Page 1 of 2
Background: I've played for about 2 and a half years, and I'd say I'm not half bad. However, two of those years were sitting down.

Now, I play in a band, and I'm finding that anything I play standing up sounds like crap. I end up bending notes when playing power chords, not attacking the strings correctly with my pick, and getting hand cramps after half of a relatively simple power chord song.

Don't even ask me about playing any sort of early RHCP stuff, or other riff based songs. I can barely hold a barre chord without passing out, much less play a simple lick.

The thing is, I've been playing standing for almost six months now (I mean doing it all the time), and I still sound like some kid of three months trying to play Smoke on the Water.

Any advice? Should I post a video or something? Because I think there may be something fundamentally wrong with my technique...

Thanks in advance.
hmm.. when i started out i wore my guitar real high cause i couldnt play standing too.. and after i got better i started lowering my guitar slowly.. and soon i could play standing as well as i could sitting.. so maybe you should try that?
I tend to learn stuff whilst sat down, then attempt it/perfect it standing up. Usually works for me.
Higher your guitar up and start playing the songs slowly until it is virtually perfect

as you get more confident and ur playing is a lot better then start to lower the strap.
Why handicap yourself. Leave your strap as high as you feel comfortable with. Tom Morello has his guitar way high.
Thanks for the replies guys.

I've tried different heights, and I can play decently at best when I jack the thing up all the way, but it kind of limits my stage movement. I know that sounds stupid, but I want to learn to play lower, and as soon as I attempt it, it doesn't sound half as good.

I wonder if there's just something I'm doing wrong fundamentally.
Nope, it's just that playing with the guitar higher up is better for you. Don't sacrifice your playing for 'stage movement'.

Learn to play standing up with the guitar up high, then lower it and learn to play like that. Then you'll get your stage movement.
Quote by Liberation
Every time I see your avatar I want to slit your neck with a butterknife. Goddamn Pingu.
having your goal to look like this on stage is silly, just put it wherever you want it and you can still be metal
or just go with some average positioning
Thanks guys, the pic of Hetfield playing isn't really what I'm going for, I just don't want to be choked by my guitar, if you know what I mean.

I just don't understand how guitarists can extend their wrists that far forward and still wrap their hands over the fretboard...
When I started playing standing up I had similar problems too. Then I noticed that my guitar was way to far to the right. This happened because I wanted to have it in the same position as when I was sitting down (over the right leg). I solved my problem by starting to play with the guitar resting on the left leg instead, as if I was playing classical guitar. This means that I can have the same position when sitting as well as standing. My pickinghand (when resting on the bridge) is just above my crotch, in the center of my stomach.
Quote by postmortem2006
I tend to learn stuff whilst sat down, then attempt it/perfect it standing up. Usually works for me.

I do this too, albeit subconsciouly.
Comes with practice i went through the same thing. As long as your guitar is nicely balanced and you've got a good strap you should be ok. Just keep practicing!
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by Ultraturtle0
Thanks guys, the pic of Hetfield playing isn't really what I'm going for, I just don't want to be choked by my guitar, if you know what I mean.

I just don't understand how guitarists can extend their wrists that far forward and still wrap their hands over the fretboard...

The key to this is, like with all things on guitar, slow progress.

Start playing with your guitar high-up when you stand and learn to play to your sitting standard like that then lower it a bit, not much though, just a bit and get good like that, rinse and repeat until you like the position of the guitar.

Another thing that'll help is playing with the guitar in a classical position when you sit as well, that feels more like playing standing up and I do all my serious practice like that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by ABluePersonalit
You don't need to play it low to be badass.

Oh ffs. No one said anything about being badass; some people, oddly enough, find playing with their guitar too high uncomfortable so he needs to know how to practice so he can get it to a low and comfortable level. More to the point the whole "Tom Morello" thing has already been said by a couple of people.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Shard Heilia
RATM...Badass?

What is this world coming to?

I was more talking about Tom Morello than the band he's in because he really pushed what you could make a guitar sound like.

EDIT: To Zaphod: Sorry for posting another thing about Morello, I hadn't read through the whole thread. I was saying that he could wear it higher, which would make it easier for him.
Last edited by ABluePersonalit at Nov 11, 2007,
I personally don't think it matters the strap height of your guitar. High up, middle, low, I think they all look cool and are "metal" no matter what.
i cant play technical stuff when sitting, but i cant play chords standing up. its just a player to player variant
Quote by cnut
When I was eight, me and my best friend started "practicing for girls".
Which involved us going into the woods, and him sticking his dick in my ass.
The last time we did it, his sister caught us.

use AVG as your anti-virus
Quote by Ultraturtle0
I can barely hold a barre chord without passing out

I have this problem too... After holding a barre chord for 5 seconds, my hand starts to hurt really badly... Like it's on fire!!

I always play a little worse while standing than while sitting.
I'm sorry for my bad English
Quote by xyber56
hmm.. when i started out i wore my guitar real high cause i couldnt play standing too.. and after i got better i started lowering my guitar slowly.. and soon i could play standing as well as i could sitting.. so maybe you should try that?

