Now that im in high school and have joined jazz band and windor (indoor drumline/winter percussion) its come time that i need an electric bass, my parents told me to keep it below $600 so basically i need a bass with a good tone for jazz/alternative-indie-really odd and id like it to be somewhat good for rock and metal. Any help would be GREAT cause looking around the only thing thats caught my eye is the Fender Jazz Bass, and i guess i could go a little over 600 but not to much. thanks for the help

ps: my dad told me i could go up to 750 and as i was saying i could throw in as much as maybe $100
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
just dont get it in your eyes and wear gloves
Last edited by jimmiew at Nov 9, 2007,
I was going to say a Fender Jazz, or maybe a G&L L-2000 Legacy.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Hey I was kinda in the same situation as you (the money part) and I have the perfect bass for you! Buy a Schecter (http://www.schecterguitars.com/index.asp) look at their Stiletto series if you want a good bass that can play all around stuff and look at their Omen series if you wanna play more metal/hardcore stuff! These are great basses and if you wanna go look at review and stuff that would be good because these are great guitars! I play gigs and stuff with a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 string and it gives me the nice clean fat sound i need for good strait bass lines and when im messing around with friends it gives me the nice chunky metal sound! Its great! You can get 1 for about 600 at guitar center i think. Also try ebay. they seem like 1000 dollar quality
Last edited by donutdude246 at Nov 9, 2007,
do you have a bass amp? if not, you need the best bass, for the least price, so you can get one. Squire(made by fender), Vintage Modified Jazz basses are a good deal. as are the Ibanez, Yamaha, etc.........
you need an amp, to go with that bass. if it was me, i would buy a used Fender Jazz, MIM, for about $300(+/- $50). and spend the rest on an amp.
well right now i want the best bass i can get for the money, ill be able to get an amp in a few months and for now ill run it through my computer and or PODxt Live since i can use it for bass tones
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer
I've had the tiny ones in my mouth and accidentally swallowed a bit of the liquid, you should be all right.

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
if u want the most bang for ur buck i would go for the schecter, unless you really like the fender jazz and feel and all that
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by xDie_Romanticx
I really do have to stress, you're going to need an amp. Seriously.

I'm also very confused by your first post. Will you be learning to play electric bass on this? Or have you been playing an Upright? If so, I'm not sure if buying the best bass you can is a good idea. You may not...like bass very much and regret wasting $600 on it. If you're just starting out, I'd reccomend the Ibanez GRS starter package. It's great for the price and fantastic to learn on, and the leftover money you have you can save up for a better amp/bass later on.

Now if you already can play well, I'd reccomend you get yourself a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass and a decent amp with whatever money you have left over. You absolutely need an amp, a good amp is more important than a good bass. Plus, the SVMJ is actually a fantasitc bass for it's price. I, personally, prefer it to MIM Fender's.

My 2 cents I guess. >_>
Out of the ones you narrowed it down to, I'd go for the Geddy Lee bass.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
the highway 1, without a doubt get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i own the h1 jazz and its amazing.
go for the geddy lee
Quote by Freddy_Walker
stevo 192 lol mate u a beast! Such a rebel!!!

'90 Fender P-bass lyte
Squier P bass special
Trace Elliot Series 6 head and cabs
Fender American Stratocaster
Vintage Teisco electric guitar
Fender princeton 650 dsp amp
I've been playing upright for 5 years, i own an upright and i played the schools electric bass for jazz band last year in middle school to the guy who was worried about me not liking bass.

Thanks for all the new suggestions I'm going to Guitar Center tommarow and I'll check out the ones you guys have pointed out and I'll most likely be able to get an amp ontop of the bass but if not I'll have an actual amp soon and untill then I'll be using the schools half stack for practices/performances and my computer for at home practices because I have a somewhat decent setup for playing and recording on my computer from recording guitar parts for various things over the past 3 years.
Quote by GibsonPuppeteer

Quote by xDie_Romanticx