Alright, so my favorite time is of year is coming...when I have cash to spend on kick ass new gear. I'm really looking forward to upgrading my sound. My guitars are fine, and, as my parents say, I have too many (but, as we all know, you can never have too many...I think...) guitars. So I'm looking for pedals and stuff.

I came across the Mesa Boogie V-Twin pedal/pre-amp. I'm going to probably get it off of ebay, since that's the only place I know where to find it. But, I'm open to suggestions too.

As far as a wanted sound, I'm looking for a great tube distortion style sound, something like Mesa Recto's or Mark IV (<--because I like Willie Adler's distortion) or even a Peavey Valveking. Now, I know the obvious thing to do is just to buy the damn amp. But I'm living in a dorm room right now, and I don't feel like bringing a huge amp set and then being told I can't use it because its too loud.

So, can anyone tell me some great things about the V-Twin? Or even the Bottle Rocket from Mesa? It would be especially helpful if owners of either one or something that's extremely close/better commented on this too. Just let me know what you like about it, what you don't like about it, if its a good deal, and if it'll be worth it in the long run.

Thanks again in advance, and I'm hoping for some kickass responses. Take care
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!!!

i've had it for about a month to replace my mesa 50 cal+'s deteriorating preamp section. to make a long story short, i use it as an overdrive for the clean channel... guess what, that clean channel aint clean no more. hahahahaha
i play at apartment levels, but i get such a thickness and attack and bite out of this thing. i swear its like a flamethrower/rocket launcher/steamroller all wrapped up into 1 sonic package. and i've got so many tone shaping options, that i'm still gonna be working on it for a while. but the overdrive texture is just MASSIVE!!!
and i think i'm even getting power tube overdrive, cuz i'm hearing a quality to the texture that i've never heard come out of my amp before.
i keep the "master" on the v-twin as low as possible so i can crank the amp's "master" up to about 5-7. neither of the gain knobs are over 7 or 8 and i get such an incredible distortion texture
Thanks seth, I appreciate the advice, and I'll keep those settings in mind. So I'm getting the impression you like it, haha.

Also wanted to update that, as far as genres go, I'm looking for something that does hard rock, rock, and metal with the best quality you can get without needing to donate a kidney. So in other words, that it can handle those genres easily and superbly. Also, can this thing give a 7 string a great bite n' chug to it?

Guitars:
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
dunno about 7-strings. it has 2 channels: clean and dirty. there is a boost switch that works on both, so i assume it can do lesser overdrive textures as well.
but i just took a look at your amp. the fender. looks to be a solid state, so i don't know how the v-twin would react with it.
but the do have high resale value.
if i wasn't so embarrassed by my playing, i'd record some clips. hahahaha
You'd really want to pair that V-Twin with a tube poweramp over a SS poweramp to really put it to use and hear what it's got to offer. A lot of people generally think that the V-Twin will get them a Recto sound, which it doesn't. It's still great for blues, rock, and metal, but it's not voiced to sound like a Recto.
i just got a thought
get it
get a set of studio headphones and monitors for your computer
you can plug it right into a pa system
which i would take to include garageband... or some other similar program.
or a real pa system if you play out somewhere
but i think you'll need a fish'n'chips
and like maxon analog delay
and a wah
Quote by Guitarmiester
You'd really want to pair that V-Twin with a tube poweramp over a SS poweramp to really put it to use and hear what it's got to offer. A lot of people generally think that the V-Twin will get them a Recto sound, which it doesn't. It's still great for blues, rock, and metal, but it's not voiced to sound like a Recto.

i honestly don't know THE recto sound. i've heard them enough to know. and those have been live viewings. heard soldano, scores of marshalls (like easily 2/3rds of every live show i've ever seen), a fender in uber-drive playing 80s NY-street hardcore.
never heard h&k, engl,
i must have heard a dumble in the 4 times i saw SRV.
3 times on peir 72 and once in Radio City Music Hall in new york city
never heard a peavey ???? live
don't know what Prong used in the late 80s for Forced Fed or Beg to Differ

but i know what i get out of that thing, so NnYegHnNyEGhg
A good majority of PA systems use SS poweramps for high wattage. Which isn't bad at all, that preamp will really kick some ass if he paired it with a tube poweramp. Going by what he said in his first post, "I'm living in a dorm room right now..." using a PA is out of the question.

sethp - I have no idea what you were trying to get at with your last post. I've seen a ton of live shows, I've heard and played a good variety of amps that come up in most discussions. I see no point in making a long list of shows I've been to.

