Ok... so I'm one of those guitarists who love their toys... I have about 11 floor effects pedals (see my profile for a list) and Ive noticed that when I go through all of my pedals my tone is alot blander and not as crystal clear as when I go straight in to my amp.
I've heard alot about True Bypass and **** like that, but Ive never looked into the theory behind it... what is True Bypass and how is it achieved?

I've also read about how you can do something to your delay pedals to make it so that the delay trails off when you kick the pedal off, instead of cutting off the trail...
Can you do this with all Delay pedals? I have a Boss DD-3...

If anyone could help with this that'd be great!

true bypass completely removes the pedal from the signal circuit, cutting down on any tone loss. this might be debated since you have 11 pedals....but it could help

with your dd3 Im not sure this is possible.
but the Marshall Echohead has dual outputs, one with a natural decay. it's also a very natural, warm sounding digital delay.
True bypass means that there are no buffers in the effect pedal, it just goes straight in and straight out when its bypassed, thats the easiest way to explain it. Its achieved by using certain switches (DPDT or 3PDT) and wiring a certain way.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project

Fellow effect connoisseur!

True bypass is exactly as it is named. When the pedal is off, the only electronic components between the input and output is a wire, and this is achieved by Using a 3PDT, 4PDT or DPDT switch. When the circuit begins it uses up some of the switch terminals or inputs. BY adding more inputs to the terminals, you can have more circuits so what determines true bypass is that a wire is soldered to two empty terminals meaning when the device is switched off, a wire is the only thing in between hence your tone is unaffected and transparent as it goes through the pedal.

True bypass pedals are quite pricey however but worth the money.

However, if you have a long chain, it is worthwhile to have one pedal with a buffer (as in normal bypass, not true bypass) because signal loss occurs if you don't. Think about it, your signal has to go through about 50ft of cable to get to then amp, so obviously, frequencies will be lost on the way. If all pedals are true bypass and one buffered pedal is used, that is the best.

I can list you some alternatives to all the pedals you have that are true bypass if you say the word.

About the delay, the only thing I can think of is the e.level control or the HOLD function. Try that.

Hope this helps
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Would it be safe/expensive/worth it to do that to all of my pedals?
I have:
Jim Dunlop JH-1 wah, Digitech Whammy pedal (reissue), Boss Noise Suppressor, Boss Distortion DS-1, Boss DD-3, Marshall Guv'Nor Plus, Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeler, Boss Octave OC-2 and a PROEL volume pedal.... I think thats it
Basically all of them has stated what is true bypass

About the delay. The only delay I know of with the trailing feature is the digitech digidelay and the lie 6 echo park. I am not sure about the dd-6 though. But I think it also have the feature.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

ok... well Im not too bummed about the trail off thing... but back to the true bypass thing, IncubusMan999, do you know which of my pedals have true bypass?

and Mothership, your UG name wouldnt have anything to do with George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic would it?
i wouldnt have my pedals any other way tbh now that ive heard them.

though the colour a vox wah and a old analog delay or phaser gives can be quite nice - warms the tone sometimes
not all pedal are moddable to true bypass. or at least not easily.

I think the Hendrix wah might be able to be modded, wahs are usually big tone suckers
It would be extremely safe and definitely worth it but quite expensive!

The Whammy is really irreplaceable and is a great pedal, but it's a noisy bastard and it sucks tone.

The wah can function as your buffer. Or if you want, A Fulltone Clyde Wah, Teese Wah or RMC Wah are all true bypass and great. Also Vox V847a's are apparently very good.

Instead of the Boss Noise Suppressor, I'd get an ISP Decimator if I were you, much better and more effective plus it is more transparent.

Instead of the Boss DS-1, I would get another distortion like the Maxon Sonic Distortion (true bypass) or something from Damage Control (also true bypass). Search on Ebay, pretty much anything that's not Boss or MXR is most likely boutique true bypass and the way to go. PM me if you wish to ask me if you wanna know whether it's true bypass or not and worth the money if you find one worth seeing because the distortion pedal market is very very broad.

