I went to the gym a couple of days ago for the first time in a long time. Now the part of my biceps towards the arm joints are swollen. I can't really extend my arms without feeling pain in the end of my biceps. Is this normal?
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
You could be overdoing it. Are you lifting weights?

Yeah I lifted some. A rather lot actually, considering my muscles aren't particularly fit.
your supposed to start off light and work your way up so your joints can get used to it
Quote by VashHash
your supposed to start off light and work your way up so your joints can get used to it

Yup, listen to this chap. You can't go all Hercules right away mate It'll be worth the wait.
Quote by VashHash

Yeah but it's not dangerous is it? I haven't damaged my musles or something? I wouldn't have lifted as much as I did, but my friend told me I was a wuss and I generally don't know much about lifting weights or working out...
Edit: Ok so it's not dangerous at least. That's comforting to know.
well it means you're working hard. but you probably shouldnt do any weights for a few days now, let them heal. Because when you work out, theyre sore because theres little tears in them or something, so they need to heal, and then when theyre better, you will be stronger, but take it easier next time.
Quote by NGD1313
I cen lyk spel reel gud. I came n 2nd n da spelling b, sum dumb 4en kid beet meh.
It's just your muscles telling you to slow down. You probably worked you biceps to **** during the workout. You can't just go into a gym after being idle for years and start busting out bench presses, curls, and pulls at 300#. You have to condition your way back into the workout.
hammer down some glucosamine and definitely take it ez ****ing up your muscles is nothing they heal but the joints are different
Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
Yeah but it's not dangerous is it? I haven't damaged my musles or something? I wouldn't have lifted as much as I did, but my friend told me I was a wuss and I generally don't know much about lifting weights or working out...
Edit: Ok so it's not dangerous at least. That's comforting to know.

Ignore your friend. In fact, punch him in the face when your arms get all beefy

Yeah it's not dangerous, but it could be if you don't pay attention to the warnings mate. Just get back into the routine.
try SLOWLY stretching them out and just laying or sitting that way. they'll loosen up a bit and wont be as sore.
Quote by Kurt-Corgan
In gr.8 we got into purple nurples so much that the school would suspend anyone they saw doing it. We had really good aim.
you probably havent been exercising, so you strained your muscles

should go away in a couple of days, just goes to show you that you really need to exercise
I see no sign of fortress.
When I first lifted weights, the next day I had about 30 degrees of movement for my hands before they started hurting. It went away after 1-2 days, and I didn't get it the second time I did it (although I think I did just as many repeats etc.). Nothing to worry about.
i hope your eating atleast a gram of protein per pound of body weight or your going to lose muscle. and i also hope your not working your whole body out every day you go.
Quote by VashHash
and chug some whey protein so they muscles heal faster

+1

but only use it as a SUPPLEMENT. taking proteins isnt supposed to be done if you are going to receive the necessary amount via foods.
the pain is the build up of arachidonic and lactic acid in your muscles. tomorow will be worse, but then it will subside.
It's perfectly fine. Your arms aren't going to drop off anytime soon.

That being said though, give it a week off without lifting any serious weight. Then, when you go back to lifting, do reps you're comfortable with, as opposed to maxing yourself. And make sure you're warmed up sufficiently by doing cardio beforehand, and don't forget to stretch before lifting [after cardio] and after [lifting]. A good stretch is to stretch both your arms out with thumbs up, then turn your thumbs down and hold for the count of 15, twice.

Kapish.
Originally posted by TestForEcho
Badreligionrock is the man.

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
tut, gym is for losers. Steroids are where it's at. All the cool kids are doing them.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by anodetodrivebys
try SLOWLY stretching them out and just laying or sitting that way. they'll loosen up a bit and wont be as sore.

Surprisingly, that didn't help me. Well, I got a little more movement but it really didn't help. Sleep helps.
Quote by killadelphia222
Just do steriods, it's alot easier than lifting.

wrong, in order for steroids to work, you have to work out twice as hard atleast in the gym. they DO NOT build muscle. they increase the recovery time so you can lift harder faster, and the msucles repair faster.
Quote by killadelphia222
Just do steriods, it's alot easier than lifting.

Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
Quote by metalhead296
wrong, in order for steroids to work, you have to work out twice as hard atleast in the gym. they DO NOT build muscle. they increase the recovery time so you can lift harder faster, and the msucles repair faster.

Way to ruin my joke...
Quote by metalhead296

They do build strength, why do you think ill people who lose weight and muscle are prescribed them?

Quote by Pinky19
Badreligionrock you have the greatest avatar of all time. Rejected is the best video. Period.
Don't lift any more unnecessary weight until your arms no longer hurt. Then, wait another day or two, start out with less weight weight and work your way up.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Badreligionrock
They do build strength, why do you think ill people who lose weight and muscle are prescribed them?

steroids are derivatives of testosterone. they prescribe them to people who have low testosterone. they do aid in building strength and muscle, but if your not working out they will do nothing, and when you stop, if your a lightweight already you will lose about 85% of your gains. plus you have to do post cycle therapy, its a bitch. i took a double methylated version of trenbolone, which is a bovine steroid. trust me, i know.
From wikipedia:

Medical uses
Various anabolic steroids and related compounds.

Since the discovery and synthesis of testosterone in the 1930s, anabolic steroids have been used by physicians for many purposes, with varying degrees of success.

