What is the diffrence between el84's and el34's.

Do they both sound the same?

Is an el84 just the same as an el34 but can overdrive at lower levels

how much do the differ in terms of, volume/tone/sound/rock n roll sound

if you can give me any more information on these tubes please let me know

thanks
Not even close an el84 is rated at about watts of power. An el34 is rated at close to 90 watts. 34s are used in marshall amps. As for sound dont know. You know what a marshall sounds like. But would need to find the little amp with the 84s to know how they sound.
so say you played a marshall but with el84's, how much diffrent in sound and tone would you ehar, is it alot or more just volume and power?
Marshalls have EL84's and Voxes have EL34's. And I was told you can't swap the sets out because the pins don't line up. That's the simplified answer at least.

EDIT: Corrected myself.
Ben
Last edited by muffinman123192 at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by muffinman123192
Marshalls have EL84's and Voxes have EL34's. And I was told you can't swap the sets out because the pins don't line up. That's the simplified answer at least.

I thought Vox used EL84's...at least the new ones do anyway
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
amps with EL34 will have either less tubes, or higher output wattage than an amp with EL84.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by muffinman123192
yeah I'm sorry i switched em around.

Marshalls have the 34s and Voxes have the 84s

well, thats not really true.

the dsl 401 uses el84s, and didn't the bluesbreaker use el84s?

and check the "everything you need to know about tubes" thread
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

but how much do the differ in sound rather than volume, like could i get led zep or GNR tones with el84's
Quote by hairball

I did it said the voxes use the 34s and i asked Jon about switching the tubes out in an AC30 with some el84's and he said the pins wouldn't match. In laymen's terms of course.
Ben
ac30s use el84s stock, not el34s.

but TS, yes, you will be able to get that sort of sound. but check out the tube sticky like i said.
Quote by TehJermie
you can get that toneblaster stack at the cost of your dignity.

Quote by silhouettica
fine, screw the cheese sandwich if you must...

I think my JCM900 2x12 combo uses el84s, and the JCM900 heads use el34s. I really prefer the sound of the JCM900 head to the sound of the combo. The head sounds a bit crunchier in the mid range while the combo sounds a bit too smooth in the same range. And, IMO, the distortion in general on the head version is way crunchier and more gritty than the combo. The combo is really smooth sounding to me...Idk.
EL84's have more midrange, more crunchy sounding, VERY british sounding. A lot of people say they are mini EL34's, which is somewhat correct because the differences (besides wattage and dissapation) are very subtle. You'd have to know what you're listeing for. EL34's put out a lot more power, they have more hi end and more growl, also very british sounding.

Basically a JCM800 or plexi is what an EL34 sounds like, and a Vox ac30 or 18 watt (bluesbreaker) is what an EL84 sounds like. You could definetly get most EL34 tones from an EL84, 18 watt marshalls are god-like and they used 84's.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
EL84s are used quite a bit in lower wattage vintage styled amps (Carvin Vintage, Peavey Classics, Old 18w marshalls I believe too). EL34s have a higher power rating and are a different tube altogether. They are both pentodes but EL84s plug into noval (9 pin) sockets while EL34s are octal (8 pin) and use the same sockets as 6L6s and the like.

Also there are adapters that are made that allow you to use EL84s as octal tubes, but I don't know how much work is involved in using them or if it has any negative effects on the amp or tone.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
I think my JCM900 2x12 combo uses el84s, and the JCM900 heads use el34s. I really prefer the sound of the JCM900 head to the sound of the combo. The head sounds a bit crunchier in the mid range while the combo sounds a bit too smooth in the same range. And, IMO, the distortion in general on the head version is way crunchier and more gritty than the combo. The combo is really smooth sounding to me...Idk.

Generally, English JCM900 amps use EL34s and American JCM900 amps use 6L6s stock.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by hairball

all said there really
like could i get led zep or GNR tones with el84's

Yep. Or EL34, or 6L6, or 6V6...in other words, any tube amp. My Super Reverb uses 6L6 power tubes, I get the hottest preamp tubes I can find and I can peg Zeppelin's sound, ZZ Top, you name it. Never tried to play GnR actually, but give the Super all the gain I can and it will do it. If I need a bit more I kick in the overdrive pedal.

Bottom line is I can get the sound I want or very close from any tube amp, I don't care whose name is on it or what tubes it uses. I have a 6 watt Fender Champ that will sound exactly like most classic rockers plugged into a 12" speaker, it originally used a 6V6 tube, I swapped it for a 6L6 long ago. I keep the hottest preamp tube I can find in it, no other modifications. That said, I do like 6L6 tubes, they seem to hold up really well after playing them for 20 years in all my amps.

People can say what they want about more gain, more mids etc, but if you just tweak the gain and tone controls a bit and try different preamp tubes, just about any tube amp will get the sound you're after. David Gilmour is a perfect example, he uses Hiwatt heads onstage and in the studio he uses low wattage Fender combos (mostly Vibrolux), Galien Kruger and Soldano among other amps. It still sounds like David Gilmour...Same for Jimmy Page, Marshall stacks onstage, Supro and other lower wattage combos in the studio. Clapton, ditto. Marshall, Fender and Music Man onstage, Fender Champ for the Layla album, probably low wattage Music Man amps for a lot of other studio work, he's a long time fan of Music Man so is Johnny Winter.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Dirk Gently
Generally, English JCM900 amps use EL34s and American JCM900 amps use 6L6s stock.

I just checked my amp and realized that my JCM900 4102 uses 5881s in the power amp and ECC83s in the pre-amp... most 100watt models use the same tubes. Some use EL34s but I think I heard that most use 5881s. Idk, I might just be making it up lol...
^sorry but the 6L6s (or english 5881) 900s are far far inferior to the el34 loaded ones - the ones to get are the Mk3's which do kick ass and sound like 800s, the 6L6's are highly brittle and slightly fuzzy