I play with a rogue strat knock off right now and I also have a rogue AMP. I'm guessing that they cost about $100 each(I don't know, my parents bought them for me on Christmas a few years ago) and I think that I need to upgrade, But I don't know what to do. So I decided to ask UG first and see if you could help. I know that the AMP is a 30W and that's about all I know so far. The guitar has done me well, but it just lacks that certain sound that I'm looking for(I think it's just because it doesn't have verry good P/U's).

So far the combo that I like the best would be the Schecter tempest(not the hellraiser, just the normal one) and the Vox valvetronix AD50VT. What do you think?

As for my playing style, I really don't know how to explain it. I guess I like to play just about everything, I have been learning some songs though and most of them are rock, so I guess that.
Last edited by B_MONEY$$$ at Nov 10, 2007,
Wow. Honestly, I'd say both. Thats not a really great setup for an aspiring guitarist. At least upgrade to a Cube 30 for the amp. Strats are good for everything too, especially HSS, and they look hotter than tempest's in my humble opinion =)
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Yeah the Cube would be pretty good for some heavier tones but a Vox AD##VT would have a variety of tones if you're into that sort of thing. What's your budget?
Up the Irons
always upgrade amp first if u are unhappy with ur sound. a crappy guitar will sound much better through a good amp, but the best guitar will still sound crappy thru a bad amp.
Quote by dime187
getcha a dean...any Dean....they kick ass

Nah man...deans are a bit overpriced and not good for a beginner due to the fact that you have to stand to play most of them.

They kinda look like toys too.

I like the Vox hybrid amp idea, good amplifiers. Upgrade your amp first, for sure.
-Jim Morrison
Yeah, I kinda thought it was gonna go that way.

Oh and my budget is about $600 for the guitar(anyone have any suggestions?), and I was kinda hoping tospend under $300 for the amp, is that a little too low?
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
Yeah, I kinda thought it was gonna go that way.

Oh and my budget is about $600 for the guitar(anyone have any suggestions?), and I was kinda hoping tospend under $300 for the amp, is that a little too low?

OOO, very nice. Get a nice mexi strat HSS dude! You'll love it, guaranteed.

For that budget, I'd say go for the Vox tube hybrid.

Now that would be a kickass setup right there.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
OOO, very nice. Get a nice mexi strat HSS dude! You'll love it, guaranteed.

For that budget, I'd say go for the Vox tube hybrid.

Now that would be a kickass setup right there.

+1
Listen to this guy, exactly what I was going to recommend

The MIM Strat will be $400 so you can use the remaining $200 for a new Humbucker (stock one is not that great) and more importantly, it can be put towards getting a good Vox Valvetronix
Up the Irons
Quote by King Jesus

Listen to this guy

Sigged! yay! x)

Good man, King.
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Nah man...deans are a bit overpriced and not good for a beginner due to the fact that you have to stand to play most of them.

They kinda look like toys too.

I like the Vox hybrid amp idea, good amplifiers. Upgrade your amp first, for sure.

Those $99 dollar Dean Vendettas are kinda strat style so you can sit, and they are pretty good guitars.
^Good? I have enough trouble pronouncing the wood it's made of, not even mentioning the rather slow neck.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by King Jesus
+1
Listen to this guy, exactly what I was going to recommend

The MIM Strat will be $400 so you can use the remaining $200 for a new Humbucker (stock one is not that great) and more importantly, it can be put towards getting a good Vox Valvetronix

I was kinda looking for something other than a strat. What about the faded sg from gibson?
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
I was kinda looking for something other than a strat. What about the faded sg from gibson?

Why are you shunning the strat?

SG's are okay but not nearly as versatile as strats. Bit heavy too...and i find their necks uncomfortably thick.
-Jim Morrison
I don't know, I just kinda wanted to go with somthing different. And yeah, I just watched a vid on youtube and I don't really like the sound of the SG.
Low cost epi les paul? What sound do you want?

It sounds to me like you don't know what you want. I would go to the store and try stuff out on a good amp. Stay with that amp, maybe one we recommend you buy. Try the guitars you like. Don't buy anything till you come back and look up how good it is.