* Bone marrow stimulation: For decades, anabolic steroids were the mainstay of therapy for hypoplastic anemias due to leukemia or kidney failure, especially aplastic anemia.[50] Anabolic steroids have largely been replaced in this setting by synthetic protein hormones (such as epoetin alfa) that selectively stimulate growth of blood cell precursors.
* Growth stimulation: Anabolic steroids can be used by pediatric endocrinologists to treat children with growth failure.[51] However, the availability of synthetic growth hormone, which has fewer side effects, makes this a secondary treatment.
* Stimulation of appetite and preservation and increase of muscle mass: Anabolic steroids have been given to people with chronic wasting conditions such as cancer and AIDS.[52][53]
* Induction of male puberty: Androgens are given to many boys distressed about extreme delay of puberty. Testosterone is now nearly the only androgen used for this purpose and has been shown to increase height, weight, and fat-free mass in boys with delayed puberty.[54]
* Testosterone enanthate has frequently been used as a male contraceptive and it is thought that in the near future it could be used as a safe, reliable, and reversible male contraceptive.[55][56]
* Anabolic steroids have been found in some studies to increase lean body mass and prevent bone loss in elderly men.[57][58][59] However, a 2006 placebo-controlled trial of low-dose testosterone supplementation in elderly men with low levels of testosterone found no benefit on body composition, physical performance, insulin sensitivity, or quality of life.[60]
* Used in hormone replacement therapy for men with low levels of testosterone and is also effective in improving libido for elderly males.[61][62][63][64]
* Used to treat gender dysmorphia (the belief that one was born the wrong gender) by producing secondary male characteristics, such as a deeper voice, increased bone and muscle mass, facial hair, increased levels of red blood cells and clitoral enlargement in female-to-male patients.[65]

See point 3 in particular. This relates to Anabolic steroids which I presume people were referring to.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying this steroid will increase your muscle mass without working out. Should've made this clear when talking about it.

Quote by Pinky19
Quote by Fama
Surprisingly, that didn't help me. Well, I got a little more movement but it really didn't help. Sleep helps.

glutamine and leucine will help.
It took me about a month of lifting weights for that to go... perfectly normal
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by Badreligionrock
From wikipedia:

Medical uses

Since the discovery and synthesis of testosterone in the 1930s, anabolic steroids have been used by physicians for many purposes, with varying degrees of success.

* Bone marrow stimulation: For decades, anabolic steroids were the mainstay of therapy for hypoplastic anemias due to leukemia or kidney failure, especially aplastic anemia.[50] Anabolic steroids have largely been replaced in this setting by synthetic protein hormones (such as epoetin alfa) that selectively stimulate growth of blood cell precursors.
* Growth stimulation: Anabolic steroids can be used by pediatric endocrinologists to treat children with growth failure.[51] However, the availability of synthetic growth hormone, which has fewer side effects, makes this a secondary treatment.
* Stimulation of appetite and preservation and increase of muscle mass: Anabolic steroids have been given to people with chronic wasting conditions such as cancer and AIDS.[52][53]
* Induction of male puberty: Androgens are given to many boys distressed about extreme delay of puberty. Testosterone is now nearly the only androgen used for this purpose and has been shown to increase height, weight, and fat-free mass in boys with delayed puberty.[54]
* Testosterone enanthate has frequently been used as a male contraceptive and it is thought that in the near future it could be used as a safe, reliable, and reversible male contraceptive.[55][56]
* Anabolic steroids have been found in some studies to increase lean body mass and prevent bone loss in elderly men.[57][58][59] However, a 2006 placebo-controlled trial of low-dose testosterone supplementation in elderly men with low levels of testosterone found no benefit on body composition, physical performance, insulin sensitivity, or quality of life.[60]
* Used in hormone replacement therapy for men with low levels of testosterone and is also effective in improving libido for elderly males.[61][62][63][64]
* Used to treat gender dysmorphia (the belief that one was born the wrong gender) by producing secondary male characteristics, such as a deeper voice, increased bone and muscle mass, facial hair, increased levels of red blood cells and clitoral enlargement in female-to-male patients.[65]

See point 3 in particular. This relates to Anabolic steroids which I presume people were referring to.

EDIT: I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying this steroid will increase your muscle mass without working out. Should've made this clear when talking about it.

ok, run a steroid cycle, dont lift any weights, and then stop the cycle, doing no PCT, then tell me how much muscle you gained. but the point there that it will preserve lean body mass is true due to your bodys increased healing process, and the reason they increase lean body mass is because the testosterone is being drawn into the bloodstream and muscles, and makes food much more bioavailable also.
Be careful, you can tear the muscle fibres and stunt your growth in the specific areas, so if you are still growing that area will stop, while the rest of you grows. So for example, in your arm areas you will have toothpick arms or "retard" arms that kinda hang. Playing guitar? Fuggitabootit.
Quote by BennyStruggle
Be careful, you can tear the muscle fibres and stunt your growth in the specific areas, so if you are still growing that area will stop, while the rest of you grows. So for example, in your arm areas you will have toothpick arms or "retard" arms that kinda hang. Playing guitar? Fuggitabootit.

that is completely untrue. ive been lifting since 7th grade and ive grown fully and proportionately, and the same with about 8 of my friends and a large amount of people i know, some have been lifting since elementary school. if your doing 405 pound squats at 12 years old you might not grow to your full height, but the rest is bs.