Hey, I'm workign on re-wiring a guitar and decided to add an LED to the guitar, the only problem is how to...
I have some basic knowledge on wiring LEDs so that shoudn't be a problem and am fairly literate in the ways of soldering. I've taken some things with LEDs apart at the house and have seen them with 4 round thin batteries (the name escapes me) and one with 3 AAA batteries. The 3 AAA used a green chip while the 4 ronds thin battery one did not.

My question is can I wire a single LED by using 2 AA batteries?
How would I go about mounting it?
Can someone please make me a wiring diagram or point me towards one that uses AA batteries?

Thanks a lot.
Quote by becker009
Question:

what's the LED going to be used for exactly on your guitar???

Basically for show : )

I had hoped I could have a 2-way switch controlling the LED on/off/

Thanks for your interest in the thread.
where will it be placed on the guitar? like will you be cutting out part of it or just like, taping on an LED...
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
where will it be placed on the guitar? like will you be cutting out part of it or just like, taping on an LED...

It will go either inbetween the volume and tone knobs or inside underneath the humbucker so it will show light underneath the humbucker.

p.s. It's a rear-routed guitar.
If you;re going to go through the trouble of putting an LED, i'd personally make a big show of it and put a bunch in making some sort of cool effect.

Just me though
Quote by sonixon
If you;re going to go through the trouble of putting an LED, i'd personally make a big show of it and put a bunch in making some sort of cool effect.

Just me though

True, true...

I guess I can decide what to do as soon as I find out how to mount the 2 AA batteries. I'm assuming that'll give it enough power to power quite a few LEDs.

Oh and room isn't an issue, I'm routing anyways.
cool effects eh? like what?
Quote by CodeMonk
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Quote by bob farrell

When Teenagers Crash Their Mothers Cars And Slash A Few Tires, The UG Justice Team Will Be There, And Justice . . . . . . . .Will Be Served!!!!
Quote by CanadaHckyDude
cool effects eh? like what?

It's a single LED. What effect do you think it will have?

Anyway, you'll want to include a current limiting resistor or you'll burn your LED out. By simple math, the current limiting resistors value can be calculated by the following.

R = (Vs - Vl) / I

Let's say your LED has a forward voltage of 2.2V and a peak current draw of 15mA, but you want to run it a bit cooler to preserve battery life. This gives you (3V - 2.2V) / (10 x 10^-3) = 80 ohms. Look up the data for your LED and directly sub it's values in.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
i think that putting LED's under the pickups would look awesome. also, put them in other places, if youre going to do it, then go all out.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
It depends on what current you want them to draw. To be quite honest, that's a ridiculously low power LED (I've got some green LED's that are 15000mcd at 15mA and yours is 5mcd at 28mA). Going off the calculated values, you should be getting (3 - 2.2) / 20mA current draw (just a made up value, less than the maximum rated) = 40 ohms. I think you may have done something wrong with your calculations...
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Why are you using 2 AA batteries for 1 LED? Seems a bit pointless considering you will have to resist it alot, just got for 1 battery and a smaller resistor, I'de put an LED under each pick up as well, would look cool

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
Why are you using 2 AA batteries for 1 LED? Seems a bit pointless considering you will have to resist it alot, just got for 1 battery and a smaller resistor, I'de put an LED under each pick up as well, would look cool

Two batteries = necessary forward voltage for decent LED brightness (one battery will only be 1.5V while the LED needs 2.2).
Ah right that sucks, they should make them lower power :P

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind

nothing to do with the power of them it's just a characteristic of a diode...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Absent Mind
A frog should have wings so he doesn't bump his ass every time he jumps.

...but it doesn't work that way and neither does the threshold voltage required for light emission from a semiconductor junction. It's not like you have a choice. It's a limitation of physics and chemistry.

This bears NO resemblance to incandescence in a filament of wire.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
i think a flashy sticker would be better. i have bad experience with active electronics in a guitar tho. so thats just me.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard