I have a floyd rose on my guitar. Strign gauge is 9's. Its in Standard E-A-D-G-B-E. I want to go into Drop D. Thats it. No lower. Will this cause any problems with my floyd rose?
I will be alternating between Standard and Drop D.
Yes. You will need to loosen the springs in the back of the guitar a litle bit. Dont be afraid! You can do it!
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
There is an accesory you can buy to attach to a Floyd Rose. Its a Drop-D instant tuning system that attaches to the fine tuner of the e string somehow allowing it to drop to D with a click. Im not sure how it works... but I heard its really innovative and works well. Also, get at least 10 gauge strings for Drop D tuning. Itll make it sound better, with less buzzing etc.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
^ahh yes the EVH D-tuna
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
what will happen if i dont ajust the springs? I really dont like touching that stuff. Should I get the "EVH D-tuna" lol?
Quote by KurtCobain9898
what will happen if i dont ajust the springs? I really dont like touching that stuff. Should I get the "EVH D-tuna" lol?

everytime you do a bar dive your springs wont return your bridge to the original position and you'll be out of tune
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I see...well I really regret buying my Guitar with the Floyd Rose. I never use it. Is there some way to "replace" it to a FIXED bridge? Or LOCK the Floyd Rose so it does not move at all?
you can take your guitar in and they'll "block" it so it wont move, or you can buy something like a http://www.tremol-no.com/

when you do this you wont be able to move the trem (in essence it'll become a hardtail) and you can remove the locking nut to use the regular machinehead tuners. keep in mind to that when you block the trem usually the guitar has some more sustain due to the tremolo block being able to transfer string vibrations thru the wood of the guitar easier, but you can't use the trem at all
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Nov 9, 2007,
Yes you can get it blocked at a guitar store. They stick a piece of wood so you can't pull up, but you can still dive bomb down. You will still have to tune like you would with a floyd rose though.
Cool. Well I liek to go into Drop D for like Metalcore/Hardcore stuff. So i would put a block of wood in the cavity....is that under the "fine tunners/forks"?
Quote by KurtCobain9898
Cool. Well I liek to go into Drop D for like Metalcore/Hardcore stuff. So i would put a block of wood in the cavity....is that under the "fine tunners/forks"?

i would consider taking it in to a shop where they know what they're doing...it'll save you some trouble, and they'll answer any questions you have
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Ok. Will it be expencieve? What about the tremol-no? Will it let me tune to dropD without going out of tune?
check the link in my third post
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Shut the **** up everyone. Stop feeding this guy UG bandwagoned ****e that UG has made up because "Oh no a tremolo guitar can't take slight nudges in tuning". I go from Standard and drop D every so often, just unlock the nut and changes the tuning and re-lock, as long as you don't go to D standard or lower or an open tuning (though some may work I dunno) then you won't need to re-adjust cos one string a step looser doesnt do anythign to your trem.
Seriously, dude, going to drop D won't harm your guitar. As long as you stay in standard and drop D you'll be fine.

Its a big speculation that trems are really hard to maintain but they aren't they're simple. I find changing strings on my Ibanez easier than I did my old hardtail Dean V.

You'll be fine.
yea, lookin to buy a guitar with floyd rose on it...people make it sound harder to work on then a human brain...buuuut i still want one, so ill prolly get it anyhow, lol...ima pay someone at my local guitar store a lesson price to give me a half hr run down of how to mess with the trem...and not mess it up, be a lot easier then tryin to read 8 bazillion tutorials, some of which may be from people who really have no idea what theyre talkin about.
Last edited by shinedown98 at Nov 9, 2007,
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Shut the **** up everyone. Stop feeding this guy UG bandwagoned ****e that UG has made up because "Oh no a tremolo guitar can't take slight nudges in tuning". I go from Standard and drop D every so often, just unlock the nut and changes the tuning and re-lock, as long as you don't go to D standard or lower or an open tuning (though some may work I dunno) then you won't need to re-adjust cos one string a step looser doesnt do anythign to your trem.

every so often is the key words...do it a few times a day and you'll be setting up your floyd every week.
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
One time I was at a guys house, he loved my guitar, he wouldnt put it down he was raping the tunings, he put the E string down to A for some reason, left the others the same but put that one to A and it's fine every time he plays it he changes it every othe rminute and nothin.

