I saw Pat Matheny in his trio last night and wow, they put on a really good show. Pat was wonderful, as expected, and he played a great variety of music, played for 2 hours, 20 minutes straight and it was probably one of the best shows i've ever been to

I highly suggest you guys go! he played a couple songs solo acoustic (first on baritone acoustic guitar, then on nylon, then on his 42 string instrument which is an acoustic guitar and basically 3 lap harps attached to the body - it was really great he really used everything the guitar had to offer) - one thing i really note about Pat Matheny is his song writing skills, he has some really powerful and dramatic pieces, and his ideas about melody and song construction are really interesting - he also achieves a really present tone and power when he plays, not many people can fill up a room on acoustic guitar the way he can

he plays with Christian McBride on bass who is defenatly one of the premier bassists in modern jazz, he had really good solos with a really impressive melodic emphasis, and a man named Antonio Sanchez from Mexico City on drums, who played wondefully as well

If anyone has the chance to see him on his current tour, I highly suggest going! I saw him at a University Show (monmouth u.) in a theater that seats only 700 and wow it felt GREAT

the Pat Matheny Trio will be releasing their first studio album in January as a side note, he played a couple of the songs that would be on that album and they sounded fantastic - (PS im not sure how long Pat Matheny has been working in this Trio setup)

well that's all I really wanted to say!

-Mike
-Mike
Yeah, I would love to see Pat Metheny live. I've seen Christian McBride though, and he is really good.

I'm not sure when the next date Pat is playing here in Oregon...I missed a chance last year to see him and I now regret it . I just wasn't as aware of Pat Metheny's music and skills in those days...
Did they do that duo between McBride and Metheny on My Funny Valentine. That was easily the highlight of the whole concert for me, and the trio tunes that will be on the upcoming album of course
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
They did a duet but it wasn't My Funny Valentine, I don't think he told us the name - and he didn't do The Red One.

He completely owned When We Were Free though; he got a mid concert 2 minute standing ovation for that one.
-Mike
you guys, i need help.

next month, i have a conflict and i can only go to one:

backstage pass for and go see Iron Maiden
or
Pat Metheny Trio?

both in LA
i had a chance to see him once and missed it by a day (it was for the Montreal Jazz Festival and i got there the day after he played)
wow if i ever saw Lone Jack, Bright Size Life, or Travels, etc. (or any other of his beautiful songs) live i think i would have to crap my pants

'tis life
Quote by Zypher77
you guys, i need help.

next month, i have a conflict and i can only go to one:

backstage pass for and go see Iron Maiden
or
Pat Metheny Trio?

both in LA

I vote Pat Metheny. Even though I like Maiden, I think Pat Metheny is just amazing and he is playing with amazing musicians on this tour.
I'd say Pat - I mean, seriously, how good are the shows Iron Maiden are doing?

Pat Metheny is just amazing live.
-Mike
Saw these guys in Rochester at the end of October. Totally amazing. That drummer made me cream all over my nips
Quote by syyz1
Saw these guys in Rochester at the end of October. Totally amazing. That drummer made me cream all over my nips

Hey! I was at that show too. Cool!

Yeah, it was an amazing show. I'm pretty sure every guitar player, bass player or drummer in the audience either quit or went home to practice. I did the latter.
Quote by Gabuydachk
i had a chance to see him once and missed it by a day (it was for the Montreal Jazz Festival and i got there the day after he played)

I was there, in july last year.
Metheny was playing with Mehldau on piano and the Brad Mehldau quartet.

I kinda dozed off during the first 45 minutes, when they churned out three or four Mehldau tunes and really went in all directions, in what I think was some kind of experimental outter space modern jazz impro, really, really too hard for me to focus on.

Eventually, after a mixed lukewarm reception by the audience, they kicked the dog, Metheny slung his Pikasso Guit-Harp for his classsic "Into the dream / Have you heard"...

... and then the plane finally took off with the band playing fixed formats leaving ample soloing room for tasteful and creative soloing by Metheny and Mehldau a lot more in tune with the audience, including myself.
Last edited by ColdGin at Jan 11, 2008,
into the dream / have you heard is where it's at - both those songs are so good, and the back to back is perfect
-Mike