ok so i am the proud owner of a valvetronix50 and after a while of playing with it theres just some things you cant get out of it

i was considering on buying a VJ and am looking at the combo and was just wondering if you could do mods on the combo and if you still can hook it up to a cab

another thing i want to ask is that is the VJ much of an upgrade in sound or is just something nice to have aroud

one more thing do certain VJ model combos have difreent # of speaker out jacks or is it just one jack in general because i saw the picture of it on the epi websete and it had three and then i look on ebay and GC or MF and they all have one wtf is going on
Last edited by the-kid66 at Nov 10, 2007,
I would reccomend putting a jack on the back of the Valvetronix to let you use it as a cab, and put a VJ head on top of it. You can still used the flexibility of the Valvetronix when you want it, and have the delicious class A power of the VJ to play with.
so the valvetronix would be like those tonelabs in a way right and it would give me an EQ
that sounds good but how do i do that
install a jack
Last edited by the-kid66 at Nov 9, 2007,
Actually, not quite what I meant. Doing what you said would digitally scar the VJ's tone. I meant install a jack that lets you use the Valvetronix speaker only for the VJ, but be able to unplug the VJ, and use the Valvetronix like it was stock. This will serve you well 'till you can afford a nicer speaker cab.
well there's a 4 ohm out on the combo. so yeah you can eventually line it out to a cab.

but yeah i think if you want the vj, the head is the way to go.

i used the speaker in my mg until i put together a cab.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I use a speaker laying on the ground, until I can afford to pay someone to build a cab for me(lack of tools).
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
oh ya an the mods i hear about on these im not experienced at all with amps or anything of the sort other than just flicking the switch on
if i buy a kit is it prety easy or should i get a professional to do it
Quote by the-kid66
oh ya an the mods i hear about on these im not experienced at all with amps or anything of the sort other than just flicking the switch on
if i buy a kit is it prety easy or should i get a professional to do it

Just get the amp first. Then go from there.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
Actually, not quite what I meant. Doing what you said would digitally scar the VJ's tone. I meant install a jack that lets you use the Valvetronix speaker only for the VJ, but be able to unplug the VJ, and use the Valvetronix like it was stock. This will serve you well 'till you can afford a nicer speaker cab.

and how exactly would i do that and how much would it cost that sounds like a good idea because the speaker on the vox is preaty decent
unplug the amp. you wont need it plugged in to use the speaker.

take the clips that run to the amp off. (mark the + and the -)

buy thick speaker wire, and a $4, 1/4" input/output jack, and solder the new speaker wires to the jack on one side and to quick disconnect clips on the other.
clip them to the amp.

run the head from the correct ohm output to the speaker.

the vj was overpowering my MGs 50W amp but was still pretty good.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

one more thing i was wondering i just went to the website and saw the combo version and saw that it had jack for hooking up to cabs this would be much preferable to have a combo and still have the ability to atach a cab
my question is that is there any superiority between the combo and the head is the head bettor with cabs or is it the same sht
^and thanks for the info seems easy enough to do i just got how to do it this second im such a dumbass and im a bit slow with getting things thanks again
no problem, and im not sure about the combo vs head question.

i do know that the "original" combos had a hum problem.
now fixed by the manufacturer.

ive heard the combo, but never with attached cab. so i cant say it it's the stock speaker, or other things, going on there.
im guessing here, but i think with the right cab, it should be fine.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by the-kid66
one more thing i was wondering i just went to the website and saw the combo version and saw that it had jack for hooking up to cabs this would be much preferable to have a combo and still have the ability to atach a cab
my question is that is there any superiority between the combo and the head is the head bettor with cabs or is it the same sht

The newest versions of the combo have the same version 2B circutry (the updated/improved circutry) as the head version, so you might want to make sure you're getting a new stock version of the combo. Every head made after the price change from $100 to $130 is also version 2B. These are the best to start from, as they don't require additional modding to make quiet and usefull, since they come out of the box quiet and useful. The combo would be a good idea, I'd say, a good blend of portability and flexability.
^exactly thats exactly what i want i think i will go for a combo and another thing i was wonderin man is that i see the picture of the VJ combo on the epi webpage and then see a pic on ebay or GC or MF and the only diff in the piccs is the back panel on the epi site there a 3 out puts 4ohm 8 and 16 but on the picks on the otheres theres is only one for 4ohm whats up with that
and a another thing is can i mod the combo if i want to will it be as easy as the head
question, if i buy a used epi vj that was purchased from musicians friend about a year ago, will this be the newer version or the older one
if you buy one, used from last year, you are probably getting an old version.

also, ive seen epi combo mod pages as well. thinking it's about the same as far as modding goes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62