Alright guys, time where I get you to all help me with Electrical Math B again

There are two main quadratic questions I want to get out of the way.

1. x^2 - y^2 = 40
x + 2y = 13

2. 2x + 3y = 12
x^2 + y^2 = 25

I have answers for both (they both involve complex conjugates) but I'm not THAT sure on them. Anybody want to have a crack?

EDIT: Urgh, ****ed up horribly on the first one. It's not a complex answer, hopefully.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Last edited by the_random_hero at Nov 9, 2007,
WHO DOES MATH ON A FRIDAY?! but if i could do those w/o whipping out a pencil then id do it... but i cant so i wont good luck with those
ahh I remember those in grade 10....sadly I can't remember how to do them...I could probably easily figure it out but it's quarter to twelve now and I can't be damned to do it.
My Rig:

Guitars:
Schecter C-1 Classic (Deep Sea Green)
Jackson DK2M Snow White Edition
BC Rich Mockingbird Special X

Amps:
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 212
Roland Microcube

RIP Kevin Robert Swerdfiger
September 15 1991 - May 16 2008
i assume the two equations for each question need to be solved simultaneously?
if so then for 1 i get x = 13 - 2y therefore (13-2y)^2 - y^2 = 40 which solves to give y = 3, x = 7 and y = 43/3, x = -47/3 (no complex numbers, maybe i made a mistake or something?). cant be bothered with 2nd one but thats what i get for 1st.

edit: ok i can be half bothered and for the second one i get x = -1.26 or 4.95 (to 2 decimal places anyway) and then y = whatever for them. again no complex numbers anywhere assuming me and my calculator are doing this right.
Last edited by Major Seventh at Nov 9, 2007,