Aare there any effect pedals every bassist should have? All I have is a Boss DS-1, but thats for guitar
Quote by JDD331
A juggalo? Pokedex that ****.....what are they? like clowns...wannabes?

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Boss ODB-3 or if you've got cash a Sans Amp Bass Driver
(I've got the Boss)
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
If you don't know what you want, you don't need it.

Don't get pedals because you can. Get them if you have an application for them in music.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by zero_123
Aare there any effect pedals every bassist should have? All I have is a Boss DS-1, but thats for guitar

Bass pedals.

Some bassists get by without bass pedals. Good for them. Buy what you need.

Compression is always good. As is an EQ pedal.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
Bass pedals.

Some bassists get by without bass pedals. Good for them. Buy what you need.

Compression is always good. As is an EQ pedal.

Compression does what?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
For once tonight I agree with Jack. If you don't know what you want, you don't need it.

Except for a Fulltone Bass Drive - everyone wants AND needs that.

But seriously, jazzy's right. I might be the only guy to recommend this, but you should pick up a crappy multifx pedal like a Zoom, Digitech, Boss, etc, and tinker with all the effects and presets. You'll then begin to notice what effects you like what what effects you don't. From there, you can start singling out pedals you want.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by zero_123
Compression does what?

Compression effectively reduces dynamics. For those of us idiots out there, it'll make loud notes softer and soft notes louder to to smooth out your volume level.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Tuner pedal, wah-wah or auto-wah, some sort of OD or distortion, and a D.I. box. The Sansamp Bass Driver and the MXR M80 are distortion and D.I. boxes so one of them would be a good investment.

Edit: I like what thefitz said. If you're not sure what you like, a multi-fx pedal would be good to play around with.
Quote by thefitz

But seriously, jazzy's right. I might be the only guy to recommend this, but you should pick up a crappy multifx pedal like a Zoom, Digitech, Boss, etc, and tinker with all the effects and presets. You'll then begin to notice what effects you like what what effects you don't. From there, you can start singling out pedals you want.

Is a Zoom B-1 multi-effect pedal any good? I'll probably try some pedals next time I go to SamAsh.
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Quote by zero_123
Is a Zoom B-1 multi-effect pedal any good? I'll probably try some pedals next time I go to SamAsh.

I've got the guitar version of it with the Expression Pedal, the B2.1U, and by all accounts, it's not a half bad pedal at all for guitar.

For a multi-effect, and a lost costing one at that, it's not too bad at all.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

OK, its in my price range, and it apparently has a compressor/limiter on it, so I guess I'll try it out.....Is a limiter the same thing as a compressor?
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
Yeah, I think so. Sounds pretty good.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Also, try out some wah pedals. I like dunlops myself, but I'd make sure you get the white one. Avoid the black ones, if possible.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
BBE Sonic Stomp (or its bigger non-pedal cousin the Sonic Maximizer) are a must, from what I've heard. I might be buying one soon.
Quote by gm jack
If you don't know what you want, you don't need it.

That's true, but some pedals that are handy to have are things like a Tu-2 and maybe some sort of DI box, I always take my Tu-2 and my Dunlop M-80 bass driver/DI to gigs with me, and I always use them. I do have alot other pedals, but they don't come out as much.

In short, if you feel you need one, get a SansAmp or MXR M-80
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Sorry for asking such a noobish question, but where does an effects pedal plug into, the bass or the amp.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by thefitz

Fitzy, can you post soundclips of that Fulltone for me? I'm looking to get an entire new pedal board and I'm considering ordering a Fulltone but sadly, none of my local guitar shops stock it. I'd have to order online, and I'd like to know what I'm getting before that.

On topic...uh...I agree with Jazzy and Jack!
Quote by mr freezy
Sorry for asking such a noobish question, but where does an effects pedal plug into, the bass or the amp.

Well, if your amp has an effects loop, it will go into there.

If not, run it so you go Bass---pedal----amp.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Well, if your amp has an effects loop, it will go into there.

If not, run it so you go Bass---pedal----amp.

Actually, it depends if the effect is pre or post EQ. If the effect is pre EQ, it goes from your bass to your preamp. If it is post EQ, it goes between the preamp and the power amp (in the effects loop).

Where you put a pedal, and thier order has a massive effect on the overall sound. An easy way to put it is if you distort the wah or put wah on the distortion. It may sound stupid, but there are some basic rules to ordering your pedals, and then experiment from there.

EDIT

And Fitzy, as everyone wants a Fulltone, then my statement still stands true.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Actually, it depends if the effect is pre or post EQ. If the effect is pre EQ, it goes from your bass to your preamp. If it is post EQ, it goes between the preamp and the power amp (in the effects loop).

