Im a shredder/blues player/rocknroll guy

ive been playing for 4 years and 2 months

im 17 years old and i applied to a place called Humberg College, which is a music school that takes you up to a university level

now on the site it mentioned that atleast 3 times the amount of guitar players theyre even ABLE to take in have applied

my audition is in February, by February im going to have to be able to kick the **** out of 2 thirds of those guys.

its a Jazz school by the way.

Does anyone here go to places like these ? any advice ? im totally stressed out for this, if I dont make it in this year though, Ill need to wait 2 years later to apply again
All I can say is good luck, really.

But what about G.I.T.? I hear they have teachers for every style of music, but then again, I haven't researched them much, soooo....

I'm not sure.
Just practice like f uck.
Take some lessons on jazz before hand.. learn some jazz chords and such
RX Queen
Where is it?

I know here in Ontario, near Toronto, there's a jazz college called "Humber College" which has produced some of the best Canadian players in the business...

I may go there if I decide to pursue jazz, post-university.
Quote by millerdrr
you caught me making a mistake on extremely basic theory, WHILE making a mistake regarding corporate philosophy. you earned the bag, and you single-handedly force me to retract all of my "Canada Blows" propaganda. you>me
Quote by bananacrumpcake
Where is it?

I know here in Ontario, near Toronto, there's a jazz college called "Humber College" which has produced some of the best Canadian players in the business...

I may go there if I decide to pursue jazz, post-university.

woops, typo, yeah thats it HUMBER college
Quote by Rising
woops, typo, yeah thats it HUMBER college

Well then, best of luck getting in. At one point I studied for a week with the head of the guitar department there, Ted Quinlan. Great guy, amazing jazz guitarist, excellent teacher.

If you do get in you'll learn a lot for sure, the teaching staff is absolutely top-notch, made up of the top players in the area.
Quote by millerdrr
you caught me making a mistake on extremely basic theory, WHILE making a mistake regarding corporate philosophy. you earned the bag, and you single-handedly force me to retract all of my "Canada Blows" propaganda. you>me
its a tough choice between this and GIT.

humber will teach advanced theory inside and out

GIT is ****loads of shred tech. which is tempting, but GIT is ****in far. And i think the jazz will take me further in life.
What's GIT?

Humber is only really if you want to be a professional session/gigging musician.
However, apparently the connections you make there are gold. I just saw a great funk/latin band called Manteca who have been touring for 20-something years, and have like 9 albums, all from the Southern Ontario/GTA area, and many of the nine players in that band met each other at Humber.
Quote by millerdrr
GIT i believe is located in california, its a music institution for thelikes of great musicians like Paul Gilbert, Tony Macalpine, and other shredders as such, i think ritchie kotzen went there too
You've got enough time to practice the hell out of something you really like. Get a teacher to teach you jazz methods if you're really serious about getting in.
I actually go to Humber College, the north campus. Taking Marketing there, in year 1 atm
It's a tough school to get into, but it's a great school for music.

Just practice lots, man. If you don't make it all you can do is try again.

Actually, some of the professors give out private lessons. I took private lessons from one of the profs. Go check out the campus and see what information you can get, maybe even start lessons with a prof there to help you get in.
Where is Humberg? Are you sure you don't mean Humber? I think you got us Ontario fags confused.