Why are so sceptical about what gear big name guitarists use, Ive seen loads of people on here say "oh, its his signature but he doesnt use it, what he uses is better", or "He has the pedal on the stage but its not what the stock one is like" blah blah blah.
WHY? Why would they put there name to somethin that there not gonna use? I think all it is, is that people buy these pedals/amps/guitars and expect a magical transformation to happen as soon as they plug in. When they realize they dont play or sound like Zakk Wylde/Slash/Steve Vai or whoever, they cant get it into their heads that its their playing thats not up to scratch. Its not the pedal/amp/guitar. Its YOU.
I had the amazing honor of playing through Zakk Wylde's live rig on one of his bullseye les pauls when he was with Pride and Glory in about 1998. (I was 19) I sounded like me. I didnt sound like Zakk Wylde.

Because it brings in da moneys
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
I think trying to model your entire rig after somebody is silly.

EDIT: Took a couple of times to read before I understood what you were trying to say.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at Nov 9, 2007,
you dont get it. Do you think they all have access to some kind of magical gear maker that meer mortals dont have access to?
Quote by jscustomguitars
Why are so sceptical about what gear big name guitarists use, Ive seen loads of people on here say "oh, its his signature but he doesnt use it, what he uses is better", or "He has the pedal on the stage but its not what the stock one is like" blah blah blah.
WHY? Why would they put there name to somethin that there not gonna use? I think all it is, is that people buy these pedals/amps/guitars and expect a magical transformation to happen as soon as they plug in. When they realize they dont play or sound like Zakk Wylde/Slash/Steve Vai or whoever, they cant get it into their heads that its their playing thats not up to scratch. Its not the pedal/amp/guitar. Its YOU.
I had the amazing honor of playing through Zakk Wylde's live rig on one of his bullseye les pauls when he was with Pride and Glory in about 1998. (I was 19) I sounded like me. I didnt sound like Zakk Wylde.

Good rant.
Because most of us know its just marketing. Most people would put their name on a bag of dog turds if there was a check involved. Yea zakk wylde uses gibsons but does he also use the epiphones unlikely. And does tomy iommi play an epiphone, no. Putting a persons name on it doesnt make it better just more expensive.
Quote by jscustomguitars
you dont get it. Do you think they all have access to some kind of magical gear maker that meer mortals dont have access to?

no, not really. mostly inexperienced players think that, but to people who play enough guitar, we know everyone's style's different. you can try to copy someone's style, and it may work (like SRV playing little wing by hendrix), most of the time it doesn't though.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I was directing it more at pedals more than anything. But Any of the guitarists you mentioned could easily pick up the cheap sigs and still sound like themselves.
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

+100
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by Tackleberry
Because most of us know its just marketing. Most people would put their name on a bag of dog turds if there was a check involved. Yea zakk wylde uses gibsons but does he also use the epiphones unlikely. And does tomy iommi play an epiphone, no. Putting a persons name on it doesnt make it better just more expensive.

Have you ever played a signature Iommi? It's a hell of a guitar, and so is the Zakk Wylde Epi LP. Just because they're not Gibson doesn't mean they aren't near the quality of Gibson. Same pickups, same wood, same electronics, same hardware, but only assembled in a different country. That's the only difference I have ever noticed besides the inlays being made of sterling silver on the Gibson Iommi (which is just illogical to me).
Gear:
Ibanez RG7321 Seven String
Epiphone Iommi Signature SG
Digitech Scott Ian Black 13
VOX Valvetronix AD100VTH
Laney 4x12 w/Celestion 50s
Quote by Dog454
Have you ever played a signature Iommi? It's a hell of a guitar, and so is the Zakk Wylde Epi LP. Just because they're not Gibson doesn't mean they aren't near the quality of Gibson. Same pickups, same wood, same electronics, same hardware, but only assembled in a different country. That's the only difference I have ever noticed besides the inlays being made of sterling silver on the Gibson Iommi (which is just illogical to me).

Id like to go along with you on that buddy but your drastically wrong! lol
People need to realize that tone is in the fingers and not in a chunk of metal. Eddie Van Halen got his brown sound out of an unmodded JMP, a crap guitar with a nice pickup, and a few mxr effects and echoplex. I guy I know met Slash's guitar tech (who was EVH's at one point) and Dave Navarro's tech. And aparently they were the only ones who could coax an awesome tone out of their gear
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by yurfinlfntsy

Yeah, I mean, more people would buy Squiers if there was a Hendrix Signature Squier, right? They better not make a Hendrix Sig Squier...
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
yes i believe that was him
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
^ I agree sometimes, but not always.

Most stuff signature is crap. But there are a couple good ones - for example the Eric Johnson Strat, Ibanez PGM301 and ENGL Blackmore that are great and not too overpriced.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I want to add, signature stuff can be an influence. You may start to think you're EVH with his kind of stuff, and you'll grow confident and it will help you as a player. Granted, thats being extreme about it, but I really liked having a blue and white Squier as it reminded me of Kurt Cobains, and I'm a big Nirvana fan. Same goes for my black and white Charvel. Now however I'm more to the point I kinda dislike signature stuff, as I want to be unique and carve out my "signature" gear
Signature gear is irrelevant to me. I picked up a Zach Wyled sig OD, and I've actually never listend to Black Label Society in my entire life.

Let that settle in.

Usually, I'd now say something like "judge a piece of gear by it's merits, not by who does or dosn't endorse it". Which is good advice. but I only bought that OD 'cause it was $20 on Craigslist, and I know I could turn a little profit.

But yes. Some signature gear is cool. I think the Alexi Laiho sig V's are kinda neat, and I've never listened to Children of Bodom. The Iommi SG looks nifty. But I don't think I'd ever really buy a signature guitar. I just can't think of any guitarist I'd rather be (or look like I want to be) than myself. Not that I'm better than Clapton...trust me, Clapton could piss on a Strat and sound better than me. I just value my individuality, and don't feel the need to emulate anyone else.

But TS, I aggree. You can pick up a Pacifica plugged into an SP-10, or a $8k ZW Bullzeye LP into a full Marshal stack, but you'll still sound like you.
Anything Zach Wylde endorses must be good...

Signature gear gives the guy lending his name to the product more money. That's it. People shouldn't believe they're going to sound like the guy who's signature is on their product because:

a.) they're not that guy
b.) that guy probably doesn't use the product his signature is on

There are a couple sig guitars that are great (the Eric Johnson Strat comes to mind), but that in no way means that the EJ is using that same Strat.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Anything Zach Wylde endorses must be good...

Signature gear gives the guy lending his name to the product more money. That's it. People shouldn't believe they're going to sound like the guy who's signature is on their product because:

a.) they're not that guy
b.) that guy probably doesn't use the product his signature is on

There are a couple sig guitars that are great (the Eric Johnson Strat comes to mind), but that in no way means that the EJ is using that same Strat.

Toshay, my good man.

Fender have made mega-expensive Andy Summers and EVH replicas, but those guys will carry on using the original guitars.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I have a Clapton Strat and I love it. No, I don't sound like Clapton nor do I intend to but its an awesome guitar. Although I'm really not sure what sets it apart from the standard MIA strats other than the VN pickups and the neck. I got it in a trade so its not like i shelled out another $500 for the name.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I would like to point out that the J Mascis (Dinosaur Jr) sig Jazzmaster is INCREDIBLE. The price is actually fairly low (in my local shop it's $100 less than MF). He's providing a great guitar at a good price to people, and I think that's a cool thing to do.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite