Page 1 of 2
I been playing for about one year now, so far i've only learn a few riffs ( they sound horrible), 2 scales and the C-A-G-E-D chords on my own. I am thinking about taking some lessons. Is a teacher really worth it? How much faster will i progress with a teacher?.

I did a bit of searching and came across these two teachers in my area :

http://www.musiclearning.com/vancouver.html

http://vancouverguitarlessons.com/

Do their rates sound resonable?

Cheers
oooo
yes
you will find with a teacher
that you will progress
as a guitarist much much faster
because he can show things that will actually help you
learn faster
and plus
he is efficent at what he does and can give you tips in what your doing
teachers are always good to have
yeah it will help a lot, i only looked at the first guys thing, but 30USD is pretty common, and twenty's a good deal for 1/2 hour i would recommend doing hour lessons though. By the time you tune and get warmed up, you barely have any time to learn if you do 1/2 hour.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Martin DC-16RE Premium

Fender Snakeskin Champ 12
If you decide to get a teacher, make sure its a good one. I went through about 3 teachers before i found a good one, so make sure you look hard.

.....\,========================]
...../ ..---.........................-----.............|]
..../_==o;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-------.:/
....), ...(_(_) ..../
...// (..) ), ------"
..//......//
.//......//
//......//
Quote by TechnicolorType
You've been playing for a year and that's all you know?

I've been playing for a bit over a month, without any teachers, I know how to play over 50 riffs, 15 full songs, around 5-10 solos, can do a buncha' other methods like tapping fairly well.

seriously in a year, you should be able to play far more stuff.. what do you play, like once a month?

to be honest, I wouldn't bother with a teacher.. if you need help just go look up something online..
that's how I learned how to tap and stuff, other then that I just looked up tabs and figured chords out on my own.. first night I started playing, learned how to play half of the intro Hypnotize and Smoke on The Water (easiest song ever..)

but yeahhh, maybe I caught on fast?
it isn't as hard as it seems.. for a year that's rather.. odd tbh

unless you've only heard about 5 songs total in your life and that's what you can play.....

but anyways, for you I guess you need a teacher..
at least do an hour lesson, half an hour won't be much time as someone said.

i....... dont believe you.

yeah get a teacher, it will help alot.
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
Quote by TechnicolorType
Then don't, not my fault most people suck at guitar when they first start..
It doesn't take much to play stuff.. listen to the song.. look up the tabs.. play them.

I caught on pretty fast though..

I'm already working on some Satriani stuff :X

your full of **** man, you're the type of person that has no friends
Quote by TechnicolorType
Then don't, not my fault most people suck at guitar when they first start..
It doesn't take much to play stuff.. listen to the song.. look up the tabs.. play them.

I caught on pretty fast though..

I'm already working on some Satriani stuff :X

...........ok, i dont, thats why i said: "i......... dont believe you"

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
Quote by TechnicolorType
Nah, I have a bunch of friends, and you can guess what we always do.

Play guitar.

the type of person thas no friends is more like the people who are pissed off because someone learns how to do something and they are a bit jealous.

all I was doing was proving a point to why he should be able to play more then like 3 riffs to a song after playing a year.

ok, since this is the internet and anybody can lie about themselves like you, I'm going to say that I can play pretty much every song ever written and I wrote smoke on the water and sold it to deep purple. by the way, i reported you cuz i dont like you
Quote by TechnicolorType

Play guitar.

the type of person thas no friends is more like the people who are pissed off because someone learns how to do something and they are a bit jealous.

all I was doing was proving a point to why he should be able to play more then like 3 riffs to a song after playing a year.

because everybody is the same and learn at the same pace.
Quote by TechnicolorType

Play guitar.

?????? all your doing is attempting to make him feel like ****, but in turn just making yourself look like a poser and an ass. no one believes you, and i play bass, so im not jelous that you play the 6string better than me

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
Quote by TechnicolorType
You've been playing for a year and that's all you know?

I've been playing for a bit over a month, without any teachers, I know how to play over 50 riffs, 15 full songs, around 5-10 solos, can do a buncha' other methods like tapping fairly well.

Don't be so condescending, maybe he's not a liar.

Thats fairly impossible. 2 Riffs a day, a song every other day, and a few solos a week in your first month of picking up a guitar? O.o Somethings fishy...Unless you're playing modern pop or greenday or nirvana or linkin park or something..

I think a teacher would help. I've been playing about a year, but I play several hours a day, to keep up with my fellow band guitarist who's been playing 6 years. That and SRV bugs me that he can kick so much ass and I can't (yet). You should be a tad farther along than you are, to say the least...
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Quote by TechnicolorType
I could care less if they believe me or not, I've already been able to tell I'm dealing with a bunch of immature little teenagers by everyones reaction.

i say will elimintae this guy and report him.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Thats fairly impossible. 2 Riffs a day, a song every other day, and a few solos a week in your first month of picking up a guitar? O.o Somethings fishy...Unless you're playing modern pop or greenday or nirvana or linkin park or something..

I think a teacher would help. I've been playing about a year, but I play several hours a day, to keep up with my fellow band guitarist who's been playing 6 years. That and SRV bugs me that he can kick so much ass and I can't (yet). You should be a tad farther along than you are, to say the least...