But even so if you do plan on changing tunings a lot, do it sparingly.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Seriously, dude, going to drop D won't harm your guitar. As long as you stay in standard and drop D you'll be fine.

Its a big speculation that trems are really hard to maintain but they aren't they're simple. I find changing strings on my Ibanez easier than I did my old hardtail Dean V.

You'll be fine.

to someone experianced yes....to someone who can't spell "tuners" no (no offense TS)
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
I wouldnt call myself experianced exactly

Though I have to say, most people would blame the fact my trem is flawless, to the fact it's a ZR tremolo, that thing's a miracle worker I tell ye.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I wouldnt call myself experianced exactly

Though I have to say, most people would blame the fact my trem is flawless, to the fact it's a ZR tremolo, that thing's a miracle worker I tell ye.

question to the ts...what kind of guitar is it??

not everyone has a decent trem, so how bout u shutup instead
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Well I have an Ibanes RG350EX. I think the Trem is called Edge 3. mgiht be Edge 2. Not sure. Anyways, how often should I change tunnings? 1 every month or week?
Last edited by KurtCobain9898 at Nov 9, 2007,
Oh, now, my opinion has totally changed.

I'd just block it, I know I was very against all that a minute ago but it's in your best interest make it obsolete, make it fixed before it's too late, my friend has a guitar with an Edge III and its had many many repairs and it was bought in december time so I'd sort that out now.

And I never actually saw my trem as decent just as a trem that got me through
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Oh, now, my opinion has totally changed.

I'd just block it, I know I was very against all that a minute ago but it's in your best interest make it obsolete, make it fixed before it's too late, my friend has a guitar with an Edge III and its had many many repairs and it was bought in december time so I'd sort that out now.

And I never actually saw my trem as decent just as a trem that got me through

I actually find that the Edge 3 sucking is a piece -of-"UG Bandwagoned ****". I'm not saying I like it a lot, But it does stay in tune when I wail on it for a long ass time.

And TS, in a thread full of people saying one thing, never listen to someone who waltzs in, and rants about everyone else being wrong but him.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
I first thought the edge III wouldnt be so bad and that UG were just bandwagonning it, like with Squier, but I then tried it and damn is it terrible to play, not only that, there is no end of trouble my friend's had with it.

And it's not like I'm making these facts up, everyone I know who has a floyd rose doesn't even know they have to be set-up for lower tunings, they still all go to drop D (even on that egde III yes) so why not listen to me? Most of UG are powered by the wagon of the band, I'm not, usually the guy with real life facts are right.
Ok. For my trems, I set it up when I tune so that I can use the fine tuners to go from standard to drop d. I switch very often. So far it has shown no negative impact on a trem. It also stays in tune well, whichever one it's in. After about a few weeks to a month I'll notice that it is just a little bit flat of where it should be. Then I change the strings and retune. Also, for any string gauge or tuning changes greter than a whole step on one string, I adjust the spring tension to level it out.
Quote by shredhead22
to someone experianced yes....to someone who can't spell "tuners" no (no offense TS)

'experianced'?

talk about the pot calling the kettle black. no offense of course
Quote by DSOTM80
'experianced'?

talk about the pot calling the kettle black. no offense of course

haven't you learned to disregard hypocrisy on this forum yet?
Quote by pedaler466

Quote by Yngwi3

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I first thought the edge III wouldnt be so bad and that UG were just bandwagonning it, like with Squier, but I then tried it and damn is it terrible to play, not only that, there is no end of trouble my friend's had with it.

And it's not like I'm making these facts up, everyone I know who has a floyd rose doesn't even know they have to be set-up for lower tunings, they still all go to drop D (even on that egde III yes) so why not listen to me? Most of UG are powered by the wagon of the band, I'm not, usually the guy with real life facts are right.

Don't forget that you have the ZR - it has the Zero Point system that allows you to alter the minimum force required to move the trem. That means you can set it so that it won't be affected by minor tuning changes, all the way up to being able to cope with a broken string.

A traditional Floyd-type trem doesn't have that and as a result the slightest tuning change on one string will send everything else out of tune. It doesn't "wreck the trem", it's just an absolute ballache and not worth the effort.

If you want to change tunings the best thing to do is block the trem.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com