how to u usually keep ur guitar tuned? i find it a little difficult to fret the barr chords so i detuned half a step, but recently iv been playing 2 steps down, doesnt matter what tuning th songs supposed to be in cos it sounds good when its down lower anyway lol. anyone else do this?
There's no point fearing death, as it is inevitably going to happen

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Yeah me i just started tuning my guitar to D standard recently.
I believe in Rock and Roll. Can I get an Amen?

Quote by rizo299
A drunk guy on the the bus asked me if i remembered the 60's. I told him i was 17 then he told me that everyone remembers the 60's.

I thought about it, and frankly, I couldn't fault his logic.
My acoustic is either in standard or open C minor most of the time.
But tuning down to D does sound pretty sweet.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
standard
im pretty bland:P
I play a guitar strung with Yngwie's chest hair
My acoustic can't hold tune in standard, but it always holds better on some open tuning or something. So right now Open G, but usually also DADGAD.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Mostly standard for me too.
Occasionly tune to other tunings for a bit of a play.
DADGAD for accompanying flutes an violins an stuff like that (celtic type stuff mainly)
if you're having trouble with barre chords and you can tune your guitar down 2 full steps without getting string buzz... you need to have your action adjusted.
there shouldnt be buzzing when i tune it down tho, i only have trouble barring in standard tuning.

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
^-- if you tune every string on your guitar down two full steps... it will most likely buzz if the action isn't set pretty high to begin with. i think you're missing what i'm trying to say. two full steps is a lot to tune down. the strings are considerably looser if you tune them all two full steps down. if you can loosen your strings that much without them buzzing it sounds like you might need to lower your action. having trouble with barre chords is another symptom of high action.

you see what i'm saying?

how high off the 12th fret is your low e string when you are in standard tuning?
I mostly use Standard, but sometimes i just tune down my low E to D for some songs.
I mostly use standard.. mostly.

Some of the time it's in drop D, open D or open G though.
Standard. The only tuning I ever use apart from this is drop D.

And I only use that for one song now and again. I'm not a believer in changing tunings all over the place. You can get just about any sound out of standard.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

And I only use that for one song now and again. I'm not a believer in changing tunings all over the place. You can get just about any sound out of standard.

Any sound? Maybe. Any tone? Definitely not.

Anyway....whole and a half: Db Gb Cb E Ab Db. It's in this tuning because it's much easier for me to sing along with. I've got another acoustic that I'll move around from open or modal tunings to standard. Depends on what the mood calls for on that one.
R.I.P. Turner Blaine
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

How about playing full chords with a slide?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by jimtaka
^-- if you tune every string on your guitar down two full steps... it will most likely buzz if the action isn't set pretty high to begin with. i think you're missing what i'm trying to say. two full steps is a lot to tune down. the strings are considerably looser if you tune them all two full steps down. if you can loosen your strings that much without them buzzing it sounds like you might need to lower your action. having trouble with barre chords is another symptom of high action.

you see what i'm saying?

how high off the 12th fret is your low e string when you are in standard tuning?

i dont have a clue how high it is, i dont have anythin that would accurately meassure it, i would like to lower my action slightly but i dont want the intonation to go out which would most likely happen if i shave away the saddle.
and also i dont want the strings to buzz when i tune lower.

and claptonwannabe u cant get any sound out of standard, i prefer the notes i be lower, and u cant get those notes in standard

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
Quote by S0ulja23
How about playing full chords with a slide?

For a start, that's why I said 'just about any.'

Also, I have never come across a piece of music that I have wanted to play where I've needed an open tuning.

Using alternate tunings becomes a novelty far too quickly. People jump into them and go 'whoooaaahh this is amazing.' I'm not saying that any of you do that, it's just not my kind of thing. And it's a personal opinion so you can't argue with it.

My idol, Tommy Emmanuel, has used standard on the vast majority of his songs. Try telling him he's not getting the right sound.

Say what you want, I think that you can create any mood you want in standard tuning. If you downtune to sing, that's fine. Just my opinion.
nobody said its wrong to use standard tuning or anything like that, we were mearly sayin that for somethings its better to tune down thats all

ESP Ltd H-302
Jackson KE3 (for sale)
Schecter Blackhawk
Roland Cube 60
he never said it was wrong to use down tunings, he just said he prefers standard. Quit being so god damn defensive.
Quote by acjshapiro

Quote by Vrstone87

meh, I've listened to every radiohead album and honestly don't get what everyone loves about them.....

cause you're ****ing stupid

I keep my favourite guitar in standard and my 2nd favourite tuned half a step down because they are my 2 most commonly used tunings. My 12 string i keep in open C and my 3rd fav acoustic i keep in Drop Db. I then have a beater which i just use for any other tuning i might need, its currently in DbAbDbDbDbDb.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

My idol, Tommy Emmanuel, has used standard on the vast majority of his songs. Try telling him he's not getting the right sound.

Define right.

Try a little man. You might learn something or you may enjoy yourself.

Anyways, Open C at the moment (CGCGCE) because I've been playing a lot of John Butler songs.
Last edited by вяaи∂ иєw at Nov 13, 2007,
Quote by craig_mccann
i dont have a clue how high it is, i dont have anythin that would accurately meassure it, i would like to lower my action slightly but i dont want the intonation to go out which would most likely happen if i shave away the saddle.
and also i dont want the strings to buzz when i tune lower.

it wouldn't mess up the intonation if you shaved a little bit off your saddle, as long as you keep the bottom on the same plane that it is on now. i suppose if you want to tune really low like that then you are going to have to keep pretty high action. i thought you were tuning that low because you had to in order to play more easily. lowering the action would be a better fix for this problem than tuning down two full steps unless your voice is that deep.
Standard, open G or DADGAD. It's about 90% standard and then the others are just used for messing around or playing certain songs.
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Define right.

Anyways, Open C at the moment (CGCGCE) because I've been playing a lot of John Butler songs.

When I said 'right' I just used it as a broad term to describe a great tone, can create any feeling, any mood etc etc.

I have experimented, I just don't like doing it. I jump from song to song and you can't do that in really far out tunings. Don't want to sit there twisting tuners for 5 minutes at a time. Plus as I've said before I don't really like any other tunings. Except drop D, purely because it gives you a slightly more expansive bass.
Half step down, but I'll also drop that down to Db for some seether tunes.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Define right.

John Butler is awesome, man
It's like a crossbreed of J.Cash, McKee and RHCP o_O

I tend to use standard usually, but of course drop D whenever it's needed.

Also sometimes I like to tune a half/full step down, just for variety.