Okay so smoke came out of my Fender Blue Jr I just got, what could cause this?

I unplugged it and it's sitting in my room. I want to play right now, should I let it sit for longer or anything?

I just got it today off of Ebay, I'm disappointed

I didn't even have it on too long, I let it warm up and everything and was playing for about a half hour before.
Last edited by Spalmer2 at Nov 9, 2007,
Does it still turn on? Does any sound come out? Look around back and check the tubes, ke sure nothing is touching them. Reply back.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Does it still turn on? Does any sound come out? Look around back and check the tubes, ke sure nothing is touching them. Reply back.

Nothing is touching the tubes as far as I can tell. The only thing I can think of is that it was too close to the wall, and it got too hot? I heard a sound like something bursting or popping before hand.

I will let it cool off for a bit and try turning it on again I guess and tell you.
I'm guessing that a filter capacitor blew... you'll need to find the one that blew (i'll look... blown-up like...) and replace it with one with the same specifications, although using one with a higher voltage won't hurt. Search Google for more information.
Quote by TastyMooglePie
Rape everyone involved: the girlfriend, the mom, the dad, and throw in the dog for good measure.

Quote by Prankster1990
NoFX_Fan182 is awesome mkay. He just rocks my socks
You really need to be more specific. Did the amp shut off or stop making any sound when it started smoking, and how much smoke are we talking?
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
****, it doesn't turn on. This is bull****. How much is a filter capacitor? It has to be something in the power system because it doesn't turn on at all.

Is this something the amp seller should have let me know about? He claimed it was lightly used.

Also, I was not playing anything when it made the "pop" so I don't know if it stopped making any sound. It was a light, small cloud. Now the room reeks of electricity smoke.

This sucks
Thats a major drag man. There is a posibility of it being something as simple as a blown fuse, but I haven't ever seen a blown fuse smoke. If you feel confident and have some experience with electronics, take the back off the amp and look for burn/black marks on the PCB but DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!! It's not hard at all to take the back cover off, just some screws, if you can take a pic and post it on here if you find a burn mark, I'll tell you what part it is.

Yes, Email the seller and tell him what happened, if you don't figure it out, take it to a shop and see whats wrong and deal with it accordingly. If its a big deal then make him pay for repairs or just send it back and get a refund.
Quote by R_H_C_P

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Were you playing the amp at extreme levels? Like all the way up? Although that still wouldnt hurt it. Sounds to me you might have gotten scammed man. A "lightly used" amp wouldnt just go POP and fry like that. The guy definitely lied his ass off if he said it was in working condition.
Quote by Spalmer2
Okay so smoke came out of my Fender Blue Jr I just got, what could cause this?

I unplugged it and it's sitting in my room. I want to play right now, should I let it sit for longer or anything?

I just got it today off of Ebay, I'm disappointed

I didn't even have it on too long, I let it warm up and everything and was playing for about a half hour before.

I would go after the guy on ebay if he said it was in working condition.
Get your money back.

the seller may cover a repair cost if he knows about your problem.
contact the seller and if he does not do anything for you, contact ebay.

when letting an amp warm up and not playing it nothing should happen.
sounds like something blew up and so i suggest bringing it to a shop to find out exactly what is wrong.

slightly used is like a brand new amp and its quite obvious that this not not a like new amp...
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 9, 2007,
I sent this:

Hey, the amp made a popping noise and a light cloud of smoke came out of it. The amp felt very warm and now does not turn on. I unplugged it and was wondering what you think the problem might be? I am not accusing you of anything, but I am very frustrated, it played nicely for the few hours it worked. Let me know.

Thanks
-----
Quote by NoFX_Fan182
I'm guessing that a filter capacitor blew... you'll need to find the one that blew (i'll look... blown-up like...) and replace it with one with the same specifications, although using one with a higher voltage won't hurt. Search Google for more information.

+1. That would explain the smoke, popping noise, and it not turning on. Some good info on them and how to fix it can be found here. Go to Guitar Amps and Replacing a Blown Filter Cap. That said, I would get ti looked at and talk to the seller. However, don't get pissed if he doesn't refund it or pay to get it fixed. You can't tell when one is going to blow really. If he's a super class act, he'll pay for the repair, but I doubt it because its not something you can really predict, and thus he's not liable for it.
Quote by Spalmer2
I sent this:

Hey, the amp made a popping noise and a light cloud of smoke came out of it. The amp felt very warm and now does not turn on. I unplugged it and was wondering what you think the problem might be? I am not accusing you of anything, but I am very frustrated, it played nicely for the few hours it worked. Let me know.

Thanks
-----

sounds like a good start.
don't start an argument with him...just reason with him and try to get him to pay for a repair or refund.

a pop sound normally means a cap blew up and you will clearly see it like the top will be off and the cap top will be bent out of shape.
depending on the rating it could be either a $10 or $40 part...but ive never used such large caps in my electrical work so i dont really know of the price until i know what the part is that broke.
Last edited by moody07747 at Nov 9, 2007,
If it's 10-40 bucks like you say I guess I don't mind paying for it, but it is very frustrating to happen on the day I get it.

Would it be the sort of thing that I could just stop by the music store and they could fix it? Or is it the sort of deal where I will have to drop it off for an extended period of time? I go to college where there are no music stores and can't be driving back and forth into town to do this