Riffs aren't hard to learn dude..
I always learn new stuff everyday.
I play pretty much all day, it's my obsessionnn.
I don't practice because I need to, I just play for fun because love it.

and might be about 2 months of playing almost.

does that help?
Quote by zombiesabbath
i say will elimintae this guy and report him.

Yeah, let's 'elimintae' him.

You guys are the ones starting things.
Quote by TechnicolorType

and i will end it also, eat ****
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Don't be so condescending, maybe he's not a liar.

I work full time and was attending school over the past year so i didn't have alot of time to play. But I am done with school now so i have a bit more time to play and what not. I know i am behind compare to other people.
Quote by TechnicolorType
I could care less if they believe me or not, I've already been able to tell I'm dealing with a bunch of immature little teenagers by everyones reaction.

again, i dont care that you dont care, no one believes you, and you arent welcome here. just stop.

stop

stop.

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
SlinkyBlue's break down sounds pretty accurate.

Lay off him anyway, may he eat **** if he is lying. But whatever.

If it makes you feel better thread starter, I have been playing for 10 months and there isn't a hooker alive who has sucks as much ball as I STILL do.
Quote by TechnicolorType
Riffs aren't hard to learn dude. Hah. What an understatement. Try playing some texas blues, and quit learning fall out boy.
I always learn new stuff everyday. Aren't you special?
I play pretty much all day, it's my obsessionnn. You have no life.
I don't practice because I need to, I just play for fun because love it. Who plays because they "need to"?...

and might be about 2 months of playing almost. Aha! Like that makes a huge difference.

does that help? Nah. Just pissed me and the OP off with your self-absorbed cockiness.

My apolgies for my own assholeish-ness, however it would not have happend if you did not put yourself so above everyone else in this thread.

EDIT for relavence to thread: How often do you play, OP? Are you serious about it or just a hobby? Teachers can help if you're really dedicated. If you aren't they can change your hobby into a chore.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by The*Music*Man
again, i dont care that you dont care, no one believes you, and you arent welcome here. just stop.

stop

stop.

I'm with you bro. i hate people that think they're better than everyone else but they can't back it up
Quote by jacks0nFTW
I work full time and was attending school over the past year so i didn't have alot of time to play. But I am done with school now so i have a bit more time to play and what not. I know i am behind compare to other people.

Not to be hard on you if I was, I play all day everyday pretty much which is why I am doing quite well.
Quote by zombiesabbath
I'm with you bro. i hate people that think they're better than everyone else but they can't back it up

Never said I was better then anyone, you all said that I said that and you keep going on and on about something.

You kids need to seriously grow up..
Quote by TechnicolorType

no, you started it when you came in here all high and mighty talkin **** about this dued looking for our help. go away, i think people like you should go live on your own little island............. without a computer.

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
Quote by TechnicolorType
Not to be hard on you if I was, I play all day everyday pretty much which is why I am doing quite well.

Christ.

Just stop posting.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by TechnicolorType

then why aren't you playing right now??
Quote by zombiesabbath

owned.

/thread.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
owned.

/thread.

what do you have to say now "TechnicolorType" (really gay name)
Quote by zombiesabbath

This is a guitar tab website, do you understand what a guitar tab is?
Quote by SlinkyBlue
My apolgies for my own assholeish-ness, however it would not have happend if you did not put yourself so above everyone else in this thread.

EDIT for relavence to thread: How often do you play, OP? Are you serious about it or just a hobby? Teachers can help if you're really dedicated. If you aren't they can change your hobby into a chore.

It was a hobby when i first started. But now that i have more time in am really interested. Over the past week or so I've been playing more than ever (about 2-3 hours a day). Prior to that i usually just pick it up once a day for 20 or so minutes and fiddle around.
Quote by TechnicolorType

Hehe. No, he's here for his health.

Why are you on the forums on the tab threat site?? Whoaaa!

Go look at tabs. Seriously. You're -1000 in everyone's book right now.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by TechnicolorType

dude, just go away.
Quote by TechnicolorType

yeah, and...........
this is the forums section, not the tabs.

AGAIN
you arent welcome here, you just backed yourself into a big corner. Go learn fall out boy

Quote by chaoticmayhem

its so good to be back!
Technicolor, zombiesabbath and SlinkyBlue all have warnings. Any continuation of this flamewar will result in instant bans. Drop it. Now.

"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by jacks0nFTW
oh and guys, stop feeding the troll

Will-do.

Alright. Well, its great that you're picking it up. Its a great feeling to get a song down that you never thought you could when you picked up that guitar, you just got to have the dedication like "I can do this!" Watch some videos on youtube to observe techniques, learn the Pentatonic Scale (every classic rock and blues muscian's mainstay!) and start to learn to control your bends better, thats very important.

Once you get to the point where you're like "Well, I did what I can, now I need some help" then I think you should get a teacher. Teaching yourself is also a great way to create your own style, not your teachers.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Hehe. No, he's here for his health.

Why are you on the forums on the tab threat site?? Whoaaa!

Go look at tabs. Seriously. You're -1000 in everyone's book right now.

actually he's lower than that on my book.
Quote by zombiesabbath
actually he's lower than that on my book.

Shhh. Xifr caught us. =)
-Jim Morrison
Page 1 of 2