The DD-3 is great, but the T-Rex Replica is also very good. All in all, for a delay, you need to go analog or top quality digital and true bypass. Some of these are great - Maxon AD-999, Diamond Memory Lane, EHX Memory Man, T-Rex Replica, Fulltone Tape Echo, Retro-Sonic Analog Delay, TC Electronics Nova Delay, ToadWorks Redux, Maxon AD-9, DLS EchoTap, Carl Martin Red Repeat, Carl Martin DeLayla and so on.

With overdrives, there are so many great ones, once again, PM me if you need some ideas for excellent overdrives that are true bypass.

With the MM4, everything emulates something so pick your favourite effects that it creates and I'll tell you single, true-bypass options for each if you PM me.

For the Octaver, it can be done with the Whammy. I can do octaver effects with teh Whammy. The Guyatone OC-3 and EHX Octave Multiplexer are great if you must have an octaver.

For volume pedal, go either a Visual Sound Visual Volume or an Ernie Ball VP JR. Proel Volume pedals suck.

If you need any more info, PM me.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by loop-de-luke
ok... well Im not too bummed about the trail off thing... but back to the true bypass thing, IncubusMan999, do you know which of my pedals have true bypass?

and Mothership, your UG name wouldnt have anything to do with George Clinton and Parliament-Funkadelic would it?

None of the one's you currently have are true bypass.

I just thought, you could get a footswitchable true bypass effects loop and put them all in that so that you could just turn them all off and have crystal clear tone and when you want effects, just hit the button.

Xotic X-Blenders are great. A company called HAO also make an excellent one.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
i have 5 true bypass pedals in my chain, and a pair of 18ft cables. i compared that to just using the 18ft, and i noticed a big difference.

btw, i noticed difference when using an 18ft cable and a 6ft cable too.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by loop-de-luke
Ok... so I'm one of those guitarists who love their toys... I have about 11 floor effects pedals (see my profile for a list) and Ive noticed that when I go through all of my pedals my tone is alot blander and not as crystal clear as when I go straight in to my amp.
I've heard alot about True Bypass and **** like that, but Ive never looked into the theory behind it... what is True Bypass and how is it achieved?

I've also read about how you can do something to your delay pedals to make it so that the delay trails off when you kick the pedal off, instead of cutting off the trail...
Can you do this with all Delay pedals? I have a Boss DD-3...

If anyone could help with this that'd be great!

its interesting you mention these two things together. first of all, no, you can only get trails with pedals that have trails. the headrush does, as do the echo park and dl-4 i believe. i think the dd20 too and maybe the dd6. just to name a few. likewise, any delay pedal that has trails will definitely NOT be true bypass. why? because true bypass is a way of switching that completely takes the signal away from the pedal. with buffered pedals, the signal still goes through the pedal, it just doesnt add any effect to it. this is why some really cheap pedals still add the effect faintly even when off. in a true bypass pedal, the signal completely bypasses the effect part of the pedal.

true bypass is a mixed bag. there are pluses and downsides. personally, its something thats never much bothered me, but thats just me...
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Quote by Gurgle!Argh!

true bypass is a mixed bag. there are pluses and downsides. personally, its something thats never much bothered me, but thats just me...

True that but he mentions about how long his effects chain is and true bypass for all except 1 or 2 is essential on a long chain because the signal degradation over that many buffers will kill you.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
True that but he mentions about how long his effects chain is and true bypass for all except 1 or 2 is essential on a long chain because the signal degradation over that many buffers will kill you.

explain that one buffer thing more...also is the buffered one supposed to be in the middle of the chain?
Hmm... this is all very interesting... but I really don't want to change all of my pedals over, because I've spent thousands over the last couple of years to build up this chain... I never really realised how much they ****ed with your sound like that...

So... I really don't want to replace these pedals, and I don't exactly want to spend money and time on getting them all true-bypassable... so what's a quick-fix that I could do that I wont have to spend heaps on? Whats this pedal thing you mention that you connect to your chain that bypasses them all?
Quote by IncubusMan999

For volume pedal, go either a Visual Sound Visual Volume or an Ernie Ball VP JR. Proel Volume pedals suck.

If you need any more info, PM me.

