Well, pretty soon, I'll be getting a new amp (Palomino 30W), and I'm pretty sure I'll be needing an OD pedal for anything above hard rock. I'll be using the pedal for Iron Maiden, Pantera, Slayer, Judas Priest, things like that.

I'm interested in a Metal Muff and that's at the top of my list of pedals I'm interested in. I've heard good things about the BadMonkey, the price seems good, but I'd rather save up a bit more for a better pedal in the long run. I also thought a bit about some Boss pedals, and am curious about the Rocktron Silver Dragon and Metal Planet pedals.
i dont like boss pedals.. i hate them for metal all except the metalcore

i say get the metal muff or the digitech metal master
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
The digitech metal master pedal is pretty good. the dime crybaby is what my dad uses. It's pretty good.
Let me be honest TS: you've got the wrong amp for that stuff. The Palomino is a vintage voiced, low gain amp. Get a Peavey Valveking instead. Its a modern, metal voiced amp, and with a TS9 by Ibanez can do everything you need and sound good doing it. Playing metal on a Palomino with a high gain pedal in front of it is defeating the purpose of the amp tbh, not to mention it won't sound good.
How good is a Valveking for blues then? I will be playing mainly blues and rock on the Palomino. I won't be playing metal that much, but I will play it frequently enough that I need the right sound.
Quote by Iceman 420
How good is a Valveking for blues then? I will be playing mainly blues and rock on the Palomino. I won't be playing metal that much, but I will play it frequently enough that I need the right sound.

Valveking does low gain stuff pretty well I think. ITs a versatile amp, with its only issues being its Made in China and has spotty reliability.
Quote by CJRocker
Let me be honest TS: you've got the wrong amp for that stuff. The Palomino is a vintage voiced, low gain amp. Get a Peavey Valveking instead. Its a modern, metal voiced amp, and with a TS9 by Ibanez can do everything you need and sound good doing it. Playing metal on a Palomino with a high gain pedal in front of it is defeating the purpose of the amp tbh, not to mention it won't sound good.

i haven't played one extensively, but from what i remember, the valveking isn't very metal voiced either. granted, it's closer than the palomino, but not by much. ha, and well i also like the palomino better overall

TS, if you're into 80s metal/hard rock, the palomino would do fine with an OD pedal.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Iceman 420
Alright then. I'll be sure to try out both when I get to GC.

Good plan. I found the Palominos quite frankly sucked for anything more then SRV with numb feeling controls, and minimal over drive. I really liked the ValveKing, and I would say its fairly modern voiced, and hits 80 hair tones fine, and probably sounds a lot better doing it then the Palomino (but because the Palomino never reached those levels to begin with...) As for reliability, its made in China, and I've heard more then a few stories about them having issues. Of course the Palomino is made in Vietnam, and isn't that great either. And at least the VKs I tried worked; one turned on but didn't make any sound and the other must of been broken as I can't honestly see how people are comparing it to the ValveKing.
With that amp you wont want an OD pedal, you'll want a Distortion pedal, i personally reccomend the Marshall Guv'Nor, use it for Black Label Society stuff and Damageplan.

Get an OD for solos
Quote by .arkness:.
I see my guitar as a chick because I'd be damned if i were ever holding / fingering a guy for hours a day.

I lulzed.
With my palomino + eq + od I can get some really cool metal tones out of it. By itself I can get up to hard rock, and without my eq it does sound more vintage but i'm definitely glad i finally got one cause now i can tighten up my sound a lot more, but with low output pickups it prolly wouldn't get metal enough i guess. imo the valve kings are a little bit colder sounding but they do have a lot of versatility so..
Last edited by yoyodunno at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by Iceman 420
I will be playing mainly blues and rock on the Palomino. I won't be playing metal that much, but I will play it frequently enough that I need the right sound.

You and me are in the same boat. I play mostly garage rock and blues, and I have a Epi Valve Junior (similar voicing to your amp). I don't play very much high gain stuff, but when I do, I don't want poor tone. The Metal Muff ($100 version with the two footswitches) is probably the most economical pedal for the closet metal player with a vintage voiced amp. If you have the cash, though, look into Damage Control pedals, I hear a lot about them being killer, but they're $300+, and completly out of my tax bracket.
I would look into the Maxon Od's....the OD808, OD-9 and the OD-9+.

Give you that extra saturation and a smoother tone in general.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by CJRocker
Good plan. I found the Palominos quite frankly sucked for anything more then SRV with numb feeling controls, and minimal over drive. I really liked the ValveKing, and I would say its fairly modern voiced, and hits 80 hair tones fine, and probably sounds a lot better doing it then the Palomino (but because the Palomino never reached those levels to begin with...) As for reliability, its made in China, and I've heard more then a few stories about them having issues. Of course the Palomino is made in Vietnam, and isn't that great either. And at least the VKs I tried worked; one turned on but didn't make any sound and the other must of been broken as I can't honestly see how people are comparing it to the ValveKing.

Alright, I believe the Palomino I'm looking at is one made in the US, and I'm still leaning towards it, but I still won't know until putting an OD pedal in front of the thing at GC.
Quote by Iceman 420
Alright, I believe the Palomino I'm looking at is one made in the US, and I'm still leaning towards it, but I still won't know until putting an OD pedal in front of the thing at GC.

From what I've been told by people on ehre, the very first ones were US made. I would still try one though with a pedal in front of it. the other issue you could run into is the speaker getting flubby with lots of bass. for whats it worth, if you do go with it, try an AMT ExtremeIII. I'm thinking about getting one for Christmas, as my friends blows me away.