Page 1 of 3
ive played in 3 -core bands. you put whatever word you want before core and you got us lol... but what i noticed in the metal world is that every band has some kind of alternate tuning. one of my bands has been in dropped d, another in dropped c, and we considered going lower but my guitarists floating bridge wouldn't cut it.
all of this craziness leads me to my question:
WHATS YOUR TUNING?
Anything from E standard to C standard, really.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
i dont go any lower than a Drop -D on my bass, everything else sounds like crap.
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
the lowest ive played mine was an octave down in tuning and then i used a whammy pedal to go down 2 more octaves and it was almost outside the reange of human hearing but i was just dicking around
D standard... Drop C.. You dont need to go lower to play "metal". If you know what you are doing you can play metal in E standard.
just good ol drop D
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
drop F, yeah. you heard me.

nah, drop C because i'm into alot of modern metal bands.
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
i managed to get my friends ltd sg to dropped A# with a good amount of tensiion on the strings. enough to play almost anything. (i know this is my own thread. i just dropped the guitar like 2 minutes ago. its SICK!)
Quote by rrhoads47
im usually in standard cause i play lots of 80's metal like metallica and what not

+1

Edit: Also, I don't only play metal, so downtuning impedes everything else I play. Eb is alright, though. I could play a couple things in it, but I still like my good ol' E standard
I go as low as Ab, but my prefered tuning is drop-D, down one half step C#.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Drop R, or sometimes drop Q.

AMIRITE?
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Quote by rrhoads47
im usually in standard cause i play lots of 80's metal like metallica and what not

+2
Quote by MurderWorship
Drop R, or sometimes drop Q.

AMIRITE?

O YER! DROPZORZ Q IS TeH SExxXXOrZZzzzz!!

Seriously, our band writes songs in either Standard E or Drop D (about an even distribution) and we have one song in C# standard because it is really beefy for thie particualr song. *I really only tune to Drop D so I am able to access diminished and augmented chords I couldn't normally reach, not to rape that bottom D string.

If we play a song that is below D, Like Happy? by Mudvayne or whatever, we just play it in Drop D. It sounds just as good and not as muddy.

Admittedly, Karnivool, an Aussie hard rock band are very creative with Drop B but I prefer Standard so much more.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
7 Strings
GDADGBd
GDADGBe
GEADGBe
DEADGBd
EEADGBd
AEADGBe
BEADGBe

6 Strings
Standard
Drop D
Standard Half Step Down
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
ive gone down to B once but im usually in drop D. sumtimes ill play in C for atreyu and bullet for my valetine... but thats it
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Last edited by seizetheday1103 at Nov 9, 2007,
I've actually been playing in standard. Sorry. Though I like to play in Drop C.
Quote by redneckrebel
Wow...just wow

A clapstack? My life is complete.
i like drop b, but i haven't used it for a while. i'm in drop c# right now, i think that's my overall favorite.
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
I play almost exclusively in drop C.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Drop C.. Anything lower doesn't sound that good to me..
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
Drop C.. Anything lower doesn't sound that good to me..

I used to think that, then I found Meshuggah...
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I prefer C# and Drop B (C# in dropped tuning), but I've dropped down to straight C, and the lowest I ever tuned was Drop A when I played some Damageplan. I haven't been ballsy enough to drop down to standard A because even with 50 gauge strings, it's too thin to keep from flapping around. But, if I ever should happen to buy some 52's/56's/60's, I'll probably tune down to F just to see how low of a sound I can get from my guitar for fun.
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
F#,B,E,A,D,G,B,E
down 1 and 1/2 steps
pretty good string tension, but it was kind of worthless.
Quote by Shuk
Sometimes there's a point where you have to switch to a bass.

Agreed. Lower is not always heavier. Look at Metallica, all their stuff was in E standard, and they are very heavy sounding. The lowest I would ever go is drop C, but I'm more a fan of Eb standard. I occasionally venture to drop C#, but my guitars stay in E and Eb standard most of the time. I am thinking about getting a seven string somtime though.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
i'm in A# standard right now. hard to say if i'll go any lower..
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Habs
D standard... Drop C.. You dont need to go lower to play "metal". If you know what you are doing you can play metal in E standard.

you're right listen to anthrax-madhouse metal as hell but in standard tuning
drop db is low enough for me
anything lower and change in pressure on the fretbord changes the note too much
Page 1 of 3