Why do PROEL's suck? I've used mine for about a year now and it's still running strong... even though its made of 100% plastic and one of the inputs has gone crackly...
it's just volume... isnt it?

and what are Boss volume pedals like?
Quote by loop-de-luke
Why do PROEL's suck? I've used mine for about a year now and it's still running strong... even though its made of 100% plastic and one of the inputs has gone crackly...
it's just volume... isnt it?

and what are Boss volume pedals like?

I played a proel and it was noisy as ****!!! The Boss volume pedals are also noisy as **** and suck tone so much, even though it is only a potentiometer. The FV-50's suck majorly. The FV-500H isn't bad though.

For volume, you must go either an Ernie Ball VP JR or a Visual Sound Visual Volume. Both are excellent and top-of-the-range.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
I played a proel and it was noisy as ****!!! The Boss volume pedals are also noisy as **** and suck tone so much, even though it is only a potentiometer. The FV-50's suck majorly. The FV-500H isn't bad though.

For volume, you must go either an Ernie Ball VP JR or a Visual Sound Visual Volume. Both are excellent and top-of-the-range.

I dunno man, you mentioned a few pedals that make alot of noise for you, like the whammy, and the proel. I've played both on my JCM800, which is pretty damn noisy at times, as well as my other amps, and no noise, except when I turn on my wah. Sounds like you've got a wiring problem in your Epi? Did you use your epi with the proel and whammy? I founf my Epi LP had loads of noise, but it was just a weak output jack. The tip of the jack wasn't strong enough, and was about to break off, once i changed it, it was crystal clear.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by Reincaster
I dunno man, you mentioned a few pedals that make alot of noise for you, like the whammy, and the proel. I've played both on my JCM800, which is pretty damn noisy at times, as well as my other amps, and no noise, except when I turn on my wah. Sounds like you've got a wiring problem in your Epi? Did you use your epi with the proel and whammy? I founf my Epi LP had loads of noise, but it was just a weak output jack. The tip of the jack wasn't strong enough, and was about to break off, once i changed it, it was crystal clear.

Oh I don't actually have a Proel volume pedal, I have an Ernie Ball. The other guy has a Proel and I'm saying that are far off being the best. I played one at a shop and it was noisy as buggery. I think you may be mistaking me for the Threadstarter mate.

I have my Whammy in a bypassable effects loop and use it only when needed. I have had my JCM 800 modded with an effects loop put in and I run all my effects through that, excluding my wah, tuner, overdrive, ring modulator and MuRF. I have also made myself a channel switcher that can accommodate this.

I got no problem with noise though my JCM is quite noisy on its own (but I can fix it so no problems).

I check my Epiphone's wiring when I change strings and I do a self-service of the guitar including polish, fretboard clean and oil, wiring and electronics check and jack inspection.

So yeah, I think you oughta be talking to the threadstarter coz I ain't in need of help mate. Thanks anyway though. The threadstarter is called something else.

IncuEdit: The threadstarter is loop_de_luke, Rein
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Last edited by IncubusMan999 at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by IncubusMan999
Oh I don't actually have a Proel volume pedal, I have an Ernie Ball. The other guy has a Proel and I'm saying that are far off being the best. I played one at a shop and it was noisy as buggery. I think you may be mistaking me for the Threadstarter mate.

I have my Whammy in a bypassable effects loop and use it only when needed. I have had my JCM 800 modded with an effects loop put in and I run all my effects through that, excluding my wah, tuner, overdrive, ring modulator and MuRF. I have also made myself a channel switcher that can accommodate this.

I got no problem with noise though my JCM is quite noisy on its own (but I can fix it so no problems).

I check my Epiphone's wiring when I change strings and I do a self-service of the guitar including polish, fretboard clean and oil, wiring and electronics check and jack inspection.

SO yeah, I think you oughta be talking to the threadstarter coz I ain't in need of help mate. Thanks anyway though. The threadstarter is called something else.

No, I was specifically talking to YOU.

You said Proel volume pedals were noisy, and they aren't.

You said Whammy pedals were noisy bastards, but mine is as silent as can be.

