I've really gotten into Mudhoney and Pearl Jam (and I've always been into Nirvana) and I was wondering what is the main effect pedal that gives them that dirty, grunge sound because I'd like to get it.
"Whenever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Whenever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there . ."
The Grapes of Wrath

RIP Ingmar Bergman
Digitech makes one called the Grunge Distortion, and it sounds pretty good for Nirvana stuff, but I don't know wat Kurt actually used.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
yea... id say a pedal called "grunge" would give a grunge sound...
Quote by Rockford_rocks
HENDRIX WAS NOT MEANT TO GO WOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLYWOOBLY!

Big-muff or a BOSS DS-1. Besides, "grunge" isnt a particular sound...it was more of an anti-good-tone sound to me lol. Obviously they werent concerned with what they sounded like...give any of those guys ANY amp or pedal and theyd use it.

Basically anything with distortion will work.
For Nirvana sound, DS-1 or DS-2 and a small clone. Mike's rig in Pearl Jam is a lot more complicated, but make sure to use a strat.
A wise man is not wise because of his wiseness, but because of his manness.

Quote by floppypick
Penis.. do digimon have them?
The Grunge pedal is butt.

If you want a pedal, go for a Ds-1 or Bigg Muff (I use both at the same time), They can give you a really muddy sound.
I was thinking about a Big Muff, but are the DS kind better?
"Whenever they's a fight so hungry people can eat, I'll be there. Whenever they's a cop beatin' up a guy, I'll be there . ."
The Grapes of Wrath

RIP Ingmar Bergman
I'd say get a Digitech Bad Monkey and mess around with EQ/tone for the sound you;re looking for. I'd also recommend getting into Soundgarden/Temple Of The Dog for grungey goodness.
i liked my digitech grunge when i had it. but its preference i guess. more good grungey bands are stone temple pilots, mother love bone, the melvins, screaming trees, alice in chains, green river, and tad.
Member #2 of the Mike Patton Worshippers club p.m. lalalama 2 to join

listen to metal.
I have a STP album, but I've never heard the Melvins
The Grapes of Wrath

RIP Ingmar Bergman
Quote by real6
I have a STP album, but I've never heard the Melvins

STP isn't grunge, but they're still good.

And whoever said that Grungers don't care about tone, My Pearl Jam album, and Alice In Chains albums beg to differ. Infact, Kurt had a pretty fancy rig too, and was very particular when it came to his guitars.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
dont get the grunge its ****en heavy it does metal and not grunge. get a Boss Japan Ds-1or2, EHX Big Muff. Pro Co Rat
Fender Strat 60th Anniv HotRoded
others

Marshall 1980 JMP 2203
Marshall JCM900 1960A Cab
Valve Jr.

VOX v847a Modded
EHX Small Clone Modded
Maxon OD-820
MXR 1978 Flanger
Digitech Whammy
TC Polytune
Custom LPB-1 Boost
no with metal muff and rat you get 90% metal so i would suggest the bad monkey
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
For bleach and most of nevermind Kurt used a vox AC15 and that was pretty much it. He had a few FX here and there but not many. His more complex rigs came after he got the money from nevermind's success. So I say screw the pedals. Get yourself an AC15.
Not taking any online orders.
Proco Rat.
Most of the time when pedals have Grunge, Metal or Boss ( ) in the name they tend to make crap distortion.
I've heard the Rat 2s are really lacking in comparison to the old ones though..
I have a Epi Les Paul Special II and a Fender Amp 15 (it's a bedroom amp and I don't have the money to upgrade )
The Grapes of Wrath

RIP Ingmar Bergman
Quote by dickeskind
no with metal muff and rat you get 90% metal so i would suggest the bad monkey

I think everyone said the BIG muff
A boss DS1 cranked through a marshall.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Yea, the Digitech Grunge pedal has the word grunge in the name, but I wouldn't recommend it. Everyone seems to have mentioned what I would recommend:

EHX Big Muff
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
ProCo Rat