+1

couldnt have put ti better
Quote by seljer
having your goal to look like this on stage is silly, just put it wherever you want it and you can still be metal

that is the goofiest picture of Gilmour ever
I'd say mess around with your strap until you find the most comfortable position. I also have some problems when playing up. On my Ibanez GAX70, the strap-button is on top, and the way they balanced it, it just feels like my guitar is sliding(to the side of the neck). I always have to "hold it" with my fretting hand so it doesn't slide and end up perpendicular to my body. Unsure if this is with my guitar or if they are all like that, but yeah.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
I'd say mess around with your strap until you find the most comfortable position. I also have some problems when playing up. On my Ibanez GAX70, the strap-button is on top, and the way they balanced it, it just feels like my guitar is sliding(to the side of the neck). I always have to "hold it" with my fretting hand so it doesn't slide and end up perpendicular to my body. Unsure if this is with my guitar or if they are all like that, but yeah.

It's not just your guitar but it's not all guitars; only some guitars do it due to the body size/material, neck length and the position of the strap buttons but I'm surprised your GAX70 does it, my GAX30 is fine for balance.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
It's not just your guitar but it's not all guitars; only some guitars do it due to the body size/material, neck length and the position of the strap buttons but I'm surprised your GAX70 does it, my GAX30 is fine for balance.

Hum if it can explain, it's a Ibanez Gax70 GIO(?). I do not know what the GIO means or anthing, perhaps you know?

EDIT: Oh and I can remember my friend's Squier Stratocaster not sliding like this. I'm guessing it has to do with the model/weight balance/material, etc.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

if u practice enough with the guitar dropped to the floor, I'm pretty sure you can play just as good as you would sitting down, I mean, it justs takes practice and time, like everything else.
It helps me to get the guitar is a comfortable position, and the raises the neck of the guitar to where the headstock is just above my shoulder. Then with my right foot, I stand on my tip toes, and my left leg goes behind me, creating a perfectly strong composier. Nothing special, tons of guitarist do it, I was just watching the pros on stage and figured Id mimic there stance, and it works. It also helps that I have a Jackson Randy Rhoads and it just kind of sits on my right leg.
- Play it from your heart, to the tips of your fingers
I can't play while standing still...I have to either sit down and play, or groove a bit. If I'm standing perfectly still, I'm sloppy as hell. It's weird.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by loonyguitarist
Nope, it's just that playing with the guitar higher up is better for you. Don't sacrifice your playing for 'stage movement'.

Learn to play standing up with the guitar up high, then lower it and learn to play like that. Then you'll get your stage movement.

Definetley! No point of sounding bad to look better,
Even Petrucci Sometimes rest his leg on an amp when he shreds really low on the neck!
Definetley! No point of sounding bad to look better,
Even Petrucci Sometimes rest his leg on an amp when he shreds really low on the neck!

yeh and he still looks badass, and everyone still wishs they could be him, so dont worry wat u look like so much.
It's not just how high your guitar is, it's also what angle you play it at. If you have your body really low and your neck high then you shouldn't really have too much trouble. But if your neck is low then there is a bigger stretch on your wrist which can make things more awkward and difficult. Personally, I started out playing standing up. But I can't do insane solos while standing unless I do the Petrucci one leg on a monitor thing. After playing both standing and sitting, I'd say the best thing to do to get used to playing standing is to just adjust where your neck is. Start off with the neck higher up so you can use your arm for more leverage and then when you get used to that you can start to lower it a bit and get into the whole James Hetfield look if you want.
Quote by Zeroxsk8er1
i had the same problem i keep the guitar like at my belt/waist level. dont try to be cool and play with your strap all low. oh yeah dont put it too high too!!! hope it helps

Many modern bands play really low down, nearly at their knees. These bands include Linkin Park and Good Charlotte, but there are heaps out there. If their guitarists dont have bad backs, sore necks or athritis later on in life i'll be suprised. Sometimes they set the wrong example for younguns. Me, i play as high as possible, "Buddy Holly and the Crickets" style.
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Quote by seljer

hurray jari!

i used to have problem with this. i thought i was like physically retarded. but look at people like muhammed and chuck shuldiner. they don't play low down and they still rock!
If you're awesome at guitar, it won't matter much how high or low you wear your guitar. And as long as you don't stand there like a tree, people probably won't notice because they'll be busy rocking, or, watching your hands.

And, like everyone says bascially, do whatever is easiest first, then practice and get comfortable with whatever you want.
For my first like 8 months i played sitting down. When i stood up and played i had my guitar up to my chest almost. After like two days though i lowered it and kept lowering it every so often and now im pretty comfortable with it all around.
If your wrist hurts while playing, you're probably playing with the neck tilted too far down. That, or you're squeezing the neck of the guitar way too hard. If your picking hand hurts, then the guitar is too low, or you're standing too straight. The lower the guitar, the more you have to hunch. And to play solos, lean back so the guitar rests against your body. This will help keep the angle of the neck, and also raise the guitar just a bit to help you reach the high frets. And it looks cool.
I have only been playing for about a year now. But you should just keep practicing, when I play I alternate between sitting, and standing. You should try and learn something sitting down, then when you feel comfortable try and play it standing. You won't always get it quickly, but that is why you have to practice. This was told to me by my cousin who teaches me.
"Nice boys don't play rock n' roll" - Axl Rose in (Nice Boys cover)
Page 1 of 2