Hey guys, just wondering how do I take a song and convert it to a lower key so I can sing it? Its just out of my vocal range. I know I can move the capo down a fret, but is that the only solution?
Quote by |2eM!x
Hey guys, just wondering how do I take a song and convert it to a lower key so I can sing it? Its just out of my vocal range. I know I can move the capo down a fret, but is that the only solution?

Tune your guitar lower, or just play everything a certain number of frets lower.
Okay well what if I am playing something capod for example or eighth fret? Is the only way to do it move the capo down one fret?
Quote by |2eM!x
Okay well what if I am playing something capod for example or eighth fret? Is the only way to do it move the capo down one fret?

Aslong as you play the notes one semitone/fret lower then you would play them with the capo in its original position.
Quote by |2eM!x

No, but it's the easiest... that way you can play the same shapes and 'frets' (relative to capo) while having it in a 'lower' key. (I don't like talking about keys as 'higher or lower' because that's not really what it is, but for the sake of the discussion, we'll use it.)

Why don't you want to move the capo down? You seem nervous about doing that... haha.
a) if possible, just move everything down X frets
b) downtune if you really want it to sound like the original
c) if its just chords or something you can just use a different voicing, eg: if the song goes B A E you could move it to A G D and still retain the basic tonality
d) move what you're playing on guitar up (possible with a capo) enough and then sing an octave lower so it'll come into your range

edit: if its already capo'd....then just move the capo down
Quote by To The End
move everything 12 frets down

this wouldn't change the key. the could be exactly the same, but an octave lower.

You could learn the chords in the key, and then change the key mentally, or you could "move the capo" /lower it x amount of frets.

If you move it an even 12 frets, you're lowering it an octave, and hence: the key would be the same.

what's the chord progression, and then what key do you intend on playing it in?
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by seljer
a) if possible, just move everything down X frets
b) downtune if you really want it to sound like the original
c) if its just chords or something you can just use a different voicing, eg: if the song goes B A E you could move it to A G D and still retain the basic tonality
d) move what you're playing on guitar up (possible with a capo) enough and then sing an octave lower so it'll come into your range

edit: if its already capo'd....then just move the capo down

hehe isnt "C" a by product of "A" ;]? and a way of doing that would be "D", wuuurd
Quote by ouchies
hehe isnt "C" a by product of "A" ;]? and a way of doing that would be "D", wuuurd

you can't move down open strings in some cases (eg: if you've got some metal song where its the low E string being palm muted for half the song) but its not an issue for more acousticy songs

actually as far I IV V progressions go
C F G
D G A
E A B
G C D
A D E
F B C
find the one that best fits your vocal range for whatever song you're doing that uses these 3 chords