Sorry if it has already been answered, but, I'm looking for a decent half stack. I've looked around, I've played thru the MG half stack, that didn't seem too bad, just a bit fuzzy. I've played a Kustom half stack with celestion 65's in the cab, that wasn't bad, just a bit harsh and not enough gain. they were around the price range I'm looking for, around $1100. i own a valve amp, and yes, there's nothing better than valves...but the valve head i want is 1500 (dsl50) and the cab is a grand. and i just don't have that money, maybe in the next three years i will own one. but do you have any suggestions on a decent amp?

cheers.
Ac30
Quote by the.spine.surfs

But really, asking the pit for relationship advice is like asking a girl with braces for a blowjob. Ouch.

Quote by Lil Macker
i first masterbated when i was... 10, i think
or was it 9...
yeah 10
and i'm catholic, don't tell the pope, i'll be holy watered
go used. assuming the cab you want is a 1960a, it could probably be found for about $500.

it sounds extremely redundant, but you don't need a half stack.

what amp do you already own? what type of music do you play?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
go used. assuming the cab you want is a 1960a, it could probably be found for about $500.

it sounds extremely redundant, but you don't need a half stack.

what amp do you already own? what type of music do you play?

marshall dsl401.
which is an all valve 40 watt amp.
valves are EL84.
maybe i should just wait and then in a few years get the amp that will do me forever, the dsl50. love that amp.
or get a 1960a cab, which can go with my dsl, and then save for the head.
hmph, well buying a half-stack wouldn't help you at all right now. if you're really fixed on a dsl50, why not buy the 1960a and sell the dsl401?

personally, i think the money could be spent on different things, considering you already have a dsl (though i see it has el84's and not el34's).
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
hmph, well buying a half-stack wouldn't help you at all right now. if you're really fixed on a dsl50, why not buy the 1960a and sell the dsl401?

personally, i think the money could be spent on different things, considering you already have a dsl (though i see it has el84's and not el34's).

yeah, i was thinking about selling the dsl. i'm not uurgently wnating a half stack. but by half way thru next year when i will be playign gigs, i will want one.
and the dsl suits your style of music?

and if you're tight on cash, how about a 2x12 cab, for the same price, you could get a lot more
but a gig doesn't require the need a 4x12, it just has a different sound to it, ya know?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
and the dsl suits your style of music?

and if you're tight on cash, how about a 2x12 cab, for the same price, you could get a lot more
but a gig doesn't require the need a 4x12, it just has a different sound to it, ya know?

yes, its perfect for the kinda music i play.
yeah, i understand the whole thing about cabs prescence and all that. i dunno, i really wnat something louder, as jamming with the drummer is hard to hear myself because
1) he hits hard and
2) his drums are loud as f*ck
hm, the dsl401 and dsl50 should be pretty freakin' loud either way. a 4x12 is gonna give you more bass response than actual noticable volume.

i have a 4x12 hooked up to my 2x12 for kicks and giggles, and when i first hooked it up, i forgot i did so, and only noticed when i walked away and felt my sound coming from the wrong place
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

haha
yeah.
they both are very loud.
maybe i should get a 2x12
because I'm also looking for that bassy sound you get out of a cab. by amp just needs that extra kick of bass to be perfect. whats a good, but reletively cheap (around 600) 2x12. maybe a marshall? i know they go for around 750 in aus i think.
ah, australian prices? you guys have it the roughest i think haha. do you know of any online dealers that offer services to you?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

haha yeah
australian prices are ****.
i think its cause we are the furthest away from anything really.
ummm, I'm not sure.
but i don't really trust those things. I'd prefer to go in and bargain with the guy at the shop or wait till stocktake when there are specials, or just wiat for specials which happens quite often these days.
what cab do you have?
fpr 1200 you can get a carivn V3 combo amp thats pretty dam loud and its a really good amp that can really do anything
Quote by convictionless
fpr 1200 you can get a carivn V3 combo amp thats pretty dam loud and its a really good amp that can really do anything

Will you shut up about the damn V3 for one second?
TS, You won't really need the extra wattage for gigs.
^I thought that was actually a pretty good suggestion for what the TS seems to be looking for, but if he's been spamming everywhere about V3's, then you're in the green for hushing him up.

And yes, TS, a 100 watt halfstack is NOT necessary to be heard. Sometimes I borrow the rythem players's rig (30 watt Crate 1x12" tube combo and a mid 80's Squier) in the cover band I play bass for, and I can obliterate the vocals, most of the bass, the lead player, and about 3/4's fo the drums, without turning the Crate past halfway. Just saying.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
^I thought that was actually a pretty good suggestion for what the TS seems to be looking for, but if he's been spamming everywhere about V3's, then you're in the green for hushing him up.

And yes, TS, a 100 watt halfstack is NOT necessary to be heard. Sometimes I borrow the rythem players's rig (30 watt Crate 1x12" tube combo and a mid 80's Squier) in the cover band I play bass for, and I can obliterate the vocals, most of the bass, the lead player, and about 3/4's fo the drums, without turning the Crate past halfway. Just saying.

maybe its just the room i play in. i have master and channel vol. on about 6 each and its a good mix between us both i spose. I'm just worried that if i turn it up any louder my amp will like..blow up or something.
yes, i have paranoia
i think I've decided that im going for the 1960a cab (which can be an extension cab for my dsl401), so then im halfway to buying the half stack that will do me for pretty much my life.
thanks everyone.
Quote by the.spine.surfs
^A pretty good move, I suppose. Going used?

nah probably not. id rather spend an extra 200 and get it brand new, knowing that the speakers won't blow in months or the sides won't fall off or something, and plus theres a warranty. i will have the money in about 2 weeks.
I'm quite excited.