Poll: Peavey classic 30 or AD30VT
Poll Options
View poll results: Peavey classic 30 or AD30VT
Peavey classic 30
37 76%
AD30VT
12 24%
Voters: 49.
Ok guys...erm,the all tube classic 30 or the AD30VT? answer it to the poll...
And any reasons why i should choose either is appreciated...please choose according to quality of sound,tone,quality of distortion and clean..

Ok,my questions on amps...What is the difference in sound between an all tuber and a SS amp? other then wattage that is...

Whats the difference between an amplifier that has more knobs then the other?Does this mean that there is more choice in sound?And are the other knobs really necessary?]

thanks,
Tube amps generally have a better sound than Solid State amps. I'm guessing you're comparing the knobs on the VOX to the Peavey? The AD30VT has more knobs because it has built in effect and amp models.
Gear :
  • Ibanez PF60S-NT
What music do you play?

Are you going to gig?

You can gig with the Peavey Classic 30; you can't with the AD30vt.

The AD30VT is a practice amp... the Peavey Classic 30 is a big boy amp .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I would probably only be using for practise...but it still will do right?

^and i don't get ''go up to 12 knobs''
mind explaining? thanks
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Nov 9, 2007,
so..err,i heard they classic 30 is at its best when blasted on full? but at soft sides,will it still sound nice? i would probably be using for practise..still worth getting?
Quote by Midnight Murk
Oh. It's nothing, really. The knobs, instead of going up to 10, go up to 12. Basically, you can turn this thing "up to 12."

Yes, it will work fine for practice. I have mine my bedroom.

ohh..i mis read it...i thought you were saying that there were 12 knobs...
I have the classic 50 and use i for a practice amp(as ridiculous as that is). I love the way it sounds. I play alot of classic rock and rockabilly and it does quite well. I'm not sure how well its suited for metal.
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50
I crank my peavey classic 50 when no one is home (which is quite often), and i've experimented with cranking it. I have it in a little semi-soundproofed closet, with the speakers blasting into feather pillows, and I can get that cranked tone without shaking the house.
I turn the normal and master volumes all the way up on the amp, and dial my strat (with blue laces) down to 5 or 6. If you crank it all the way... it gets bassy, but quite articulate still. I think it sounds best at about 6, where you have a decent amount of powertube distortion, but still not enough to not mud out your notes. If you like doing this, I suggest you swap out your power tubes for JJ's.

Threadstarter: Get the classic.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I'm surprised the Vox is losing...thats a great amp...
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I personally think the VOX will give you more different sounds to play with, but the comparison isn't overly fair - digital modeller versus a basic yet pure tube amp.

The Classic does have to be cranked for sweet overdrive tones, and at that point it's way outside of "bedroom practice" volume level. I find it has lovely full clean sound and great crunch - mostly what I use mine for, but it won't go anywhere near metal out of the box. It won't even go where my JCM goes at actual bedroom volume.

The downside is that the Classic has no standby switch, and the tubes do rattle. The latter is easily fixable, the former - not so much.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I'm surprised the Vox is losing...thats a great amp...

u don't know what the Peavey is capable of. same with the windsor. people hate it because it's a peavey. but the classic and the windsor are both awesome amps.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
for a little percentange more you could get the roland 60..... nice
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EX1 (moDE)

Ibanez Electro-Acustic

Zoom G2.1u

Roland Cube 60
Vox AD50VT 2x12

And A Great Passion!

Best Spanish Rock Band IS and WILL always be "Heroes Del Silencio"!!!!!
Quote by ECistheBest
u don't know what the Peavey is capable of. same with the windsor. people hate it because it's a peavey. but the classic and the windsor are both awesome amps.

I don't hate peavy, by no means. I've just generally heard alot more positive things about the Vox. And I've always enjoyed their versatility.

I must confess, I've never played that version of a peavy.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
^If you haven't played a classic, you don't know affordable tube tone.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quick question that's not really worth its own thread - $300 for a Peavey Classic 30 is worth it, right?
i don't play much classic rock...but hard rock and noisy stuffs...and of course i have my fair share of funk rock...but very little...

but comparing the vox and the peavey,which will be better when it comes to distortion?
Last edited by NoobOnZone at Nov 10, 2007,
The Classic 30 is more suited for classic rock and early hard rock (think GNR) but a bad choice if you want high gain. Same with the Vox.

If you use a lot of gain I'd go with the Vox AD50VT- XL
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^i haven't tried those yet. haven't seen'em at my GC.

so how are they?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Gabel
The Classic 30 is more suited for classic rock and early hard rock (think GNR) but a bad choice if you want high gain. Same with the Vox.

If you use a lot of gain I'd go with the Vox AD50VT- XL

but i don't suppose 50 would be a bit too loud? any other amps that will suit a lot of gain? maybe one thats from 30-50 watts? all tuber if possible...
whats the difference between a AD50VT and a AD50VT XL? the xl is better with tons of gain? and for a 50watt guitar,it sure is cheap...and its like a half tuber isn't it? but will this AD50VT XL be louder than the average 50watt SS amp? because the AD50VT has a few tubes from what i heard...
Little late coming into this one, but...

I just shipped my blue faced AD60VT to Nashville. It's a great amp. I loved it with the foot controller. Any sound you wanted, reasonably reproduced. For home recording, practice, and the occasional band practice, it's a superb choice. Many styles, and endless possibilities. However, I have a Toneport UX2 for recording now, and can get almost all of the same options that I could from the amp, and for gigging, I found I was just dialing in 4 sounds and just using those. Too much amp for what I needed. I play all styles, so...

I just got hold of a nice Classic 30. With a distortion pedal (haven't decided on the right one yet), and the versatility of my guitars, I should be able to get most sounds I need for live work, and mic the amp, or go straight into the Toneport for any recording sounds I need. And it's smaller and lighter.

Yup.
I own the AD30VT and to be honest, I don't like it very much. It only sounds good on clean settings and light distortion settings. The high gain models sound terrible (UK 80's, UK modern, and US Higain. Nu metal is okay though with the right EQ settings and an overdrive pedal). It can handle gigs with 75 people or so at the most, but it in my case it sounded bad when it was cranked with the Nu Metal setting. The best bet is to get the Peavey with an overdrive pedal or distortion pedal, or multi FX pedal.

The Valvetronix XL sounds terrible too. Vox just isn't good with high gain sounds. But i do love their cleans and the Boutique OD.
Last edited by steel337 at Mar 25, 2008,
but if you get yourself i high gain distortion pedal it will do metal right?
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Quote by SquierLolz
but if you get yourself i high gain distortion pedal it will do metal right?

No, it sounds even worse. Pedals dont go well with digital amps. I have a line 6 uber metal, and putting it through any of the clean channels sounds extremely bad. I use a Digitech bad monkey on the nu metal setting to get a decent metal sound.
Quote by steel337
No, it sounds even worse. Pedals dont go well with digital amps. I have a line 6 uber metal, and putting it through any of the clean channels sounds extremely bad. I use a Digitech bad monkey on the nu metal setting to get a decent metal sound.

i was talking about hte classic 30 mate
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H