ive been looking into getting one but i am not sure which one to get. also, what exactly does a compression pedal do? will it make my sound tighter?
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
From what i understand it compress your sound and gives you better tone even at low volumes. I use a Boss NS-2 which is also a noise-gate, i would recommend that.
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
I wouldnt recommend one. Youd really have to understand the advantages and disadvantages of them to even tell if you need one. And to tell you the truth only about 1 out of 5 players use them right. A compressor with even 3 knobs can get confusing. Out of every 4 or 5 that I sell at work (I work at a music shop) about half of the kids bring it back and go "Dude this sucks all it does is make noise and makes me sound all sloppy!". So, I recommend you search around the forums or maybe check out what wikipedia has to say about compression before you go buy one.
I agree with kurdtkobaign, if you're asking what a compressor does you don't need it. I never had a single person ask me about or want to buy a compressor when I worked at a music shop, pretty surprising now that I think about it.
I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I have an old Ibanez compressor, like this one.
I like the tone I get from it, a lot richer and "better", but I don't really know what it does to be honest. Is it ok for it to be switched on almost always, or in which situations does a compressor normaly work best?

Oh, and is this thing a "brother" of the original Tube Screamer?
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
I guess, in general, the best way or time to use a compressor is for fast, intricate solos...or if you want your chords to sound very even and level. It really is hard to explain. Basically you set a threshold (or in other words a limit) and at any time there is a peak above that threshold in the signal going to the compressor itll take that peak and squeeze it down so that everything sounds even.

Heres what I suggest to people wondering about (HANDS ON EXPERIENCE AHEAD! lol):

Go to a music shop, ask to use any compressor, go hook it up to an amp. Then take the pedal and dime all the knobs, or turn them up all the way. With the compressor on strum the strings as hard as you can. Youll notice that it sounds "squeezed", like the pedal isnt letting that really hard strum come through all the way. Now strum the strings really softly, the volume of the soft strum should be the same as the hard strum.

Now thats a really off the wall explanation, and its not 100% what a compressor is meant for, but it gives you a really good idea about the idea behind the effect.
Most people that use compressors (and know how to) generally leave theirs on all the time. I do a lot of recording so I come across compressors often. Compressors, at least to me, are hard to explain without being able to show the person I'm explaining to. There's various compression ratios that will make absolutely no sense to someone who knows little to nothing about compressors.
Right. 2/1. 10/1...etc. But when you DO know how to use them theyre great for ANYthing lol. I use it on my snare when recording keep it from peaking, and obviously for vocals when I run sound for bands since nowadays kids are always singing like 80 feet from the mic because theyre too busy "rockin out" or AKA looking like a tool on stage. Then out of nowhere theyll eat the mic hard and clip the board.

Ugh...I hate running sound for screamo bands haha.
Try mixing for a singer that ALWAYS says, "can you add chorus and maybe some delay to that?" Or, when you let a drummer attempt mixing his drum track in with the entire mix. Hit playback and the drums are up front and everything else is in the background.
lol Yeah from my experience [most] drummers are extremely selfish and they always want more of themselves in the mix.
I bought a used Boss compression pedal for $25 and enjoy it. it's a nice coloring to your leads, and also sounds nice and cleans up my clean tones.

the boss is also a 'sustainer' so it does the obvious, which opens up some other tonal possibilities. I don't use it much to be honest. mostly because I don't have a pedal board, nor am I a big effects guy. the only effect pedal I constantly have in the loop is my EQ.
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!