I have had stuttering problems ever since I began speaking. I don't really stutter while a sentence is coming out or while a couple of words are being said but sometimes I have an extremely hard time getting out single words that start with M, L, B, and a few others. Same with sentences, I can't get the first letter out but once I do the entire sentence just flows smoothely. When I am in the process of being stuck on a letter my eyes shut, head tilts back, and I tense up a lot, and then the letter bursts out really fast and then the sentences comes smooth.

Well I have been playing guitar for about a year and I have had similar issues but I haven't considered a link between the stuttering problem and guitar playing until today. For example when there is a sweep passage that I have to play starting from nothing a small rest (second Hangar 18 solo), I stiffen up and can't get the first note down and tense up, eyes close, and all just like stuttering but once the first note goes, the rest come smoothly. This is also common in alternate picking runs that start from a small rest or something like that. The only kind of solo I seem to be able to start smooth and keep smooth is a solo that starts with a bend...
Quote by Schecter10

Well I have been playing guitar for about a year and I have had similar issues but I haven't considered a link between the stuttering problem and guitar playing until today. For example when there is a sweep passage that I have to play starting from nothing a small rest (second Hangar 18 solo), I stiffen up and can't get the first note down and tense up, eyes close, and all just like stuttering but once the first note goes, the rest come smoothly. This is also common in alternate picking runs that start from a small rest or something like that. The only kind of solo I seem to be able to start smooth and keep smooth is a solo that starts with a bend...

theres your guitar playing problem
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
^Haha yes. Major League Baseball
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
Quote by axeslinger01
theres your guitar playing problem

No, like even if I am playing something that is slow, the first note is always hard to get out.
i doubt it, its probably mental/ i.e. you think you have a problem so you make one. (not trying to make you sound insane or anything.)
Member #19 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club."

Quote by chaoticmayhem
Toads are cool; it's those frog bastards that I don't like.

Whats your philosophy on life?
its so good to be back!
I can relate perfectly. I've been stuttering since I could speak as well, and know how difficult and frustrating it can be. I cannot however recall any situations where my playing or the fluidity of my hands become choppy or interrupted by "stuttering" of the muscle. As everyone has them, it is most likely a fault in your technique. But I would not be surprised if there is some connection with stuttering and guitar playing. If there is one it is most likely linked psychologically and not physically.
Quote by CHERRYSODA
I can relate perfectly. I've been stuttering since I could speak as well, and know how difficult and frustrating it can be. I cannot however recall any situations where my playing or the fluidity of my hands become choppy or interrupted by "stuttering" of the muscle. As everyone has them, it is most likely a fault in your technique. But I would not be surprised if there is some connection with stuttering and guitar playing. If there is one it is most likely linked psychologically and not physically.

Yea actually the speech guy at school told me my stuttering case is primarily psychological and mental which is why I was thinking the same psychological process occurs when playing guitar.
Quote by grunger
You've been playing for a year?

Hangar 18?

I've just been playing some of the first soloes slowly because I like the song a lot...but I don't plan on being able to play it at full speed for a while.
ahh ok fair nuff, thats okay then.

I thought your were freakishly spitting out solos.. with stutters. But then again that normal at that time of guitaring i guess. Relaxing my hand help a lot when playing at high tempos.
stuttering is only common in English and a few other languages, it happens because it is such a difficult language to speak. people that stutter in English usually wont in other languages if their bilingual. it happens because you are thinking of a word that comes after the word your trying to say, so you stutter. this doesn't happen in say Spanish because it is such a fluid language.

basically your anticipating the later notes to much, if you concentrate on them one at a time you'll be able to overcome this, and making your playing more fluid could also help. but mostly its about trying not to get ahead of your self.
The Floshman
Quote by jelly.flipper
stuttering is only common in English and a few other languages, it happens because it is such a difficult language to speak. people that stutter in English usually wont in other languages if their bilingual. it happens because you are thinking of a word that comes after the word your trying to say, so you stutter. this doesn't happen in say Spanish because it is such a fluid language.

basically your anticipating the later notes to much, if you concentrate on them one at a time you'll be able to overcome this, and making your playing more fluid could also help. but mostly its about trying not to get ahead of your self.

Lol I speak a little bit of Spanish and just realized that what I can speak, I never stutter at all, you are right. Alright I'll try to do what you said about concentrating on notes one at a time like you said, thx.
Quote by jelly.flipper
stuttering is only common in English and a few other languages, it happens because it is such a difficult language to speak. people that stuttered in English usually wont in other languages if their bilingual. it happens because you are thinking of a word that comes after the word your trying to say, so you stutter. this doesn't happen in say Spanish because it is such a fluid language.

What?! you think people don't stutter when speaking Spanish? well then i don't know what kind of problem an old friend of mine had when i was in my Spanish-speaking country but he stutter too. And a person doesn't stutter because it anticipates the next words in a sentence, the reason has to do with some problems in the brain, not the language.