I am a new guitar player been playing for a few weeks now. My question is are there any techniques or something I am missing when I'm playing these chords. Mostly it is the C chords I am having problems with. No matter how much I arch my fingers or concentrate on not letting my other fingers touch any of the strings it just don't work. Whenever I strum I don't get the full sound, I get more of a thud out of the strings than anything.
you are going to hate to keep hearing this but it just takes practice. your hands are not strong enough or flexible enough to do the chords perfectly yet but with constant practice you will be able to
It takes a while for your hands to get used to playing chords (or anything, for that matter). You'll get it soonm enough if you just practice all of your basic chords every day.

Also, try to get it right just once: play each string individually down the chord and make sure none are muted, and keep making adjustments until it works. Try it.

Good luck!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Yeah dude, there's a reason why everyone suggests practice: It is the solution.
"Strangers passing in the street, by chance two separate glances meet, and I am you and what I see is me."
make sure to try and use your fingerTIPS to fret the notes, not the flat part of the finger...

your thumb should be centered on the back of the neck, pressed firmly to provide counterbalance for your fretting fingers, pointing towards the headstock / tuners... it doesn't have to be a perfect 90 degrees, but it should be close.

the rest is just a long slow process of training your fingers how to properly sit on the strings and learning little by little how to get only sounds you want from the guitar, and none of the sounds you don't.

practice practice practice
The most evil word in the world. PRACTICE. I still have the same problems your having time to time.

My teacher calls it the Three P's: Practice, Practice, Practice.
I know your frustration! I've been at it for only a few weeks and the first time I tried to do a 'G' chord I thought for sure I would never be able to play it - ever! So I sat down for a couple hours and just slowly switched between 'G' and 'D'....over and over. Then I switched to major and pent scales...rested and then went back to G<->D, over and over.

If you get bored, just sit in front of the TV and practice fingering the same chords. If you play without an amp in front of the tv, you should be able to feel a string vibrating against a finger if you have it fingered wrong.
Quote by _A.D.I.D.A.S._
The most evil word in the world. PRACTICE. I still have the same problems your having time to time.

My teacher calls it the Three P's: Practice, Practice, Practice.

Every time I hear that, I have a strong urge to punch a baby.

In the face.

But it's the truth, practice makes perfect!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Thanks for the encouragement, it's nice to see other people struggling with it a little bit. Makes me feel better I'm not the only one that has a problem with it. I guess I just need to practice more. I had stop for today was getting to frustrated. Thanks for the tip there frigginjerk, I wasn't having my thumb in the middle, was more towards the top, makes things a little easier, just have to get my fingers used to the position but that shouldn't take too long hopefully.
yeah dude ive been playing for two years and still dont have F down real well and I practice at least 4 times a week for 2 hrs.. granted I don't practice F as much as I should, but its all practice till your fingers are in excruacitaing pain and you cant play anymore. At this point, play more...
I went through the same thing TS. The flesh on my middle finger would touch the B string and give a muted sound... And man t'was annoying!

But i didn't let it bother me, i played it even though it sounded bad. As time passed by, the sound became clearer and clearer. Now it's sounds just great. So keep playing it over and over again

And make sure your fretting the chord right...
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

keep practicing, you might mot be pressing the strings hard enough which is why you get a thud raher than the chord

Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by gavz_verdikt
There is a box below Private Messages and right of Log Out.
I think the TS will know what to do next

I went through the same thing TS. The flesh on my middle finger would touch the B string and give a muted sound...

Try it with 5 year old hands Gave me fits trying to learn at age 5...

As others have said, I'm going to make the same statement you don't want to read yet again...

Practice, practice, practice...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by fatfarmowl
Thanks for the encouragement, it's nice to see other people struggling with it a little bit. Makes me feel better I'm not the only one that has a problem with it. I guess I just need to practice more. I had stop for today was getting to frustrated. Thanks for the tip there frigginjerk, I wasn't having my thumb in the middle, was more towards the top, makes things a little easier, just have to get my fingers used to the position but that shouldn't take too long hopefully.

no prob dude. the guitar is the least ergonomic of all instruments, so it's the little things in posture and technique that will help you get over the beginner / intermediate hump, and start making major progress. good luck man!
Thumb position. Alter it.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
maybe it's the positioning of ur hand? i used to have this problem and my teacher told me it was the way i'd arch my hand. also try to hit each note individually w/o muting them
I usually watch a film/TV with my guitar and go up the chord scales in arpeggio just to make sure I have nice full contacts with the strings on the frets.

Also, for the C chord, remember to either use your ring finger (which should be on A3) or thumb to mute the E string.

After you get the positioning ok, you'll need to learn how to efficiently move between chords. C>G>C... is good
Yeah everyone goes through that, my teacher gave me a lot of song with C chords and i am good at them now... now i suck at f's and bar chords
Dude I've been playing more than a year and I still have trouble playing a C major in time (mostly because I've avoided it for a good long time), but recently I have been practicing an hour a day and I am getting better at it. Practice really does help, but make sure it is actual practice....
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
What I did for one of my buddies is, I made him do the G chord, because it uses all the fingers basically, and I myself would strum through string by string, until he gets it perfect, then I make him hold it there for a WHILE. Guess what? It works! All he's gotta improve on now is relaxing his hand so his strumming is more ringing and smooth.
Quote by chasingeuphoria
wait till u get to the barre chords

Just what he needs now! lol!
I have a sig!

Quote by caskettheclown
... ive seen a dog do that once, he was trying to lick his nuts and farted real loud on his face....it sounded like a human fart. now he looks like he has down syndrome for some reason.

Practice chord changes (C<->G, Bm<->Dm etc) over and over and over and over and you'll get there in the end.
Happy, lost and still unaware.
Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe & Epiphone ES-335 "Dot"
Laney VC15 + Ibanez TS808

I Don't Play Metal.
I've had the same problem for a while.. What helped me is practice and try changing from E minor to C major. Start off slow, build up speed when u can do it slowly and after a while ull have it! Also try not concentrate to much coz ul end up forcing your fingers... Hope that made sense!! :-)