I was at the local guitar store the other day and was jamming on it. I didn't really care for it too much because I thought it sounded very dry.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
i'm one of the couple who don't like it. they sound mushy overall, clean channel breaks up too early, overdrive channel wasn't that impressive.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^^ I agree with the guy above. Not hugely great really, you'd be better spending your money (if you're thinking about getting one) one something else.
It is good. Clean channel break up? What the hell volume are you playing it? Distortion's not as great, but a new set of tubes and its brilliant.
^yea clean channel was breaking up around 4.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Lies. Honestly, maybe you got a duff one, because I'm playing with it now on clean at 5, and there is no noticable breakup to my ears.

I dare not turn it louder for fear of pissing of my neighbours.
^dunno. but mine did. i'll go see if they have another better valveking at my local GC. i can't believe it had such a mushy tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Also, generally the speaker sounds a bit flubby until you break it in at about 30 hours playing. Then it gets noticably tighter.
Because it could almost be a marketing ploy, like the Hybrid amps. Every newbie that thinks he understands somehting about amp will go "ZOMG ITS GOT VALVES IN IT IT MUST BE AWESOME", when in fact the VK is very lifeless, undirectional with your sound and dull. It's just a valve amp for the sake of it, there's no actual feeling behind it.
It's decent for metal, but nothing more than that. It's way better than the Vox Valvet. though - that thing sucks really hard.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
The Valveking stock, is mediocre. With upgrades, it's sweet as - first thing to do is put EHX preamp valves in, then change the boring 6L6s for some JJ EL34, get a Celestion V30 in there, and then it's a brilliant piece of kit. 6L6s don't compliment the flabby stock speaker and the amp's tone, and the EL34s will give you more Middage. The EHX 12AX7 give you more bass and roar in the gain, and the V30 is just all around far better than the stock speaker. End Result? Marshally tone, 60w, good speaker, awesome.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
^ whoa u made me wanna buy 1...... still in between peavey vk n laney vc now. :p
Quote by JackFlash19
A musician will work through bad gigs, rough relationships with bandmates, disagreements, and the like to further the success of the band.
^ VK is more modern orientated and those mods will definitely gear it further that way, VC more vintage. But the VCs are unreliable. Like 6 people on this forum have a VC, 4 have broken kinda unreliable. But the VKs NEED those mods to sound as good as they can.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
basically, as which ones pink correctly said, just because it's valve doesn't mean it's good.

That being said, even the stock version is decent, IMO, if you need a reasonable amount of versatility (but veering slightly more towards modern stuff), and loudness, for a budget.

Not owning one, I obviously haven't tried those mods mr carrott mentioned, but they certainly sound plausible for enhancing the tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've played a couple of them, and to me the cleans sounded alright, nothing spectacular, bu the distortion was well...someone else said "flubby", and I think that's a good way to put it. I kinda doubt that the speakers on these were broken in yet, though, and I'm sure all those mods would make it sound helluvalot nicer.
Dunlop Straps™
The best sounding straps on the market

Quote by steven seagull
Justice is this, justice is that...justice is 9 minutes long and recorded in a cupboard full of fluffy pillows
I hated it when I tried it. I suppose changing valves or the speaker would improve it but honestly, the kind of people who buy them are on a budget and would be better off getting something that's good stock.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
My spider 2 is better.

Yup one band practise i couldent get my amp to the studio where we practise. So i used theirs which was a valveking. Sounded dry, thin and generally rubbish.

But i had a feeling that the valve was worn out though.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by Muppet
It's decent for metal, but nothing more than that. It's way better than the Vox Valvet. though - that thing sucks really hard.

As an owner and a sound engineer with a little experience, i can tell you that even though you don't like it, the valvetronix does not suck. I've had mine for 6 months, i still think if i didn't have it, i'd want one

I've had no experience with the peavey valveking though, the practice hall my band is going to start practicing at has one so i'll probably try it, just out of curiosity.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I liked the AD30VT that i played at guitar center very much ^^.

I think the valve king isn't bad but it depends what you want. Also it depends if the amp is broken in. I played a little Royal 8 at my local music store where it prolly was hardly ever used, and the thing sounded like a piece of sh!t! I was like wow cause it didn't even compare to the champ 600, but at GC I got to play the 50W 112 Valveking and it sounded pretty good and not as cold as the royal 8. But maybe if you play around with it you'll be able to get more warmness.

And the spiders being better than the valveking, imo I say hell no!
is it good? yes. is it great? nah. but it would be one heck of an upgrade from your Marshall MG!
Jumping Jax Champion 1965!