Alright well the bass player in my band is finally going to get a good amp and has a pretty decent price range. We play metal (hardcore/death/etc.) and he's looking for something in the $1100 range, give or take $100 or so, for both the head and cab.

He was set on getting an Ampeg B4R and an Avatar 4x10 cab until he recently saw an ad for a Carvin 8x10 1200W stack for $1040 I think it was. So I really don't think he knows what he wants.

He currently uses our old bass player's half stack (Ashdown MAG300 head and cab), but now he needs it and is going to finally take it home (after a half a year). I don't know if there was something wrong with the Ashdown or something, but we had to turn up to a little over halfway to get it loud enough to mix with my guitar, which is why he's looking at pretty high wattage stuff, that and so he doesn't really need to mic it at shows.

We'd like an amp that will really "hit" you with the bass when turned up at gigs, but still not completely overpower 2 100 watt tube guitar half stacks.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
You're going to need a lot of power to overpower two 100 watt half stacks. You shouldn't worry about that. Personally, I'd suggest that carvin rig. Factory direct is nice, no middle man, no bull. I've heard two carvin rigs, and they sounded great. Personally, I'd suggest a 4x10 and a 1x18. You want lows? Set the crossover, and listen (feel) some lows through your 1x18. There's nothing quite like it, really. It just hits you in the gut.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
I'd get the Carvin 8x10. The bass that's like being hit in the chest doesn't come from huge speakers and huge lows.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Alright, cool, thanks guys. Now, he was gonna go with the SS head, but they also have a tube head for $700, would he be better off getting the tube head and the 8x10 instead of the SS head and 8x10? Or are there any other heads/8x10s you'd suggest over the Carvins?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
In that price range, no. Otherwise, I'd suggest an Ampeg SVT-CL with an SVT-810E. It's what I play through, and I literally found the perfect tone for my needs.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
So then...

Carvin BR810 and...

Carvin B1500

Carvin BX1200

Ampeg B-4R

or

Ampeg SVT-3PRO ?

He'd prefer not to buy either of the last two as it'd be over his price range, but if it's worth it, he said he'd go for it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Hmm, there's also a deal on craigslist right now for a B-4R and SWR 8x10 for $1000, if it's not sold already.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by FbSa
I would say the Carvin.

But which one? There's 2
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by FbSa
Oops my bad, Carvin 8x10 1200W stack for $1040 that one!

Alright, cool. Thanks for all the help guys! I really have no idea about these things when it comes to bass gear
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com