I've been playing for about two years. I can play songs like the intro to Stairway to Heaven, Electric Eye by Judas Priest, and Achilles Last Stand, and a whole ****load of songs like that.

However, I feel like I'm in a bit of a rut.

Im always playing the same songs. I tried using Dimebag Darrel's famous advise of quitting the stuff I am currently playing, and learn new stuff.

The problem is, I have no idea what to learn.

I listen to bands like Kings of Leon, Dennis Brown, Living Things, The Aggrolites, Band of Horses, Wolfmother, Judas Priest, Cage, The Derek Trucks Band, Priestess, Simon &; Garfunkel, Fiery Furnaces, Radiohead, Lotus, Rusted Root, Tea Leaf Green, Octopus Project, Widespread Panic, The Marshall Tucker Band, Dire Straits, Phish, Golden Earring, The Abyssinians, Meat Puppets, The Samples, Serj Tankian, Cat Stevens, Rush, Foghat, Van Halen, Megadeth, Jaco Pastorius, Joe Walsh, Cake, Foghat, Iron Butterfly, Pink Floyd, Procol Harum, Nazareth, Blues Traveler, Iron Maiden, Anthrax, The Band, The Riders of the Purple Sage, Little Feat, Emerson, Lake &; Palmer, Keller Williams, The Jefferson Airplane, Rainbow, Danzig, Burning Brides, Crosby, Stills and Nash, The Mars Volta, The Shins, U2, Primus, Dinosaur Jr, Kiss, Testament, Spin Doctor, Exodus, The Misfits, The Georgia Satellites, Steppenwolf, Buffalo Springfield, Sea Wolf, Black Label Society, Ted Nugent, Velvet Revolver, Social Distortion, Disco Biscuits, Country Joe &; the Fish, The Electric Prunes, Jethro Tull, The Strokes, Caribou, Warbringer, Derek Trucks, The Allman Brothers Band, DragonForce, Traffc, The Black Keys, Slayer, Children of Bodom, Ravi Shankar, Pearl Jam, The Vines, Donovan, Wolf Parade, The Lovin' Spoonful, Pantera, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac, Metallica, John Lennon, The Mamas &; The Papas, The Seeds, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Johnny Cash, Cream, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Howlin' Wolf, The Doors, Santana, Cream, The Yardbirds, The Children of Bodom, David Bowie, The Police, Jeff Beck, Joni Mitchell, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Janis Joplin, Guns n'Roses, The Byrds, Norman Greenbaum, Grank Funk Railroad, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bob Dylan, Race Against the Machine, The Strokes, Grateful Dead, Bob Marley, Frank Zappa, Peter Tosh, Warren Zevon, Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, The Kinks, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, The Mountain Goats, John Mayer, Joe Cocker, The Jesus Lizard, The Ramones, Tom Petty, The Who, Tenacious D, Joe Cocker, The String Cheese Incident, Ronnie James Dio, Interpol, Mastodon, Buckethead, Muse, Soundgarden, Aerosmith, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Iron &; Wine, Sublime, The Stooges, Spoon, Tool, TV On the Radio, The Decemberists, The Jesus &; Mary Chain, Animal Collective, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Dethklok, Devendra Banheart, and Neil Young.

Does anyone have any songs to suggest?
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
Thunder horse by dethklok.

that song is so ****ing fun to play
I make house muuuusic!
www.soundcloud.com/sean-garfola

My Gear:
Schecter Tempest custom
Pro Co Rat Duecetone Distortion
Boss Space Echo
Boss Super Chorus
Line 6 Verbzilla
Digitech Jam-man
Peavey ValveKing 212
Ok, thanks. I'll get the tab.
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
How long did it take you to make that list?
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Actually, I just copied it from my MySpace page, lol.

Any more suggestions?
Quote by Allahblues
Try some Steve Vai or Marty Friedman - both are well known for using exotic phrasing and technique, and Marty's a monster when it comes to just whacked out phrasing, with stuff like pre-bends and slides all over the place.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Thanks, but I'm not quite good enough to play Steve Vai riffs.

Would the Lemon Song be a good one to learn?
Quote by Allahblues
Last edited by ElectricMammal at Nov 9, 2007,
Canon Rock is pretty fun. A lot of people say you would need around 4 years of experience for that song, but it's relatively easy except for the sweep picking.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Learn the solo to Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle, by Dethklok. They even made a lesson for it for Guitar World, and it's on youtube. It's got some sweeping, and some alternate picking, but it's not overly quick. It'll take some practice, but you should be able to get it fairly easily. It's what I'm working on now.
Just go and learn songs you like, even if it's easy it might teach you something, and if it's hard atleast you had a go. Some Rage Against The Machine songs are good for getting riffs going (Bombtrack, Tom Joad), some Bob Dylan is good for rhythm playing and finger picking (Girl From The North Country). The question is what do you want to learn?
learn all of stairway to heaven. you can do everything except the solo, which has this part in the middle like this

---------------------------------------------------------e
--13-15b17b15p13-----13-15b17b15p13-------b
-------------------------12-----------------------12---g
---------------------------------------------------------d
---------------------------------------------------------a
---------------------------------------------------------E

which is at a tempo so fast it blurs jimmy's fingers, so humans like me and you cannot do it so easily.
except for that, you should be able to do all the song, esp. the fingerpicked everything, as long as your fingerpicking is sound.
Quote by ukdudeinuk
Learn the solo to Duncan Hills Coffee Jingle, by Dethklok. They even made a lesson for it for Guitar World, and it's on youtube. It's got some sweeping, and some alternate picking, but it's not overly quick. It'll take some practice, but you should be able to get it fairly easily. It's what I'm working on now.

That would be a good one.