Good luck
Quote by B_MONEY$$$

I find that the Faded series from Gibson is a poor excuse for an American guitar. The finish is pretty rough, the quality control is sub-standard and they're pretty overpriced (although that could be seen as part of the Gibson tradition).

I also second the suggestion for the HSS strat, which should give you a wide variety of tones.

Quote by Masonpwiley
Those $99 dollar Dean Vendettas are kinda strat style so you can sit, and they are pretty good guitars.

Buying a $99 dollar beginners Dean on a six hundred dollar budget isn't a very good idea and probably won't give the TS much of an upgrade.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Last edited by Bonsaischaap at Nov 10, 2007,
Actually, I was kinda wondering what the quality of the epis are. I have read some really bad things about them on musicians friend, But I have also read some really bad things abouy a gibson too so I'm not sure what to believe.
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
Actually, I was kinda wondering what the quality of the epis are. I have read some really bad things about them on musicians friend, But I have also read some really bad things abouy a gibson too so I'm not sure what to believe.

Just because Gibson has a good name, doesn't mean that what they're producing these days automatically has to be good.

I find that Epiphone makes some pretty nice guitars, which are even more attractive due to their low price tag. Personally, I'd take a high end Epiphone over a low end Gibson.
Quote by darkarbiter7
^Good? I have enough trouble pronouncing the wood it's made of, not even mentioning the rather slow neck.

i can help:
plas (pronounced like glass)
tic (like the bug (tick))

this dean is a terrible idea. these guitars have toothpicks for necks, plastic bodies that are somehow still incredibly fragile, garbage pickups and frets that'd cut through carrots.

for this price range, I would recommend a low wattage tube amp. the TS already has a practice amp with mid-range tone, why not get one with good tone that can eventually be used in the studio, etc? epi VJ ftw! great amp to grow with.

and for a guitar, I would get something from fernandes, godin or malden depending on the style of music.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by Bonsaischaap
I'd take a high end Epiphone over a low end Gibson.
And what qualifies as a high end Epiphone?
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
And what qualifies as a high end Epiphone?

Well, the absolute high end Epiphones are the Elitists, like this one:

Yes, they do come in other colours as well, it'just that I have a knack for tasteless 80's guitars...

However, I've played quite a few non-Elitist Epiphones as well and it wouldn't be fair to dismiss the Standards and above. If you can try it before you buy, allowing you to check for any flaws, these make some great guitars.
Well, thats the problem. I can't try anything before I buy it, Everything sucks where I live and I don't have a music store that will allow me to try out any kind of nice guitar.

Oh yeah and what do you think of the Vox AD50VT?
Last edited by B_MONEY$$$ at Nov 10, 2007,
Quote by B_MONEY$$$
Well, thats the problem. I can't try anything before I buy it, Everything sucks where I live and I don't have a music store that will allow me to try out any kind of nice guitar.

Oh yeah and what do you think of the Vox AD50VT?

I've heard some very good things about them.

Personally, I'd go for a Roland cube 30 or 60, but it's down to what you prefer.

Why not go to youtube and watch some videos of people using this amp, at least it will give you a rough idea of what they sound like.

By the way, musicstores tend to be much friendlier if you walk in with:

a) the lines: "I have amount X saved up and want to buy an Epiphone Les Paul."

or

b) your parents. Nothing spells "I'm going to buy something" like bringing a parent. To musicstores, they're walking wallets, so you can be pretty sure they'll let you try things if you're accompanied by them.

Also, the amps I mentioned, as well as the Vox, aren't very expensive and widely available.
Quote by Bonsaischaap

By the way, musicstores tend to be much friendlier if you walk in with:

a) the lines: "I have amount X saved up and want to buy an Epiphone Les Paul."

or

b) your parents. Nothing spells "I'm going to buy something" like bringing a parent. To music stores, they're walking wallets, so you can be pretty sure they'll let you try things if you're accompanied by them.

Also, the amps I mentioned, as well as the Vox, aren't very expensive and widely available.

I don't think you understand what I meant. I mean that there are no music stores where I live that even have a nice guitar, they are all really lame little like $200-$300 guitars, nothing even worth trying out.