap either and it wont fix the problem completly.

in my opinion, go and buy a half-way decent neck on ebay. i was contemplating one of the necks that "karosaguitars" have to offer on ebay. they typically sell at a decent price and theyre not that bad either.
Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli

--Flen flyys
You have been getting ridiculous responses from what I've read, haven't read them all though.

making a neck Isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. carving it isnt hard. you just need to plan what your doing ill type whats involved in making them

mine cost me about 45$ to make and about 3 hours

theres one basically done besides some heel carving and some touch up work
nice figuring in the maple ^^^... Did you buy a pre-made fretboard or make your own if I may be so inclined? Also are you going to use stainless frets?
made it. no stainless frets

I'm gonna be making a neck Tommorow, all zebrawood, so ill be able to make you a good tutorial if you need it.
Quote by carousel182
You have been getting ridiculous responses from what I've read, haven't read them all though.

making a neck Isn't the hardest thing in the world to do. carving it isnt hard. you just need to plan what your doing ill type whats involved in making them

mine cost me about 45$ to make and about 3 hours

theres one basically done besides some heel carving and some touch up work

3 hours???
did u put a truss rod in?
guitar necks usually take longer than 3 hours to make

and to ts, if u hav the tools already, wont cost much to make, the wood isnt expensive but as Inavder Jim mentioned, u gota be very very precise when cutting the fret slots and measuring up and all, it'll be easier to buy a preslotted fretboard, putting the fretwires in isnt hard so u can do that urself.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
yep truss rods is accessed from the heel. I'm a quick worker.

also whatever you do don't buy a crappy ebay neck. at first it'll be great and you'll think it was a steal but eventually it'll go down hill
Last edited by carousel182 at Nov 10, 2007,
Do you hammer your frets in or use a press? I personally hammer mine when replacing them.
carousel182, what type of equipment did you use?
Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli

--Flen flyys
band saw
jointer
drum sander
router
rasps
drill

also it probably took closer to 5 hours than 3 if you include everything with the fretboard
I'm wondering how many people here have built a neck, I didnt find it too hard although i did use a pre slotted board
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??
Quote by carousel182
band saw
jointer
drum sander
router
rasps
drill

also it probably took closer to 5 hours than 3 if you include everything with the fretboard

Therein lies the problem. If the OP doesn't have access to these tools, it's going to be a pain in the arse for him to make his own neck, or at least very expensive.
i'm not sure about that. i could've easily done it without the drum sander, router or jointer.
if he doesnt have these basic tools or doesnt plan on buying them i dont know why he would ask about buildiing a neck
Quote by -Atticus-

oh and btw how do u put a quote in ur sig??