hi. this is my friends account hes lending me to ask this.

at the moment i have a Behringer 3000A bass amp. im kinda sick of it as its too big and bulky to carry around, plus it has an annoying shape.

i have these 3 bass amps in mind to upgrade to. ill put the prices in aswell for people.

1. Ampeg BA115 Combo - $1189AUD
2. Ashdown Five Fifteen Combo - $425AUD
3. Gallien Krueger Backline Combo - $1049AUD

the ampeg and ashdown are both 100W. the GK is a 300W 2x10. this is pretty cheap for a GK.

I need peoples opinions on their tone etc and if anyone owns/tried one and what they thought of it. also how big they are and if they are/would be easy enough to carry around.
depends what you like

i like a vintage tone and the punch of a 15 so the Ampeg is what i'd buy

however the GK would be pretty awesome.

It's up to you
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
I own the BA-115, and I'm quite happy with it. It isn't exactly easy to move at 62 pounds and only one handle on top, but that's about the last thing I worry about in an amp.
Warwick Corvette Double Buck 5 String
Ibanez GSR190
Ibanez RG3EX1
Cort Earth-70
1962 Danelectro Silvertone 1448
Ampeg BA-115
Line 6 Spider II 210
Vox DA5
Autographed Dunlop Wylde Wah
M-Audio Keystation 49e
i know the ampeg and gallien have that wedge in the back, would u still be able to put some casters on or would you have to make a skateboard? doesnt really matter much but i get the sh*ts with heavy amps lol.
have you thought about going for a bass head and an extension cab as opposed to a combo ?

separate head and cab would be easier to move around than a combo ?

yeah why is that bass combos are so fricking heavy compared to guitar combos ?
Quote by Aidy Damage
Ashdowns are extremely sexy no matter what model you get.

Yes they are (although I'd always recommend used Ashdown over new, and 10" speakers over 15s)
I'd always recommend Ashdown over Ampeg if you live anywhere outside of the USA (and probably anywhere within the USA too...) unless you're set on buying a high end Ampeg model. You get so much more value for money with Ashdown. For only a little more than the price of a BA-115 you can get an Ashdown MAG amp of equal quality, and with so much more muscle I'm shocked that people still keep buying low end Ampegs.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I'm definately buying a new EB 180 (I used to have one, had to sell it), or a Five Fifteen if that compares well to it.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, I just purchased me a MAG300H head with 410 cab from Thomann. Many people do because they're damn good value.

How long will it take to get here?

Ordered some pedals from there a while back- only took a couple of days.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, I just purchased me a MAG300H head with 410 cab from Thomann. Many people do because they're damn good value.

How long will it take to get here?

My Ashdown stuff took a week or so from them, and congrats on the new amp!

I'd always recommend Ashdown over Ampeg if you live anywhere outside of the USA (and probably anywhere within the USA too...) unless you're set on buying a high end Ampeg model. You get so much more value for money with Ashdown. For only a little more than the price of a BA-115 you can get an Ashdown MAG amp of equal quality, and with so much more muscle I'm shocked that people still keep buying low end Ampegs.

Listen to him, the MAG is not much more and is a much better amp in general.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
ok thanks guys. would there really be a point in getting a head and cab if im trying to downgrade because my current amp is too big? or is it really that much easier to cart around?

and if i were to get the MAG, what cab should i get? 2x10? i want the punch rather than bass.
Quote by tombo32
ok thanks guys. would there really be a point in getting a head and cab if im trying to downgrade because my current amp is too big? or is it really that much easier to cart around?

and if i were to get the MAG, what cab should i get? 2x10? i want the punch rather than bass.

Get the 410. Every 210 I've tried isn't loud enough.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
yeah but like i wanna have a smallish amp. its not like im jamming at venues yet or anything. but yeah. its more just band jams, personal hobby. but im planning to try be a bassist for a band. dont know yet but would there be much point in getting a 410 if yeah i want a smaller amp?