Where you put a pedal, and thier order has a massive effect on the overall sound. An easy way to put it is if you distort the wah or put wah on the distortion. It may sound stupid, but there are some basic rules to ordering your pedals, and then experiment from there.

Yes, but some amps don't have an effects loop. And not everyone follows the basic rules to ordering pedals, because they prefer a certain sound. A person should be allowed to choose where they put their pedals.
In the bass chat:

And now on BANDCAMP!

Quote by Nutter_101
Yes, but some amps don't have an effects loop. And not everyone follows the basic rules to ordering pedals, because they prefer a certain sound. A person should be allowed to choose where they put their pedals.

Notice how I said then experiement. There are of course no hard fast rules, but the 'standard' layout has been used for years with sucess. It allows the pedals to work together in a way so as to minimise noise and to allow the effects to combine in a more natural and tone friendly way.

Of course, feel free to put them where the hell you want, but a bit of research should give a good base layout to work with.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by zero_123

Digitech Bass Whammy
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss DD-5 Delay
Guyatone VTX tube tremelo
Fulltone Bass Driver
a compressor
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
Digitech Bass Whammy
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss DD-5 Delay
Fulltone Bass Driver
a compressor

Why so many specific pedals, and I'd say at the most two of the above are the best of their kind (Fulltone and possibly the whammy, though I'm no expert on whammys).

I still stick by my original statement, if you don;t know you want a pedal, you don't need it. Of course, we can recommend different brands and styles of pedals to pick out the best of each kind, but there is really no need for pedals at all for bass. I'm a bit of an effect junkie (but then, I GAS for everything bass related), but when I play, I rarely feel the need to use effects all the time (hence my currently small collection).

If he's asking what pedals should I get, with no clue as to a sound he wants, there is no need to ask. If you come in saying I'm looking for a fuzzpedal, money is no object, we can point him in the direction of the Wooly Mammoth, so on and so forth.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by 14shadesofblue
Digitech Bass Whammy
Boss BF-2 Flanger
Boss DD-5 Delay
Fulltone Bass Driver
a compressor

I noticed that 5 of those pedals are from Justin Chancellor's pedalboard.
Quote by sammcl-15
That's true, but some pedals that are handy to have are things like a Tu-2 and maybe some sort of DI box

surely if you don't know what a DI does, you wouldn't ever use it.

same with a tuner. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Is the Boss TU-2 tuner even worth the $100? I mean it's a lot more convenient to be able to tune without unplugging and ****, but that's expensive for a tuner...
Quote by Nutter_101

I only have a crappy 15 wat practice amp so it dosen't have an effects loop.

So basicly what your saying is it goes
Bass - Pedal - Amp.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
Quote by mr freezy
I only have a crappy 15 wat practice amp so it dosen't have an effects loop.

So basicly what your saying is it goes
Bass - Pedal - Amp.

Yep. What we were discussing was the ordring of different effects.

And TBH, if you have a crap amp, the difference of pre/post EQ for the pedals that need it will hardly be noticable.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
To bring this thread back up, I would have to say that an amazing pedal that everyone should have is a chorus. A decent one gives a totally new tone to your sound. Also a compressor is great.

But the real reason I posted was to ask, those of you who have a bass wah pedal, is it really worth it? Do you get a lot of use out of it? I'd really like one but I feel like I'd just be wasting my money. I'm not the type of bassist to do a lot of solos, so could I apply it well in the background?
Quote by zero_123
Would this- http://www.music123.com/Gallien-Krueger-Backline-110-Combo-482538-i1145823.Music123
be considered a good amp? btw I got the multi-effect pedal i posted the other day.
What does a chorus pedal do?

Firstly, wtf is that about the amp?

Sencondly, chorus pedals make it sound like there are many people playing the same thing.It makes your sound alot richer and fuller. You need to hear one to fully understand.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Firstly, wtf is that about the amp?

Sencondly, chorus pedals make it sound like there are many people playing the same thing.It makes your sound alot richer and fuller. You need to hear one to fully understand.

If you go to Digitech's website, they have demos of different settings of all of their individual bass pedals (including chorus) that are really interesting and helpful.
Quote by MustangMan311
If you go to Digitech's website, they have demos of different settings of all of their individual bass pedals (including chorus) that are really interesting and helpful.

I can't find the chorus pedal for bass
Quote by JDD331

B-52 AT212
MXR-101 Phase 90
DeltaLab DD-1 Delay
I use a Boss CEB-3 Chorus pedal. Like they said before, it gives you a much fuller sound, because it slightly delays it, making it sound like several people are playing the same thing. The nice thing about the Boss pedal, and I don't know if this is common or not, is that it can filter out the low tones so that your sound doesn't get muddied up. They give you a great punch in solos or choruses.