"but i know what i get out of that thing, so NnYegHnNyEGhg"

I never said you didn't know what the V-Twin is capable of. I've had one myself, I'm pretty familiar with it. Not sure what the last part of that sentence was supposed to say or mean.
I actually do gig though, buts it like once or twice a month. And no, the gigs aren't in dorm rooms.

Thanks for all the advice. I've got 2 amps actually, they should both be up there. I've got a tiny amp (a practice amp) with me at the moment, but eventually, I hope I can have a small tube amp or something. My other amp is a Crate half-stack. I might be pairing it with my fender combo for more volume, since I get covered up by the other guitarist in my band.

And to be honest, I guess I was overestimating the sound I could expect from this. I'm really just looking for a pretty good distortion, but can kick out some cleans like no one's business.

Any other suggestions for a pedal type distortion with tubes or something? I'm at a 3 way choice
the V-Twin (no one has mentioned the bottle rocket, haha)
a Rocktron Silver Dragon (I've heard some good things)
and then one guy who mentioned an ENGL or something that was really great.

Guitars:
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
The V-Twin is a great preamp I'm sure you'd be impressed by it, but it's no Recto-in-a-box. I can't say anything on the Bottle Rocket, never had one or had the chance to try one. It seems like your looking for a pedal, not a preamp. The V-Twin can be used as a pedal, but most people that use the V-Twin use it as a preamp. You could easily use it as a preamp if your amp(s) have an effects loop.

Are you looking for a pedal or a preamp?
i'm just being stoopid
but yes, he wouldn't use a pa system in his dorm. but it would be a good "first stage" to some kind of nice setup, that he could auctally use in a more functional way if he gets like and mbox or something. and play thru his computer and actually record something.
so i say go for it
i think any one of those would be a good choice
is the silver dragon tube-driven?
Last edited by sethp at Nov 10, 2007,
yeah, the silver dragon is tube driven. It's actually both, you can use pure tube, or then use both.

As for your question miester, I'm looking actually a little bit more at a pre-amp, since I'm hoping to get some recording software for x-mas, along with some kind of interface. That, or if I can plug directly into the comp. with it.

I would invest in a V Twin rack if I needed a pure pre-amp, I understand that. But I'm looking for 50/50. So I guess I'm looking for both in a sense. I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense. Do you or does anyone have a sound clip or something of this thing?

Guitars:
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
I used to have a small rack setup that I've been slowly getting rid of since getting my Carvin Legacy combo. I've had an ADA Mod4 MkII MP1 that I used for a few years, awesome preamp with a ton of versatility. If you're looking to record, preamp directly into a recording interface, it's not going to be what you're most likely thinking. When I record direct with my MP1, I always use a cabinet simulator. Without it, you're getting sound directly from the preamp, which is pretty thin and brittle sounding. Just like how some amps have a Line Out (some even have a certain cabinet voicing like my Legacy) you're still getting sound directly from the preamp.

If I lost you anywhere, let me know and I'll try to make it clearer.
nope, I getcha. I'll keep that in mind. So direct recording isn't too great with this thing. How is it going into an effects chain? Like if I put my multi-fx pedal into it...or vice-versa? As a pedal how does it handle? I'm just trying to figure out what this thing kicks ass at, see if it will apply/does apply to what I need it for, and if not, what I can do to remedy that, or if I should go on to a different item

Guitars:
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin