Ok, heres the deal, im still vaguely considering a variax, but im not leaning more towards traditional guitars.
the situation is this, ill have about $900 to spend, but i could swing a bit more probly if i work it off with my parents. I can either put all of the money into a guitar, and get an american HSS strat. The onyl problem is, id have to suffer with a peavey RAGE 158 for a bit because at college i definitely wont be bring my 50 year old tube amp.
So the other option is to spend $600 and get a lp sort of thing or a deluxe MIM strat. but witht eh extra 300-400$ i could get a nice amp that i could use in a dorm.

So, should i buy the top of the line, suffer with the 15watt peavey, which rly sounds pretty darn good. and upgrade my amp next time i get the cash. or go with the two guitars ill list below and go ahead and buy a nice amp?

ESP Les Paul

Fender Deluxe Players Powerhouse

The American I'm looking at
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
i say sell the spider iii then buy an hss and a fender hot rod delux. sexy guitar with a sexy amp for your dorm. they sell the hotrods in white and surf green. and it should fit perfect for your price range.
its generally more economic to get an amazing piece of a rig as part of a **** rig, as opposed to having a full "average" rig; the former option will mean youll never waste a large amount of money

EDIT: oh, and as much as fender guitars are AMAZING, they will always cost more than theyre worth, so from an economic perspective i'd go with the ESP
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
Quote by whosamerica
i say sell the spider iii then buy an hss and a fender hot rod delux. sexy guitar with a sexy amp for your dorm. they sell the hotrods in white and surf green. and it should fit perfect for your price range.

well i like my spider, but even if i tried to sell it, who would buy it? lol everyone and their mother hates spider's. ...except me of course...and my mom thinks its cool so yea
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Go with the deluxe. Great axe.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
actually, MIMs are pretty good guitars... they're not as good as Americans, but they still are great for the money. remember, Jimi Hendrix didn't have a $3000 custom guitar
Quote by bored_maniac33
well i like my spider, but even if i tried to sell it, who would buy it? lol everyone and their mother hates spider's. ...except me of course...and my mom thinks its cool so yea

Sell it to some 10 year old n00b with a squier.
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by ebbbaaa
Sell it to some 10 year old n00b with a squier.

*sniffle*...........or a 17 year old.....like myself
Quote by Johansensan

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
Look at a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. They're gorgeous guitars and sound great. Not too pricey either.
Signatures are too mainstream