Might be other things in the signal chain though. Your set up is pretty different from mine, I guess.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Nov 12, 2007,
AH I'm following you now. In response:

The Proel volume pedal I played was quite noisy, especially for a potentiometer, and its weep was somewhat uncomfortable. You may think differently, but from experience, it was quite a noisy little contraption

My Whammy IV is a noisy bastard when in use, but it's relatively silent when you turn it off (sucks a severe amount of tone though)

I hope that cleared things up a little.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
^Hmm, yeah, it might be thinkgs in your signal chain adding noise. For example, my wah adds alot of noise when I use it with my other pedals, even if they are off. However, if I play with only my wah, guitar and amp, there's no noise. but I don't think it's only the pedal, though.

my two cents.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by Reincaster
^Hmm, yeah, it might be thinkgs in your signal chain adding noise. For example, my wah adds alot of noise when I use it with my other pedals, even if they are off. However, if I play with only my wah, guitar and amp, there's no noise. but I don't think it's only the pedal, though.

my two cents.

Yeah, you would think so but my Whammy is first in my chain. I have used it independently though and it still has a bit of noise but it doesn't bother me, I'm building a clean booster to compensate for volume loss and tone suckage and then tyr and wire it to the whammy so that the switch controls both. It redesigning the switch that is ****ing difficult.

My wah is noisy too
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
Well, it actually doesn't matter where in the signal chain it is, a bad solder connection in the jack of another pedal could cause noise and so on.

Whynot just get a clean booster, then get a small TB loop box for the whammy. I know a guy that can make a TB loop box that fits on top of the whammy.

Put the booster and the whammy in the TB looper, and just switch it on and off.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

You know what? That is a superb idea, considering I haven't rewired any of the Whammy yet. Get a true bypass looper like the Xotic X-Blender or something. Brilliant, yet simple.

Yeah, the whammy would still be noisy anywhere, but I can really isolate the noise by taking it out and hearing that the chain is slightly less noisy. Once again, it's not a major concern.
Quote by dannyniceboy

Quote by Minkaro

DARK RED TEAM
IncubusMan999: You say you tried a proel in a shop? Everything I try in shops is noisy, because of all of the electronic things in the rooms (plugged in amps, lights, etc.).
Whenever I try out amps or anything it always buzzes heaps. My proel doesn't buzz at all.
What exactly do you mean by "noise"? From my experience with pedals, none of them make any extra noise... or at least any kind of noticeable noise.
The only pedals of mine that make any kind of noise is my distortions... but only when they're turned on or on 0 distortion. I fixed that with the noise suppressor.

And what's the best kind of effects bypass switch around that isn't too pricey?
I was just informed by a friend that all pedals thesedays are true bypass... Which is understandable, of course, because if true bypass is just a wire in the pedal that bypasses the effects, why wouldn't all pedal manufacturers do them? And you say that true bypass pedals cost alot more... why would one wire make any difference to cost?
My friend's dad spoke to a guy who mods vintage pedals to true bypass and stuff like that and he said that all of my friend's pedals were true bypass except for his old Boss Chorus Ensemble from the 70's
Quote by loop-de-luke
I was just informed by a friend that all pedals thesedays are true bypass... Which is understandable, of course, because if true bypass is just a wire in the pedal that bypasses the effects, why wouldn't all pedal manufacturers do them? And you say that true bypass pedals cost alot more... why would one wire make any difference to cost?
My friend's dad spoke to a guy who mods vintage pedals to true bypass and stuff like that and he said that all of my friend's pedals were true bypass except for his old Boss Chorus Ensemble from the 70's

Your friend is wrong. That's bypass, not true bypass.

Not all manufacturers do it these days, because it's not as cheap as electric switching, which boss does. Electric switching is virtually noise free/click free, and requires less parts. A TB switch probably costs 40 cents more or something, and that adds up over the making of many pedals. They make a million pedals, and $400,000 of it goes to switches.

TB is not just a wire, it's an entire switch as well. It means it'll remove the effect circuit completely from the signal chain, right? But when a delay pedal has trails, which means you hear the delays briefly after you turn it off, doesn't that mean the effect is partly in the signal?
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Last edited by Reincaster at Dec 3, 2007,